1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Legislation On The Horizon

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Macv276, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM.

1. Macv276

Macv276 Newbie

2. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

:welcome:

Wouldn't have made any difference...

Rob S K, Slipknot88, Blackmax and 5 others like this.
  3. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

It's a tragedy, bit the poor lad was shot with an FAC air rifle his grandfather had deliberately put over power and had bragged about. He tested to see if it was loaded by pulling the trigger with his grandchild stood in in the way.
    Changing the laws around sub 12 air guns would not have changed any of it:(

4. binxkeys

binxkeys Engaging Member

Why does it say Wales has similar laws already? I thought Wales was in line with England on Air Rifle legislation

Slipknot88, Matool, monsta41 and 2 others like this.
  5. Tom A

Tom A Busy Member

They probably mean Scotland. No licences here (yet).

Slipknot88, Johnphilip and TORNADOS7 like this.
  6. paulairgun

paulairgun Keyboard Hero

Not going to stop anyone getting a sub 12ft/lb rifle with a license or certificate and cranking it up to FAC.

Slipknot88, Blackmax and Macv276 like this.
  7. binxkeys

binxkeys Engaging Member

It says Wales and Scotland have similar laws already, but not England.... I believe that is just incorrect

Slipknot88 and Accuspell like this.
  8. Tom A

Tom A Busy Member

Unfortunately, I think some kind of airgun licence is inevitable, especially as the probability of some idiot being caught doing something he shouldn't with that stupid SIG semi-auto rifle increases. The best that can be done is probably to make sure that any system bought in is rationally thought out and implemented, and not just a populist knee-jerk pulled straight off the front page of the Daily Mail. Laws named after dead children unfortunately tend to be awful monstrosities baked in the fires of tabloid hysteria.

9. no country members

no country members Tooled up tool

Agreed a terrible tragedy and so sad when a life so young is ended so unnecessarily. However they are campaigning for licensing of sub 12 guns and that one had been illegally modified to over 12 without any FAC application. If Stanley's law had been in before the grandfather bought the gun then yes he would probably have had a license for it but how would this have prevented the illegal modification he did? It was illegal then and if the law comes in it will still be illegal? It changes nothing in the context of this whole sorry affair. This was down to the idiot's behaviour not the absence of a license - what are these people on? :facepalm:

May sound harsh but when a Grandfather points a loaded airgun at his grandson in the house and discharges it I think the family needs to look a little closer to home for problems that need addressing rather than trying to convince themselves that a change in the law and bit of paper would have avoided this.

Also how come he only got 3 years? It's always been said on here that simply possessing a 12.1fpe gun is a minimum 5 year sentence so how did he do this then also kill a child and get only 3 years? I don't care how sorry he is 3 years is not long enough imo. :down:

10. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

There already was laws in place but the old codger thought he was above them.
    Plus being stupid enough to not know he'd cocked & loaded it & not being muzzle aware, all these caused his grandsons death.
    As tragic as it is its not my fault, if I thought getting a licence would've stopped it then I'd get one, but idiots often create situations that end with tragedy.

critter, gasman, Slipknot88 and 5 others like this.
  11. Mr Bond

Mr Bond Busy Member

The BBC “Look North” reporters have been describing the rifle as an “unlicensed air rifle” all day.

Technically correct in a very narrow legal sense but mainly just misinforming the plebs about the current laws.

As above, very sad but an idiot was to blame here and no law would have saved the lad from that.

12. RapidStype

RapidStype Busy Member

It is 5yrs for prohibited weapons.
    Ie Mac 10, machine pistols flamethrowers and handgrenades etc...not 12.1 or even100 ftlb airguns, shotguns...unless sawn off or even cartridge guns...as none of them are prohibited.
    Judges discretion on other matters which takes mitigation into consideration whereas there is none for say ..automatic weapons ..just the 5yr minimum.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 6:12 PM
    Slipknot88, Pugwash and Bill.B like this.
  13. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

it was illegal plain and simple i feel for the mother and the childs family and for him , a life cut short by someone who was a total f--k whit , something is not rite with this case i find it hard to believe someone could be so stupid to do what the grandfather did regardless of it being fac .

wobbly bob, Slipknot88 and Johnphilip like this.
  14. Thermionic Valve Tech

Thermionic Valve Tech Engaging Member

Doing something because it feels good to do doesn't always mean it's the right thing to do, this is why we end up with speed cameras on motorways, antiquated drug laws and licensing on sub 12 ft lb rifles in Scotland and soon the rest of the UK it seems.

I dispair at the idiocy of my fellow humans, but if I have to get a licence so be it, won't change the fact I'm going to be in possession of a sub 12 air rifle, responsibly of course. But it might mean a few people who probably shouldn't have an air rifle will probably have them taken away. If you're not a criminal, have hunting permission or shoot at a club, I don't think theres anything to be worried about other than the renewal fee.

15. Geezer

Geezer Posting Addict

This appears to be not even a Private Members Bill (they almost never end up in law, rather they are virtue-signalling by back-bench MPs), but an MP supporting a petition. The petition, if it gets sufficient supporters, gets a debate in the House of Commons, attended by about a dozen MPs, and/or a written response from the government, and then, nothing. No change to the law.

So, nothing to see here, move on.

And, yes, it was an awful tragedy, and the guy who made the gun and then fired it was at so many levels an irresponsible idiot d1ckhead and deserves to be, and hopefully has been, jailed. Because his irresponsible idiocy was already illegal. That is the key thing.

16. robs5230

robs5230 леший

They ought to licence fecktards not sub12 air rifles.

If licensing comes, then so be it. Another knee jerk reaction to a sad event, that won't prevent the same thing happening again.

Having said that, I know a couple of folk with FAC, that I wouldn't trust with a tin opener.

17. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

i agree with a lot of that but look at scotland the money and effort would have been better spent tackling the drugs issue that 99% of serious crime stems from , the start of it in scotland was some druggie taking pot shots out of a flat window at passers by , i'm 100% certain that if he needed a licence it would have stopped him - it's like blaming the car and not the driver .

18. SlugFest

SlugFest Engaging Member

If any legislation is implemented I wonder how in depth it would be. Pointless to ponder the 'what-ifs' I know but I've read about airgunners in Scotland who have behaved themselves their whole lives then been refused an airgun licence due to receiving medication for depression. I've been owning and shooting airguns for over 40 years without incident. I also have no criminal convictions of any kind ever, even traffic offences. But I'm prescribed Fluoxitin long term for general low mood. Will that mean I'm suddenly deemed a risk at the application stage, after 52 years of proving I'm clearly not?

Bit worrying really. :(

THE WEE GHOST likes this.
  19. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Keyboard Hero

Same old same old , change the law for the law abiding and ignore the large percentage of morons and scumbags that walk amongst us freely .

a tragedy for the little boy whose name is sadly now being used as a mere politicians pawn so they can get noticed and get another rung up the pay grade ladder and newspapers that I wouldn’t wipe my arse with have some some click bait ill informed BS to publish .

20. Johnphilip

Johnphilip Well-Known Member

When they first introduced it here in Scotland , the police did not want it , as it would just make more work for them .
    The thing is it will never effect those who are the wrong ones who shoot at old ladies out of there bedroom window , or shoot at cats .

Julian Lovell and Mr Bond like this.