1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Left eye dominant right handed

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jungle, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jungle

jungle Engaging Member

As my SGC is sorted and I'm just awaiting the cert to come spent some time at the gun shop looking at guns. After a bit of a chat I have found out I'm left eye dominant. This has totally blown my mind as I'm right handed for everything.

He suggested I start shooting right handed m. Which is not going to happen or wear a patch over my left eye wen shooting?

Any one else experienced this? Don't know what to do :-(

2. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Same here with being right handed and left eye dominant.

I did try practise shooting with a pair of clear lens safety glasses and a piece of tape covering my left eye on the lens of the safety glasses at some clays.

It did help but to be honest I just shoot normally and I seem to do pretty well.

Maybe try shooting with both eyes open (that's what I do).

Don't worry about it, your shooting style will adapt to suit :up:

3. jungle

jungle Engaging Member

This is the advice I was looking for, the thought of shooting left handed just totally puts me off.

Iv used shotguns many times and never really had a problem, it does make me think would shooting left make my accuracy better :-/

4. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

I think shooting left handed may feel very awkward for you especially as you`ve shot many times right handed.
    Don`t make a problem out of something that`s not bothered you before you knew about your left eye dominance.

Practice and getting to use your new shotgun will make your accuracy better ;) not changing your stance

5. jungle

jungle Engaging Member

Yeah deffo staying as I am. Thanks for the advice jps norton

6. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

it's called cross lateral its a form of Ambidexterity so stop complaining it just means your special :D

7. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

p.s. a good technique is to try with a eye patch trust me it works and helps your weaker eye become more dominant there is different levels off being cross lateral my version is incredibly close to being fully Ambidextrous but not quite :( can still play darts and pool etc left or right handed I always used to skateboarded left handed and normally write right handed and my punctuation is poor cos I never know which hand to use for it :D

p.s. I always shoot right handed but I am left eye dominant

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  8. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

When I was in my late teens I found out I had left eye dominance and was shooting right handed.I was clay shooting and was ok,nothing mind blowing.I decided to change to shoot left handed and thought omg this will he so hard after shooting for quite a few years r/h but it wasn't,a lot of practice at clays l/h and my scores climbed and I started winning competitions.now shooting l/h is so natural even tho I am right handed for everything,one thing I noticed at the British shooting show was the amount of different gadgets for people with left eye dominance,I did think Damn if those things had been available 20 years ago I needn't of changed to l/h.it might be worth googling to see what it throws up.

9. 14sheep

14sheep Well-Known Member

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I've bought the red eye kit, magnetic dots to go on your shooting glasses. Not shot with them yet but practicing mounting at home and it certainly makes a difference on what I'm looking at.

10. Donzo

Donzo Banned

Why dont any of you get glasses for your weak eye just like for reading or wont that help.

11. Nobby

Nobby Posting Addict

Eye dominance is not the same as weak or strong eye. I'm ambi at lots of things luckily, but I am strongly left handed with a rifle. My left eye has better acuity than the right eye, but I am right eye dominant.

I shoot FT with a high mag scope to the left eye, and can just manage to do that with both eyes open. I shoot indoors paper punching and again I have taught myself to keep both eyes open. If you keep one shut, oddly they both tire. I shoot pistols right handed.

12. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If you're left eye dominant but right handed surely he suggested you shoot left handed not right handed.If you can't or wont shoot l/handed you'll have to cover or close your left eye or if you shoot with both eyes open you may have to accept the fact you might miss a few more targets,you'll have to see how goes. I think years ago the used to do cross over stocks for this problem.I am L/handed but right eye dominant but I only shoot an air rifle now so just close my right eye

13. allrightscud

allrightscud Well-Known Member

There are a fewthings you can try. I've heard an shooting instructor friend of mine talk aboutit. My eye dominance changes. Time of day, how tired I am and if I'm hangover! Youcould try one of those fluorescent beads which catches your right eye and makesit the dominate one while looking down the barrel, another method he advised wasreading a chapter of a book or the paper each night with a smeared lens overyour left eye not a patch. It trains your right eye to take the lead.

14. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

I am also right handed but left eye dominant.
    I was told I should teach myself to shoot left handed.
    I always shoot with my left eye closed but in the last few weeks I have tried with both open
    I just can't do it my left eye goes Into better focus .
    If I shoot left handed I get a perfect sight picture so I'm struggling with what to do.
    Shooting left handed is very awkward
    Cheers
    David

15. jungle

jungle Engaging Member

Loads of advice here fair play. A lot of people in the same boat.

I think I'm going to stick shooting right handed and try shutting the left eye see how that goes.

If that fails I'm just going to carry on doing what I have done.

Deffo ain't buying a left hand rifle and can not see the glasses or shutting my eye working purely because ill just forget and don't have enough time to try alot of the other methods mentioned.

Seeing a gun maker next weekend and looking at fitting me to a new shotgun see what advice he has on offer. (Properly tell me to go left hand)

16. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

17. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I'm the same, I just shut one eye, I've tried left handed shotguns and I just can't do it, it's really annoying as my brother is ambidextrous, my father is beyond that, he sits writing, picks up his coffee and carries on with the other hand! I imagine that's why he was such a good surgeon.....

18. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

My brother fitted an pigs ear [ rubber scope eye piece, that sorted him in about a week,,Dave

19. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Same here. OK for rifles but crap for clay pigeons. I either have to close the left eye which is fine except for when a clay comes from the left and then you don't see it because your nose is in the way so tend to use both eyes and then shut the left once on the clay and aim using the right. The best bit is it gives me a wonderful excuse for being such a hopeless clay shooter . Dark clouds and silver linings and all that.........................:)

20. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

On a shotgun?