1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Loctite 242 / 243

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Brickhill, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Brickhill

Brickhill Engaging Member

A quick question if i may?
    I'm running a few spring powered air rifles at the moment. Two are rock solid in terms of where they are putting pellets shot to shot. Two are showing signs of poorer results. I'm confident it isn't anything to do with pellet choice. I've checked them on a bench and the screws seem to be working loose which must change the accuracy of these guns. Would you advise using the aforementioned loctite options to secure the screws in to a more permanent position?
    Is this recommended or are there any better alternatives?
    Many thanks in advance for your advices.

2. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Major Poster

As long as you only use a semi rather than a permanent grade then can't see an issue...

Most would just check the stock screws every so often though buddy...

You know, I've never had an issue with stock screws in all my years of shooting springers, weird ain't it... :shrug:

Brickhill and Seamaster like this.
  3. Zeroexpo123

Zeroexpo123 Engaging Member

I use a tiny amount of Blue Loctite on one of my springers that had stock screws that loosened; it's easy enough to break the bond by hand when doing routine maintenance.

Just don't use red Loctite as that requires heat to break the bond.

Two people at my range also use PTFE tape which also works.

Chouchin66, Brickhill and TORNADOS7 like this.
  4. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Pro Poster

It's only medium strength, I think 243 only has a better oil resistance VS 242, in case of not being able to degrease as effectively I suspect.

Perhaps if you took the austin 7 suspension coil spring out of the guns it wouldn't happen?

Brickhill and john79 like this.
  5. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

243 is perfect for a good fix that you can undo if you need to, i use it a lot on my knife pivots etc.
    I got a bit of a shock last time I checked the price, but I think that similar things are available from Halfords etc that will do the same job.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Brickhill likes this.
  6. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Very Active

243 will be fine. Just a dab on thread will do and its weak enough to break without heat.

Brickhill likes this.
  7. sabc

sabc Donator

Yep I use 243 a lot at work it’ll do the job if used sparingly.

Brickhill likes this.
  8. Brickhill

For years, I was the same with no issues. My HW80 looses accuracy after roughly 150 shots or so. I never has any issues with other HW80's

TORNADOS7 likes this.
  9. Brickhill

Thanks a lot fellas for your advices. I've just ordered some Loctite 243 off Amazon for £4.20. Small tube of the stuff but enough to do the job hopefully.

Zeroexpo123 and 2506sendero like this.
  10. PhatMan

PhatMan Posting Addict

Brickhill,

For 'every-day' use, I use Loctite 222, which is a low strength thread-locker; I use Loctite 242/3 when I need something a bit stronger.

One word of caution :

Do not use thread-locker on the front trigger guard screw of a TX200 !!!!

If you are unlucky, it will bind together the front trigger guard screw and the trigger block retaining screw.

When you then later try and remove the front trigger guard screw, screw, it will unscrew the trigger block retaining screw at the same time - you do not want that !!

Yes, this happened to me :(

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

Dag and Brickhill like this.
  11. Brickhill

Hi Russ, thanks for the heads up ! Fortunately it's not a TX200 effected. There are three springers i'm planning on treating. A webley falcon, Mercury and a HW80.
    Cheers!

12. Brickhill

Just thought i'd let you all know how i got on. My Loctite 243 off Amazon arrived yesterday for the princely sum of £4.20 delivered.
    I took all the suspect screws out of a Webley Falcon, Mercury S, Crosman Phantom Mk2 and an HW80. Probably overkill but I thought as I had the Loctite open "why the hell not", do them all while you're at it !
    I decided to let this loctite set for 24 hours, rightly or wrongly. This morning I put 20 shots through each gun, close range (15 yards) admittedly but the groups were much better for the
    Mercury S and the HW80. The other two guns were a bit better but i'm not sure they were that bad in the first place.
    So, the moral of the tale as far as i'm concerned is don't hesitate to put some loctite on your screws for your spring powered guns if you fancy shooting more consistently.
    Over to you !

Zeroexpo123 and Sandy man 1963 like this.