1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

lgu problem

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by gordy p, Jun 16, 2015.

1. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

Lets try and rephrase this to keep within forum rules.
    my lgu is down on power 9.6 I have read this could be the tp size. has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you cure it?

2. neil180

neil180 Busy Member

I have not had this problem, but read about it elsewhere. I decided to take action before it happened as I heard that the springs could be knackered by this - so while my gun was with Paul SHort for the fitting of one of his shrouds and some guides, I asked him to drill the port out to 3.1. When it came back I had a slightly improved shot cycle and a gun that was on the limit - so I had to calm it down a little.
    I have now sent the comp tube / piston off to NickG for some of his care and attention where I suspect the TP will be opened up to 3.6 in the process.

3. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

Thanks neil is that on a 177? I have read 3.2 is about right but cant find out if its the same for 177 and 22

4. brucegill

brucegill Engaging Member

start small and go up in increments. You'll only know whats right for .22/.177 by testing with light, medium and heavy pellets.
    By the sounds of it, you could go to 3.1/3.2 and you'll be about right. Don't forget to de-bur the inside and outside of the TP though

5. bigtoe

bigtoe Donator

3.4 to 3.6mm is needed for .177, you can get away with smaller for .22.

a TX has a 3.8mm port right from the factory...ever wondered why?

6. brucegill

Hi Tony

can you give me the other figures? TP length, diameter, stroke? I've not added these to my spreadsheet (Jesus, that's too geeky lol)

7. bigtoe

bigtoe Donator

Bruce

an LGU has a 2.6mm x 6mm port, its basically German 7.5j spec with a big spring behind it for the UK, the spring fatigues really fast and the guns lose power.

easy mod with the stock piston in .177 is 3.2mm port.
    if you lighten the piston to 200g 3.4 to 3.6mm port

for a .22 its less, stock piston 3mm port
    lightened piston 200g 3.2mm port

I run a 170g piston in mine now with a 3.6mm port, stock stroke 88mm and oem seal, if i converted to O ring nose i would run 3.4mm port 88mm stroke...3.3mm at 80mm stroke.

Please post the spread sheet over here too ;)

8. brucegill

Top man. Thanks. Will do but buggered if I can from my phone lol.

9. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

Brilliant thanks I apretiate it

10. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

Right I have taken the tp out to 3.2 and the result is a gun exactly the same as before lol. same power and if there's a diference in shot cycle I cant tell the diference

11. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

First off check the chrono is working correctly & correct pellet weight,i'm sure you already have.Then try another spring or add some preload to your existing spring to see if any improvement .Was it full power at first then came down?
    On mine at the moment it has not changed though its only had 2000 through it so far & is totally standard.

12. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

Yep crono is fine and correct pellet weight. As for has it dropped power I dont know as I got it second hand. I will try a little preload im goingto get it right the gun is awsome. And dont tell my tx200 but I dont think it's going to get used anymore lol

13. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

AA Field work well & RWS super field have decent results but open up a bit after 35 yards compared to the AA.If its not a spring problem it may need a new seal when buying used rifles a bit of work is needed more often than not.:)

14. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

This is what I think is happening with these guns judging by the amount of grease in them. I think they are being tested at the factory whilst dieseling and being set close to the limit. And once around 1000 pellets have been put through them and the grease burned off the power obviously drops off. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me lol

15. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

It would also explain why some guns are loosing power and some not depending if it was dieseling at the time of test

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  16. paulairgun

paulairgun Keyboard Hero

Try Nickg on here. He's developed a piston tune up and a trigger job for the LGU. I shot one of his tx200's he'd worked on at a local club and it was awesome. Very smooth and far more accurate than a standard rifle.

17. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

To be honest mate I dont really see the point of having it tuned. how much more accurate do you want than 5 pence size groups at 45 yards with very little recoil. And now I have put another 40 shots through it the power has come up to 10.6 so im happy now

18. gordy p

gordy p Busy Member

O and my crono testing has been done with 8.3 rws superdomes

19. bigtoe

bigtoe Donator

when reworking guns you have to remove parts, this disturbs grease etc. If you want uber consistency strip after strip the way to go is O ring piston seal...i have swapped 5 o rings out testing and every one when lubed gave exactly the same power ;)

the key when testing is shoot it before you judge it, especially with a stock seal...30 to 50 pellets, then some speed tests etc.

The stock seal on the LGU is very tough, unless you have severely damaged it which you would see there is no reason to test it, Umarex tested the seals to well over 100k rounds put thru them and they had very little wear.

20. bigtoe

bigtoe Donator

the springs fatigue mainly, mine lost 5mm in length over a 1.5 tins of exacts..