1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Latest Airgun Gear Show Video

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Petay, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:58 PM.

1. Petay

Petay Donator

Not watched it all yet as its a whopping 59min long but seems pretty interesting so far.

dancza and littleJon365 like this.
  2. Carlos76

Carlos76 Pro Poster

Watched it earlier

3. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

I watched it earlier as I subscribe to the channel .....
    bit long winded but really good as Giles usually is and a different take on what he usually does ..a little fettling and pcp workings

4. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

Watched it this evening and it’s a great video.

I think I’ve underestimated Giles previously, kudos for taking it on.

5. Petay

Petay Donator

It’s the sort of project I’d like to domover the winter. Had an eye on the .22 Artemis M16A but it’s a bit to pricey new to buy as a project so hoping to see a second hand one or maybe or P15 at some point in time.

6. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

The P15 is a cracking little bullpup with a bit of tinkering .... really easy to strip and work on , had 3 to date

7. Petay

Petay Donator

Just a lot of money new though now days it seems

8. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

Ideal project fella

9. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

Petay likes this.
  10. Petay

Petay Donator

that is tempting although my current experience of guns delivered to your door makes me less enthusiastic... lol

will have to weigh this up as am supposed to be saving for a cabinet and a shotgun next year if my SGC goes through ok (sending it next week as soon as my poxy cheque book arrives) but this is a tempting little project and their is a ton of extras and parts available on the Artemis owners FB group

11. Brian Richardson

Brian Richardson Engaging member

Great video really enjoyed it very informative :up:. Brian...

12. Shooter22

Shooter22 Donator

Really good video!

13. Petay

Petay Donator

Giles does annoy me with his blind love for FX guns.... the Impact he keeps referring to is not as easy to tune as he makes out!

Good video though must say. Defo fancy a project now so guess its a P15 or an RM8 Varmit.....hmmmmm

DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  14. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I must say for someone who's been conditioned to run for cover at the sound of the bloody irritating title music, blatantly clickbait title notwithstanding I'm reasonably impressed!

The video presents a decent breakdown and overview of the rifle in question and Giles has, IMO excelled himself in comparison to his earlier videos which I personally found infuriatingly poor. Some good points about removing burrs and generally cleaning things up. I'm impressed by his honesty in criticising the gun's legitimate flaws, although I suspect he'd be a lot more hesitant to do the same were it an FX or Daystate.. Looks like he's been laying off the pies a bit too!

On the flip side as a techie video it was far from perfect - I wasn't impressed by the tools used (tapered screwdriver on parallel-cut screws, punch and bradawl for removing pins!) and I'd also be dubious of using silicone grease on load-bearing areas of metal to metal contact; moly being a much safer choice IMO. The brass breech insert kept being incorrectly referred to as the "crown" too, which wasn't helpful.. however Giles seemed to be on the ball with the rest of the terminology.

While covering the factors that affect "performance" (porting, striker spring etc) there was no real explanation given as to the outcomes to be expected from altering these.. from this perspective it seemed like a bit of an invitation for the uninitiated to tinker with little understanding of what they were doing, which isn't great IMO.

Some will doubtless argue that the video shows how to increase the output of the rifle; however we must remember that while discussion of such things is prohibited on our open forum to protect ourselves, knowledge is not illegal and the onus remains on the individual to ensure their gun remains legal.

These issues aside it was good to get a closer look at this interesting and unique rifle.. even if it did prove (surprise surprise) to be rough around the edges and crap out of the box. IM limited E of SMK PCPs I've found those brown O-rings to be utterly crap; with zero elasticity and an apparent susceptibility to being degraded by the oil they use during assembly. I think it would be very wise to replace them all with decent Nitrile alternatives from the off.

The action appears well packaged and I'm impressed by the twin regs and location of the externally adjustable reg, although it would remain to be seen how well it performs. I did think that the exhaust valve was too big and the transfer port too small though, which won't do much for performance (efficiency, refinement, pellet mass sensitivity and shot count).

I couldn't quite get a handle on plenum volume but with the valve refitted there didn't appear to be much space, so it might not be too great on that front (which will affect efficiency). From the bits the trigger appeared to be (or at least have the potential to be) a decent true two-stage unit, which was nice.

All that said, as much as the rifle represents a genuine improvement over Chinese guns past (certainly in terms of design innovation and probably quality) it's still decidedly rough around the edges, terribly inaccurate before the work and I'd argue still unacceptably inaccurate after. Despite it's interesting and feature-heavy format I could never bring myself to spunk £500 on something so obviously flawed - that'd buy you a new S400 or used S410, either of which would perform so, so much better from the off.

Finally the big elephant in the room is of course the blatant lack of AT - makes me wonder what's going on inside the industry when all the major players have been (willingly or otherwise) butchering their guns with anti-tamper (swear word) for over 10yrs, and yet these cheap, accessible and arguably-most-open-to-abuse rifles still have none fitted. Steyr UK get crucified by industry faces for failing to fit AT to the handful of two-grand plus target guns they sell per year, yet SMK get a free pass to flood the market with a far higher volume of much cheaper guns that are similarly just as open to abuse. No prizes for guessing which you're most likely to find more of seized in your local cop shop..

I'm intrigued to know what was pixelled out in the background at 42:20!

Mike.lewis and Petay like this.
  15. BRADLEY SIMPSON

BRADLEY SIMPSON Engaging Member

He may be Marmite to some people but he’s honest about his own skills and knowledge his videos are well put together and doesn’t say “erm” at the end of every sentence like some other reviewers.
    There’s the serious side, there’s humour and reality. He does the level entry stuff “good in your back yard to 20yrds” up to the competition winning pieces of kit.
    He’s everything that’s missing from the Dave channel on TV!

Rikki1984 and Pete2 like this.
  16. Petay

Petay Donator

the punch he used really annoyed me as it looked like the sort I have used when driving small pins below the surface of a piece of trim (architrave etc)! Certainly not an engineers punch.

Agree he could of gone into detail about how hammer, value and reg all interact to produce consistency and accuracy.

as for the Steyr AT argument...... don't even get me started!!

Still an interesting video none the less and maybe a start of more improved content as i do find Giles a bit hit or miss.

cloverleaf likes this.
  17. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Resident Cowboy

I like his videos. Great stuff. :thumb: This video is superb.

Pete2 likes this.
  18. littleJon365

littleJon365 Post Whore

Decent break down video. I like the Quirkiness he brings.

Nice concept but typical SMK QC. £500 for a rifle that needs that much work out the box shouldn’t happen. Kozak....

19. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Donator

I've got an m30, and haven't had to do anything with it other than fit a scope, fill with air and shoot it.
    It's got a cheap Hawke vantage scope on and its as accurate and consistent over the chrono (under 10fps difference over a full magazine) as the hw100 I've just spent £950 on with airmax scope and I think the hw is leaking - something else the smk hasn't done. I get more shots from the smk per fill, if the hw is leaking (after 3 tins of pellets) I will either be returning it and asking for a refund or if it has to be repaired it will be up for sale once fixed, and keeping the smk that's not had any problems after at least 10 tins of pellets being put through it.

Just because it's a smk and made in China does not mean it is crap. Look how many people have to get their hw guns tuned/fixed. If hw got their qc right then a lot of tuners would go out of business - which is probably why rfds don't complain too much about hws qc (especially those that tune the guns or know a tuner that they can direct customers to).

Pete2 likes this.
  20. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Donator

How much are hw 97/98 rifles - which should be spot on for the money? They all need sorting aswell.