1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Legal age to buy and shoot an air rifle

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by CarlC, Jun 5, 2007.

1. CarlC

CarlC Member

What`s the legal age to buy and shoot an air rifle?

I thought it was 17 , but i was just reading a air gun shop website and it say both 17 and 18 and i`m confused as to which one it is.
    Can someone help me on this please

thanks

CarlC

2. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

at this moment in time it is possible for a 17 year old to buy an air rifle/ pistol, however the law is about to change to 18.. i,m not sure when this comes into effect but as soon as i do the date will be posted on here. hope this helps

3. CarlC

CarlC Member

Yer it does thanks.
    So what happens when it changes and i`ve already brought an air rifle?
    Does that mean that i can`t use it?

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

No you can use an air rifle from 14 just not buy one.

5. CarlC

CarlC Member

So to clear things up i can buy an air rifle now while the law says it`s 17 and then when it changes to 18 i can still carry it to and from a shoot and use it unsupervised by an adult at age 17.

6. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

yes it is presently 17, but is going up to 18 when the new laws come in, this is expected to happen around the end of october this year.

This site explains things better than I can and is the met's own site..

http://www.met.police.uk/firearms-enquiries/airguns1.htm

There would be one issue for you under the new law as its intended to not only change the age at which you may by or have bought for you but also the age at which you may carry in a public place.
    If that happens then you like anyone currently under 17 will have to get someone older to transport the gun to a shoot.