1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Living The Dream And Need Some Air Gun Advice Please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by livingthedream, Mar 19, 2020.

1. livingthedream

livingthedream Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Firstly, big hello :) We have recently moved to live the dream in the country. We are very lucky to have a big garden and would like some advice on purchasing an air rifle for a little target practice and shooting pigeons/rabbits for the pot. Looking to order ASAP and only looking to spend up to £200. I used to shot as a kid, long time ago now, had both .22 and .177 and would probably go for the latter, was a pretty good shot then :) Any advice, recommendations on gun, and seller would be fantastic.

Take care

Howlin Wolf and rabbitwrecker like this.
  2. schpier

schpier Well-Known Member

Well done on the move! My opinion: a .22 is probably more humane for the hunting thing although I’m opposed to any hunting myself
    If you’re in the U.K. then you are sadly very limited to the power available without the licensing stuff. If you are in the US the sky is the limit. Check on the rules for where you are. A good gas powered springer would suffice but a bolt action repeater would be better.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    livingthedream likes this.
  3. schpier

schpier Well-Known Member

4. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Welcome to the forum.

Your post about "looking to order" for about £200 may not be as easy as you think :rolleyes:

To get a good, accurate gun that you can dispatch quarry humanly with is going to be tough for that budget, even a cheap scope/rings will be £40/50, and then you have a bag/pellets/bipod etc...….. And then you have your ability to do this to question?

I'd suggest a bit more research and get a gun for plinking rather than hunting if your new to this and buying new. Buying something second hand will get you a better package for the money and then you need time to get to be a good shot with it, tin cans are easy, a pigeons twitching head at 30m is another level all together, even with a decent PCP. I'd go as far as to say I'm not good enough with a springer to be happy to take one hunting, and in all honesty I'm pretty good :eek:

Learn the ropes, don't go wounding animals to please your ego :thumb:

5. Glockwomble

Glockwomble Official Forum Glockwomble

:welcome:
    Welcome to the forum.

For around the £200 mark theres often decent springers and CO2 rifles for sale on here.

Might be worth also posting a wanted add on the sales section specifying what you're looking for and see what's on offer.

6. Rudolph Hucker

Rudolph Hucker Posting Addict

Welcome :)

Before you shoot anything, have a read of the general licenses - they'll tell you what you can shoot and, what circumstances you can shot them under.

Try the sales sections on here - your budget will go further on a used rifle.

Happy hunting :thumb:

7. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Beast of Bodmin !!

You can’t shoot pigeons in your garden no matter how big it is.

illegal.

check out general licences

rabbits are a different ball game

but... don’t think you can just buy an airgun and instantly become bear grylls...to become self sufficient overnight...

you need a lot of practice on paper targets before you attempt shooting a living creature.

a LOT of practice

you need to be able to hit a 2p bunny brain size target EVERY shot... no excuses... body shots are NOT HUMANE unless you are using very high powered section one firearm licence airguns...
    wounding a rabbit with a body shot from a sub 12 powered air gun is never acceptable...it is EXTREMELY unlikely to kill it...

it will run away and probably die of infection

I don’t think most sub-£200 ‘new’ airguns will be anything like suitable as hunters... power and accuracy is likely to be poor... second hand quality brands are well worth a look as they will be right up on the power limit with decent barrels and often come with tidy scopes :thumb:

PaulBB, gaj1612, Jagdwaffen and 8 others like this.
  8. Kalibrgun

Kalibrgun Busy Member

Used sorted hw99 or 95k possibly 77/97k

livingthedream and Lev Levvin like this.
  9. rob3082

rob3082 Posting Addict

HW 99
    Remington sabre
    Remington warhawk
    Remington express
    Hatsan 55/60s
    Bsa meteor silentium
    Comets fenix
    Hatsan breaker 900x
    Norica storm
    Webley vmx quantum
    Artemis sr900s

These are all accurate and powerful enough to take out most small quarry in the uk.
    All can be bought either under or around you're budget.

10. Lev Levvin

Yup... any of the Weihrauch springers are pin point accurate and lethal on small quarry :thumb:

Loads about second hand and German quality

11. Regal Man

Regal Man Pro Poster

Ideally , you need to save, at least double your money. To include mounts ,and scope. Go to a RFD and shoulder as many guns as you can.

I'd certainly, look at the Weihrauch range. Best of luck my friend.

12. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Welcome along @livingthedream and a lot of sound advice already offered above !

Regarding the rifle in the link above recommended by Schpier, avoid at all costs since it has a nasty shot cycle due to a horrible gasram system, stupid magazine that jams and causes inaccuracy as a result. The Weihrauch HW99 is hard to beat for the money and a rifle that many on here own and use to good effect for rabbit control - cheaper alternatives are the Remington Express or Hatsan Mod 50/60S or 900X :up:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    rabbitwrecker and livingthedream like this.
  13. Bunny-on-Bunny

Bunny-on-Bunny Posting Addict

Scratch the VMX from the list, even with the Quattro trigger their Censored.

Jay Butts, Matool and livingthedream like this.
  14. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

15. livingthedream

Thanks all, some great advice and recommendations. I will do some reading up :) Pellpax seem to do some good deals

Jay Butts likes this.
  16. livingthedream

I remember a few years back I was really impressed with Weihrauch HW99, sadly new is out of my reach and a good second hand possibly hard to find? Heard good things about the Remington Express as well. You are not so far from me :) Thanks

17. livingthedream

Thanks, agreed Weihrauch are lovely, but not within my reach. Take care

18. livingthedream

In the past I struggled to find a good second hand one and even then new was beyond my reach. Take care

19. Lev Levvin

These days you may be pleasantly surprised... my RFD always has a big selection of good quality German springers on the racks where people trade them in to upgrade to PCP rifles

I’d certainly avoid el-cheapo brand new Chinese types... the quality is diabolical

20. NaughtyBadCal

NaughtyBadCal Posting Addict

I can agree I have one you’ll be better off using it as a club to beat the rabbit to death with.