1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Licences In England.

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Coggie, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Coggie

Coggie Active Member

Well guys what do you think?

Are they coming for sub 12's?

Good idea or not?

2. Douglas Soal

Douglas Soal Donator

Hasn’t been successful in Scotland, and England has millions more in circulation. Bad idea, and I doubt they will, unless of course we have Labour in power in a few months, and then who knows. Many hundreds of thousands or maybe more will go underground though, as in Scotland.

3. rich79

rich79 Donator

As it stands now is there any proof you have any air rifles? This extends to people who don't even know they have them, old granny Ethel still has has her dead husbands Airsporter in the loft that she doesn't know about.
    We all know it's at best a tax on people, it won't solve any crime or deter scroats from shooting cats or the emergency services, but as long as the Daily mail reading wannabe middle classes think somethings being done then it's fine.
    I don't & never will break the law with any of my guns so how does making me have a licence make anyone safer?
    What the scroats do with theirs is already illegal so how does making it more illegal stop them?

4. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Keyboard Hero

yep,that sums it nicely.
    licenced or not,if you're a "wrong 'en" you still will be,even if you bother to get one.

5. Patton

Patton Jack Reacher's big brother

Is it coming? Perhaps, though I don't think in the near future. The consultation ended some time ago now and there was no hysterical "we must act now" type response from the Government over the matter, so for the moment at least weve6 dodged a bullet (or pellet).

Is it a good idea? No. No reduction in recorded gun crime in Scotland (they categorise only 'firearms' offences and don't record a separate air weapon category, so JockPlod can only make estimates to the latter) attributable to this, and the detection rate has dropped slightly as instead of investigating such crimes properly they now simply go and hassle the nearest licensee.

Do I care? Not as far as licencing itself goes. Ok, a 50 quid fee, or whatever, would be a ballache, but that aside I don't mind. The plus side is that once we're licenced then the public have to accept we're legitimate, but the downside is it might be the thin end of the wedge for even more punitive legislation down the road.

One unintended consequence in Scotland of all this is a marked rise of actual firearms tickets being issued. It seems a lot of shooters have quite understandably thought "well, I'm going through all this grief for an air rifle ticket, may as well get a firearms ticket for no extra hassle then I can get that rimfire I've always fancied and my air guns are covered too".
    As a result the legislation has actually resulted in there being more pyrotechnic firearms in the hands on the public, so if it is a step towards eventually banning guns entirely in Scotland (and the SNP are an anti gun ownership party) then its backfired miserably.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Douglas Soal likes this.
  6. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

Perhaps best to leave sleeping dogs lie?

Dave

Mike Bowler and monsta41 like this.
  7. Coggie

Coggie Active Member

Scotland has been pretty much a disaster. The police often don't even know what to advise.

It has taken some guns out of circulation though. I recently spoke to the FAO who was tasked to lead the air weapons team and he said it had been a nightmare and often they have no idea what to tell people who have questions.

My biggest issue is that it makes it real difficult for anyone to get into air gunning. You cant have a gun without a licence, and you need a good reason to get a licence. Chicken, egg thing.

Reckon it's coming down south tho. So watch out for i . They are coming to get you.

8. Douglas Soal

Douglas Soal Donator

Well if it does come down South as you call it, I wish the police luck getting it organised, with the estimated 6-7 million airguns in the hands of the estimated 3 million owners, that will be some task.

9. Grey Man

Grey Man Engaging Member

That is the danger.

The government is very good at introducing something with which most people agree - or at least will not object to. Then after a suitable interval, it quietly expands.

Pugwash likes this.
  10. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

If the other lot eventually get in ([Politics are banned - read the Forum Rles]'s Cronies) air rifles will go, shotguns will be banned, millions that rely on shooting will become unemployed, exports will fall dramatically, many many thousands of unused pellets will be wasted, being a hetrosexual will be banned. That's when I'll emigrate to a free society.............................Russia.

11. Coggie

Coggie Active Member

Do they do HFT in Russia?

Probably VFT. Vodka Fuelled Targets!

ibo7 likes this.
  12. Douglas Soal

Douglas Soal Donator

Not to mention, power cuts, 3 day week, union’s calling strikes at short notice, welcome back to the 1970’s.

mike-carter and Lev Levvin like this.
  13. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

I think the toys Russians have are a bit more impressive than ours

OldGreyDog likes this.
  14. Lev Levvin

Lev Levvin Big Poster

I’m pretty sure Packham and his ilk are supporters of that side of things

WR14210 likes this.
  15. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

i wont tell them i have airguns if you dont ;)

16. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Only with Ricin. Not nice.:eek:

17. Pugwash

Pugwash Post apocalypse

I am guessing the post was a bit tongue in cheek but maybe just a tiny little bit of an exaggeration.

18. Pugwash

Pugwash Post apocalypse

Well obviously I couldn’t possibly comment as I am a responsible member and keep well away from politics. And as I am not allowed to talk about it my thumb is always hovering over the report button at the slightest first signs to make sure no one else can slip anything in under the radar.
    PS. Whilst I am an extreme lefty snowflake otherkin bunny identifier with occasional leanings towards being a lovely fluffy thing I have great faith in the free market.
    Karl Marx said..........
    Oh. Maybe later

19. OldGreyDog

OldGreyDog Busy Member

Like these...

Mike Bowler likes this.
  20. Patrick

Patrick Donator

It may and i say may deter some of the less responsible people from obtaining an airgun if they've got to obtain a licence but it won't stop the
    the cat shooters from carrying out their despicable acts.The police knowing who legally owns an airgun in area where one of these dreadful acts takes place isn't going to catch the culprit be they a licence holder or not. So apart from perhaps deterring one of the local chaffs from owning one and of course some perfectly responsible and safe would be owner as well i can't see what it would achieve apart from burdening the police and their firearms dept with more work and little if any gain either to them or the community.

Douglas Soal likes this.