1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Light and quiet PCP advice please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by man-tee, Mar 8, 2014.

1. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

Hello

I have and love to bits my TX200 HC Mrk 3 springer in 22 and now have the 'itch' again for another one.
    This time I feel like a total change so it's 177 and a pcp multi shot.
    Really like Air Arms as a brand so naturally thought the lower end S200 Mrk 3 177 with 10 shot kit would be the easy way to go.

Apart from the low shot count from a full tank what are the draw backs of the S200?
    I heard the noise was a bit loud for garden plinking so are they quiet with a silencer for the garden environment?

Also as I guess I would start out with a pump so how long would they take to fill from empty?
    Or how many pumps as a guide is it so pumps per so many shots?

I will try to find one before I buy.
    Also if there is a good second hand Mrk 3 with the bits in the Cambridgeshire area please feel free to nod me the wink.

However, please feel free to suggest a light weight quiet multi shot pcp that does not break the bank.

I thanks you for your welcome thoughts.

Cheers

2. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

hiya mate, I have a mark 2 s200 which I love to bits,( when its not underpower that is, earlier threads will explain this) mine is a bit loud without the air arms silencer on it, but oh well! I have one anyway!

the usual rule is two pumps for every shot I have heard, I usually pump mine up to about 170 and by the time I have finished with it, it is around 140, around 30 shots in total....

buy yeh I would defo reccomend one mate, but if you can you might be better saving up and getting an s400, as I am getting to the stage for an upgrade ;)

3. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Hi Man - tee

One of the quietest PCPs I've heard is the HW100. I don't know if it was the moderator or not, but Huggetts get a good review. I shoot Daystates myself, and they are not loud with the Reflex 5 moderators fitted, but they are certainly not as quiet as I've heard others, so I think it's more to do with the moderator and shroud than the actual rifle, though I'm sure that makes a difference.

I believe the S200 is an early version, and has now grown into the S400/410, but your looking at more money, and a better rifle (don't hate me if you have an S200).

The shot count issue is true of any cylinder rifle in the lower price brackets, to get over this you need to fit a regulator or an electronic one like Daystates Harper patent hammer which essentially iron out flat spots, give a lot more consistency in pellet velocity, and can increase shot count by as much as 100% depending on the rifle, but all at a cost.

As for the pump, my advice is do not buy one, get a cylinder.

I'm sure you will get many opinions on this, and that's good, it allows you to make an informed decision. But it was explained to me this way by a guy who had been there, done that, and bought the T shirt - By the time you have pumped up your rifle to full, you will not be able to fire it for the next half hour because you will be shaking after the exertion. I took this on board because it made sense, but it's your call as it's a long term cheaper option - but not by much when you take into consideration how many fills you get from say a 7L 300bar cylinder - with no pumping. You can always sell it again when you get board.

James

4. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Light and quiet is all about my UglyBetty.

5. gtfreight

gtfreight I want to retire.

Another option is the BSA Ultra in multi-shot. It has a low shot count but It's light and relatively cheap.

6. PhilD

PhilD Donator

as above if you can pick up a secondhand reg one this increases the shot count.

7. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Big believer in buy what you like, as it's only you who has to live with it..
    But why not go to a shop and try a few mentioned compare the weight. In all fairness small PCP rifles are not heavy today, using bech stocks, alloys and plastics.

Andrew

8. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

The s200 is a fine rifle, ive had the mk1,s, mk2,s and the new mk3......all in .177. Out of the lot my preference is for the mk2, and thats what i have still have.Yes the 200,s in .177 has a low shot count, if you are just hunting with one it should be fine.All my 200,s have been filled to 165_170 bar and return 35 consistant shots in .177. As a lightweigt rifle they are great and out of all the ones i have had, about 5 i think, i have never had any bothet with any of them touch wood ;) Filling a 200 with a pump is no bother, takes a couple of minutes tops, of course a bottle is easier, but you never run short of air with a pump :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Whoa! Nice and light? The S200 is about the lightest out there. To get over the low shot count, get a regulator fitted in the air tube!

Ultras? The SE is nice, the MMC mark 1 is a Marmite gun and not much better on the shot count!

The Daystate Huntsman Classic is a nice light rifle and very pointable, the Falcon Lighthunter (the clue is in the name there see?) is another light gun.

Brococks are supposed to be lightweight but I have never seen one (never looked for one either).

10. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I don't have a PCP but wanted to share with you a tale I was told by a very nice guy in the RFD in Dorking.
    Apparently a family came in and bought PCP'S for Dad and his two sons. By now they didn't have the money for a cylinder and connections despite the advice given to buy one less rifle and use the money for a cylinder etc.
    On the Monday the rifles were brought back to the RFD with a complaint that none of them could be pumped up. By all accounts they had been fired until the pressure was so low that a pump would not close the valve seal enough to allow hand pumping to recharge them.
    How accurate this is I cannot say but others better informed than me will no doubt comment.
    Atb
    Dag

11. Tazz

Tazz Engaging Member

Great rifle, light, accurate, looks neat, but far from quiet without a good quality moderator. It doesn't need the top end Hugget, although one would make it sublime, but a Hogan Decimeater, an HW mod or even a UK Neil moderator will quieten i down signifiantly.

12. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

Bsa ultra se air arms s200 and brocock contour all lightweight accurate and underated pcps, i have an ultra se its a cracking little rifle never had any grief from it either and if using a pump never let your rifle empty fully or ul av to get a blast from a bottle before you can refill

13. PhoenixElite

PhoenixElite Engaging Member

Brocock Super 6 mate! my friend just bought one and I love using it! incredibly light deadly accurate and sexy to look at... the only draw back is small shot count (30ish) and the cylinder doesnt have a pressure gauge on it. he paid $350 for a mint condition one with new pump and accessorys

14. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Yes the HW100 K (carbine) is both very quiet and light but, if you want something even more compact i'd say an Ultra with a decent moderator fitted, the latest versions are great little guns ;)

15. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Aa s200 is a good gun also the bsa ultra .brocock contour daystate huntsman regal . S400 superlite series are all very good guns .as said get to your local rfd and have a feel atb

16. 177

177 Donator

The problem when these threads come up is when people start telling you to buy what they have, or buy what they would like to themselves.

Shouldering guns is the only way to find out whether you feel comfortable with them or not. If you don't feel comfy with the gun mounted in your shoulder, it doesn't matter who made it, or how (in)expensive it might be, it's not for you.

The S200 is one of the very best options to buy into for low weight and excellent overall performance. Unlike many single shot PCPs the after-market multishot conversion for the S200 is self-indexing so it cycles each time you operate the bolt.

You can get after-market multishot conversions for many other PCPs but they are manually indexed, as in, you manually rotate the magazine yourself while operating the bolt. That's actually a great safety feature since it's largely impossible to screw it up, but the fact that the S200 is light, has bags of accuracy potential easily on tap and can be made into a self-indexing multishot without breaking the bank is a tough act to follow.

The secret to a quiet gun is the moderator and a soft target backstop. The Weihrauch moderator is pretty much the de facto standard and it's hard to beat given its asking price. If you use some old carpet tiles or cut squares of old carpet and layer them up as your backstop in some sort of pellet trap then you aren't going to be creating a lot of noise at all when shooting.

Most PCPs are fairly light - it really comes down to finding one that feels right when you shoulder it, at a price that is acceptable to you.

17. critter

critter Donator

Hello there, As your asking for advice if you want a quiet gun go for a full length rifle as the shorter the barrel the louder the gun. Also .177 is louder than .22 and less shots, Go for a decent moderator not the standard air arms one. HW mod or hoagan decimeter are the best for the money! As for gun light and accurate the AA S400 would forfill all your needs and more this eould allow you to fit a rowan multi shot adapter when you can afford it. But like others say go and shoulder a few.

18. secretagentmole

Ahem, you pump like fury to get enough air into the cylinder after cocking the action. I know. done it with th wife's T200 (the target version of the S200). You pump like mad for 30 seconds, getting enough air in to shut the valve, easy enough to do, even Mole can do it! Simple thing to remember is 5 magazines of pellets, then pump it up again, stops the pressure getting too low!

19. secretagentmole

Only if you buy the Air Arms mechanism, the Rowan mechanism is not self indexing!

20. 177

177 Donator

Absolutely - point fairly made. I should have detailed that :)

I meant to add earlier that you shouldn't 'pre-buy' based on visuals. Most folks do, up to a point.

A local RFD had a gorgeous thumbhole stocked Webley Venom Sidewinder in a while ago and I was gutted when I picked it up and found I couldn't wrap myself comfortably around the gun. To my eyes it was already my next purchase. As far as fit was concerned, it just didn't :(

I never thought a full length synthetic stock PCP would honk my hooter and blow my skirt up but when I ended up with a Logun Dominator following a series of particularly unusual circumstances I found to my astonishment that it was the cat's meow. Before handling one I'd never given it a second thought, but now it has become my go-to rig due to its combination of shot count, light weight, incredible accuracy and overall ease/practicality of operation.

I'm not suggesting you look at one yourself, just that you should keep an open mind and try to remain as objective as possible :)

Good luck !

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014