1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Legal definition of loaded ?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Westphalian, May 16, 2014.

1. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

Is an air rifle loaded if the multishot magazine is in situ but barrel empty? I walk the 250 m to my perm on a public footpath, rifle uncovered and magazine in but for safety's sake obviously chamber empty. I have "good reason" to have the rifle in a public space but i see carrying a loaded weapon in public is illegal.

2. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

If there is a pellet in the magazine it is loaded!

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    if the magazine is insitu with pellets in, you're loaded. if it's singleshot and there's a pellet in the breech, you're loaded.
    in your case, carry the rifle as normal, with the magazine in your pocket , away from the rifle

4. Sir Oscar

Sir Oscar Donator

Get a gun bag. Keep your gun in it until you get to your perm. Keep pellets totally separate from your rifle until your ready to shoot.
    This isn't law, just common sense. Why walk in public with an unsheathed potentially loaded gun?
    Doesn't really give a good impression.
    All just my opinion of course. :)

5. neiled

neiled Donator

Have to agree with the above, I just can't see any just or sensible reason to carry a gun in public without it being in a gunbag.

6. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You are perfectly entitled to have your gun loaded not in a slip and shoot off of the public footpath If the public footpath is running through your permission.

If the footpath does not run through your permission as said take the mag out and think about a fold up slip.
    Cheers Andy

7. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

It does run thru my perm, about 1 in 30 meet a dog walker. I have a gunbag but never use it as my perm surrounds my garden, i shoot from my garden if i happen upon a rabbit but one of my ambushes is only 250m away along a public footpath so from now on will carry the mag in my pocket. Cheers guys. Here right now waiting for the last light to slip away playing on my iphone ;-)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  8. r10hunter

No need to use a slip or remove the mag or unload the gun.
    Just stalk along the footpath and take a shot if safe to do so.
    Cheers Andy

9. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

I wouldn't want to argue with what you have said, but.................I think you might be in deep poo if a member of the public, claimed to have been distressed or frightened by your actions and made a complaint and a statement to that effect to the police.

However I am very happy to be reassured that I am wrong.:)

10. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Yes, in that state it is considered 'loaded' if one is up the spout and cocked it's 'loaded and made ready' Both will land you in trouble if you're not on your permission. When I travel with my airguns I unload the pellets from the magazine also, because a copper who's keen could have you in for carrying with intent etc etc I don't know the wording and I never want to hear it myself! ;). Best to play safe and give no reason for arrest.

11. r10hunter

I am afraid you are wrong. It's completely legal to shoot on a footpath crossing land you have permission to shoot on, as long as you do so safely. A member of the public must not hinder your shooting and you must allow them to pass freely.
    We stand ten shotgunners on a footpath and drive game birds over them it's completely legal. I walk on our footpaths all the time with loaded guns and regularly shoot off of them.
    Cheers Andy

12. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Furrinuff!:)

13. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Just to reiterate. If there is a pellet in the magazine, it does not matter if the magazine is in the gun or not, the gun is legally classed as being loaded!

14. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

where does it say that then?

15. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

So it seems i'm ok with what i do on the footpath ON my perm. Off perm, it seems it is illegal to carry a magazine with pellets in even if it in your pocket. I wonder how many of us make the effort to carry empty magazines plus loose pellets (or in a pellet holder) and only load the mag once at the perm?

16. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Without intending arguing the toss, an airgun is the same as FAC in the eyes of the law and to to all intents and purpose, it's classed as a firearm. You cannot carry loaded mags around for FAC and I doubt the law distinguishes between the two. Moley's point is valid if not a little abrupt and I wouldn't want to get into a bun fight in a court room with some clever Rupert barrister over wordings. 'Armed with intent' might be a charge if found with a mag loaded. Better to play the game abide by the rues and common sense and enjoy the sport IMO. :)

17. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

i not disputing it, just interested to read the exact words. Is it contained in the Firearms Act?

18. Egg

Egg Major Poster

The range master at our local club gave a guy a telling off (not a bollocking, just a friendly word) as he turned up with his rifle in its bag and a loaded magazine in his pocket. He'd crossed public areas to get to the range so my take on it is if there's pellets in a magazine and you have both the magazine & gun it's for in your possession at the same time then you're breaking the law (assuming you're in a public area that you don't have permission to shoot on) and the same goes if you have a pellet in the breech of a single shot PCP, springer (or whatever the powerplant of the rifle is) even if the gun's not cocked.

19. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Yes, Andy's right; the fifty feet etc etc applies to highways, not rights of way. Andy's pulled me up on this in the past and when I checked it he was correct.

20. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

I personally do not carry a loaded Gun Accross Public Access -

As advised by Police Fire Arms Officers I shoot with it's Deamed Illigeal -

Comes down to the day of a Officer finding a loaded Gun on Public access - How He and his collegues decided to deal with issue

As there seems no Standard answer amongst UK Many Police forces -

BOB/R