1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by sugarfr33, Feb 22, 2021 at 2:48 PM.

1. sugarfr33

sugarfr33 Newbie

Hi everyone, new member here, grateful for the opportunity to join the community. Reevaluating my entertainment choices due to pandemic, I think it will be a long while before things will get back to "normal". I am looking for a new hobby, something I can play with in the garden, get my kids to spend more time outside and maybe entertain friends with. Air rifle or pistol came to mind and I am trying to chose my first gun. I must have watched every YouTube video and I am still none the wiser. There is an airgun club about 20 minute drive from where I live (closed now obviously until restrictions on outdoor sport end) and I must pay them a visit, but in the meantime, I am after something that:
    • can be used in my garden without alerting the neighbours too much
    • can be used to dispatch an occasional rodent trying to burrow under my deck
    • doesn't cost more than £500 (for a rifle)
    • I can potentially use for some target shooting if I like the airgun club without other shooters rolling on the floor laughing
    I could buy an air pistol but as far as I am aware, they are not powerful enough to deal with a rat quickly and humanely, on the other hand, an advantage of a pistol is that it is small and I can even use it in my garage without attracting anyone's attention. On the other hand, a decent pistol (not a BB toy) can be worth £200+, which is almost the price of a basic starter PCP (like Gamo GX-40). I saw a review of Gamo PT-85 Blowback Tactical but that is £150 (half the price of GX-40) and may be a bit of fun, but I think it is really more of a toy. On the other hand, the longest distance I can shoot in my garden is 18 metres (I live in a new build house, garden sizes are not very generous) or 10 metres if I want to use back wall of my garage as a backstop, rather than an outer fence (may not sit too good with neighbours). Basically then, should I:
    • get something like PT-85 blowback (or tactical with extra gadgets) and just accept it is a toy
    • get something like SMK Victory CP2 Multi but although it is fully powered as a pistol, doesn't look realistic at all and as a rifle, it doesn't feel like something people would use for club shooting - but perhaps flexible enough to play around in my garden and maybe even get rid of a pesky rat from not too far away
    • forget about toys and either get one of the £500 Gamo kits (plenty for sale with a GX-40 or Phox, a scope, moderator and sometimes even a stirrup pump and a slip) but that is likely not be very useful in a small garden
    • spend a bit more and buy a slightly more respectable PCP rifle for £500-600 and buy other gear/accessories individually - but then I will be spending twice my budget and end up with something I can use for target shooting at a range, but to big/powerful to wield around a small garden.
    I am leaning towards getting a pistol first and if I like it, and/or like the local club, upgrade to a more powerful/suitable rifle for target shooting. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

2. Lukeypoodle

Lukeypoodle Engaging Member

Glock 19 NBB for the garden leaves you about £380 for a rifle. That'll get you an HW99, tune and scope. Job jobbed.

sugarfr33 likes this.
  3. Rat Man

Rat Man Comfortably Numb

Hi and welcome to the forum!

sugarfr33 likes this.
  4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

Me personally, and they get rave reviews from very serious shooters.......

I would get a Gamo kit, be it Phox, Coyote or GX etc.

Difference between the three is the stock and number of shots mainly, all will require a silencer so of the kit doesn’t come with on (the GX doesn’t IIRC) then budget £40-£50 for one.

Also worth looking at buying the rifle as an individual items and adding the following-

Scope - a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40AO would be perfect (better than the supplied scope in a kit)
    5-7 litre divers bottle (personally for me better than “pumping”
    Gun Slip

I reckon you’ll still come in around if not a bit more that £500 and you’ll have a nicer set up to start with.

I can’t fault the rifles though.

The Rat Hunter and sugarfr33 like this.
  5. mikeyhall1

And welcome to the forum

6. mikeyhall1

Also worth noting that you can get a lot more for your money second hand, and the sales section on this forum would be the best place to buy mate.

Byronic likes this.
  7. sugarfr33

sugarfr33 Newbie

many thanks for all advice!

8. Katoom390

Katoom390 Engaging Member

Welcome to the forum.

sugarfr33 likes this.
  9. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Welcome to the forum Sugar.

Have you considered a CP1?
    Should be able to pick one up for around 80-100 quid and will be spot on for 10m possibly even more.
    Think of it as a CP2 without the rifle barrel and a better stock.
    CP2 does give you more options but with a crappy stock.
    :thumb:

sugarfr33 likes this.
  10. Byronic

Byronic Good thing we are all different, eh?

Hi.
    One piece of advice, if I may?
    Please make sure that you have a secure backstop behind your targets.
    Even a relatively low powered pistol will go through most fences.

As has been said, secondhand might be wiser at first - wider choice and you will recoup most of your outlay if you decide to sell on.

Just focus on safety first and having fun second, please.

Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    sugarfr33 likes this.
  11. nevadacowboy

nevadacowboy Keyboard Hero

:welcome::welcome::welcome: All good advice from the guys above.

12. pjgtech

pjgtech Sleep, eat, work, eat, chillout, sleep, repeat.

:welcome:
    I used to used to take my CP2 down the local range, no-one laughed, in fact a few were keen to have a go with it, great little starter rifle, (co2 limitations accepted). Pistol, Rifle, single shot, multi shot, lightweight, etc.
    Or just get a S/H Air Arms S410 as you'll end up getting one at some point anyway if you stick with it... :D

sugarfr33 likes this.
  13. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

A very warm :welcome: to our fine forum, it’s good to have you join us … :thumb:

sugarfr33 likes this.
  14. Wilco

Wilco Happy airgunner

A very warm :welcome: mate,

Its lovely to hear you want to take up this noble sport and is a great way to spend time with family and friends.

I would agree with the advice given and try the gammo kits for starters.

Having a pistol is all well and good until you see ratty and thinks it's worth a shot, BIG NO NO. No pistol, no temptation.

Let me also alleviate any anxiety about joining a club. They WILL NOT laugh at your kit, clubs a are a great way to gain skills, knowledge and very good friends in a safe organised environment.

Be warned, it can become very addictive:D

Atb

Mike

There will be folk there with all sorts of guns , vintage, basic Springer right through to the top end stuff but ALL sharing the same passion.

sugarfr33 likes this.
  15. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

16. thispoison

thispoison On The Road To Nowhere

Welcome along! :nana:

sugarfr33 likes this.
  17. Inca

Inca Posting Addict

Another vote for the CP1 as suggested by Mr CP1 (Nubble) himself. A lot of gun for a little money, easy to strip if the urge takes you, fit a moderator and it’s very quite, print some paper targets and challenge yourself every time you use it. Backstops have been mentioned, buy a cat for the rats and welcome to the forum.

Nubble and sugarfr33 like this.
  18. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Replica Airgun Enthusiast

Howdy and :welcome: to our airgun community. :thumb:

sugarfr33 likes this.
  19. David M

David M Donator

Welcome along to the forum....:up:

sugarfr33 likes this.
  20. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Hi sugar,

I bid you a very warm welcome to our very fine forum, enjoy mate.

Regards.
    Les.

sugarfr33 likes this.