1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lipo questions

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Bluefrog, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Bluefrog

Bluefrog Busy Member

Got a few questions to ask

I have got a lipo battery for my diy nv setup. I have bought a lipo safe bag to put it in when charging. Does the battery need to stay in the bag when not in use ?

Also i know these batterys have a higher than normal chance of setting themselves on fire. Charging times ive heard range from 6hrs up to 10hrs .

It says dont leave the battery unattended when charging / when your sleeping. So how do people charge these batterys ?

Am i right in thinking too that the battery needs to be turned ON when charging too ?

Thanks guys

2. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

There was a case not long a go where a gun cabinet set on fire, it was caused by a Lipo battery just sat on the shelf. I would not risk keeping a Lipo battery in the house, maybe in the garden shed or a suitable container left outdoors.

3. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

I had a few when I had a couple of rc helicopters and had no problems. I think the main issue is the standard of the charger rather than the issues with the battery. A good quality balance charger I'd say is a must to ensure safer charging and prolonged battery life.
    All the best,Stu.

4. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

The main concern with lipos is the charging. They require a particular "curve" or style of charging to be efficiently charged. Using a charger that is not specifically designed for Lipos will damage them irreparably, and could "Possibly" cause them to overheat and begin an uncontrollable internal chemical reaction (Fire!).

However..................................... The lipos that have caught fire, are in most cases packs which are very high performance, high energy density packs that are being charged very hard or fast. That's a scenario which requires care!

A lipo-safe bag is a great idea, but maybe you should collect all your family's mobile phones.... any Tablets or iPads.... some compact cameras.... MP3 players etc. and make sure you never leave them unattended and if you do make sure they're kept safely in the bag too? As they all have lipos in them.....
    I'm sounding flippant I know, but you should bear in mind that lipos are everywhere! They are the current battery technology. There is however a trade off here? Companies like Apple, Samsung and HTC will spend many millions making sure they have safe, reliable battery and charging systems in their products. Then they will charge you a fortune for the pleasure... but you can be fairly sure that on the whole they are okay!
    If you buy a cheap Lipo from china on ebay, then you don't have the same guarantee that it's been thoroughly tested. So.................. stick it in a lipo-safe bag! Got an old metal saucepan and lid or cast iron pot? Stick it in that and put the lid on. Job done!

All of the batteries over the years that I've used in RC model flying, I've never left alone when charging, because they often needed serious grunt in their charge cycles, and were potentially dangerous because of their energy densities, but I wouldn't worry about a lipo in a safe bag on a slow charge.

5. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

We have one for an RC car, there's a setting on the battery charger if you are leaving the battery for long term storage. The model shop I went to said the only problem they had seen, came from shorting the lipo out.

HTH

John

6. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

Ive got some Lipo from here in UKL not exactly expensive and use the 7.4v for 8v supply and tyhe 11.1v for a 12v supply (after talking to he owner ) with one of his chargers Im only using 850mAh size as I only power the camera and a transmitter on the gun
    full charge is only a couple of hrs

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/radio-control/li-po-flight-packs.html

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/1000...ipo-life-battery-packs-complete-with-psu.html

Instruction s have charge times

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/le-3-01.PDF

7. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I have been using them for a few years with my NV & never had an issue, just be sensible :thumb: ........... :coffee:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  8. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I leave my on charge overnight and now use the bag safe but then I am awake most nights anyway to attend to the battery.

It must be switched on with the red light showing otherwise the circuit is blocked by it and the charge will not get to the cells.

I got rid of the two pin cheapo AC adapter/charger that came with the batteries and bought a better quality 3 pin UK spec adapter.

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Most of the cells used here are probably Li ion rather than LiPo but each needs to be charged in a specific way so only a charger for that type of battery should be used. A charging bag is a good idea but even so it should not be left on charge ince the charging cycle is finished. A good quality charger is also well worthwhile, I use a Nitecore i4 which automatically detects the battery type and charges accordingly, it will actually charge a mixture of different types at the same time.<br>As has been said the problems srise when batteries are charged too fast, for too long or when they are shorted or otherwise discharged at a high rate. This can also apply to any rechargeable battery, even your AAA ones if they are abused. The best way forward is to apply common sense to batteries, they do contain a lot of energy when fully charged and should be treated with respect.<br>The battery packs with on/off awitches will normally need to be switched ON in order to charge, the switch isolates both leads. It is worth putting these in a charging bag and charging them slowly, most of the chargers supplied will only provide a low current so, while they work, should be ok, never try using a car battery charger or any other charger which is not designed to work with this type of battery.

10. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

It's the Lithium in the batteries which can fuel a thermal runaway when shorted. The energy release if shorted can be huge, and when the reaction gets going it's difficult to stop. This will not happen with normal use.

Cells that spontaneously combust, are internal failures that cause a short. Badly made batteries is usually the answer there.

When they first arrived on the model flying scene, there were a number of people who lost there cars up in flames at the flying fields! It was manily caused by inappropriate charging techniques or just plain wrong chargers! And the fact that people put them in the boot, or bonnet or inside their cars to charge like they did with Nicads and Nimhs. It was early days though and the manufacturers were competing to land-grab a chunk of the market, and the cell build and chemistries weren't what they are now.
    Nicads used to explode on occasion in the earlys days as well!

Things are much better now. Most quality packs have protection built in, even to the single cell level such as a lot of the 18650 cells.

I got shouted at once for walking across a petrol station on my mobile phone! The signs are still up at most! I did some research when I got home. very few petrol stations go up in flames at all. Most are caused by deliberate arson, people crashing into the pumps, and other obvious forms of ignition. The numbers caused by unknown circumstances are very few indeed, something like 2 worldwide in the last 10 years! And in those few cases no one was using a mobile phone!
    If you think about it, you drive into a petrol station in your car, which can sometimes gain a static charge which shocks you when you touch it? Then you have a hot engine close to the ground, and a far hotter catalytic converter, let alone the possibly red hot turbocharger, not to mention the high tension spark plugs and coils, and then you step out with your steel tipped shoes and your nylon clothing(lol!) and then wave a nozzle around with fuel often spilling out of it........

It's a modern day myth that has saturated popular culture, that a spark from your phone could possibly make a petrol station catch fire! When did your mobile phone last spark at you????

Lipos are defineably safe, by virtue of the fact that billions of them are in use daily in mobile phones and other gadgets. We operate at the edge of this, so it pays to be sensible, but don't lose any sleep over it if you are sensible about using them.

11. weebster

weebster Posting Addict

I think the mobile and petrol station saga was more to do with the mobile interfering with the pump read out if you were talking on it at the time.....seem to recall the same fiasco with cb radio,myth was if you keyed the mike on the cb when filling up the pump didn't record the amount of fuel going in,whether it did work or not I have no idea.

12. Bluefrog

Bluefrog Busy Member

Thanks for all the advice guys .... first charge went well yesterday. Am keeping it in the bag at all times and have a fire extinguisher close by just in case

13. David M

David M Donator

I have used Li-poly batteries in R/C models since they became readily available and charge them using a quality Pro-Prodigy balancer charger (about £30). I charge them in the front room of an evening whilst with them. Most can be charged at 1C (i.e a 1300mAh battery can be safely charged at a rate of 1300mA) but I use a rate that tends to take about 3 hours. Lipos get damaged very easily if you over discharge them beyond 3.0v a cell and will puff and lose capacity, a good guidline is to only use 70% of their capacity before recharging, so try and measure what your equipment draws from them and work out how much run time you can have. The only time I've ever heard of a Lipo going up in flames was when a mate forgot to disconnect the battery from his R/C helicopter and he had the shock of his life when smoke billowed from his garage a few days later when it had over-discharged.

When my batteries are finished, I enjoy standing them against a wall and shooting them with my airgun. The pellet passes straight through and causes a delayed reaction in making them ignite, they fizz and flame like a firework, I then take the remains to the safe disposal place at the local tip.......:up: