1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Last minute advice please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Dusty605, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Dusty605

Dusty605 Active Member

Having struggled with my bsa lightning at my local club I've decided to bite the bullet and visit the gun shop with the intention of buying something more suitable for me. Currently my main use is target shooting with a bit of rabbit and pigeon shooting when I can. The guns I have in mind are the air arms tx200 and the weihrauch hw 98 in .177 calibre. Any thoughts before I head up would be appreciated, thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

My preference is the TX200. The HW98 is a very nice rifle but for some reason (sorry not much help) I didn't get on with it so I gave it to my brother in law. I have the TX200 Mk3 in .177 and to be honest it really is all that they say it is, pin point accurate, great trigger action etc. Dependant on your budget you won't go wrong with the TX.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. Dusty605

Dusty605 Active Member

Thanks Andy, they are both similarly priced I think, but the £300-£400 is my budget really.

4. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob Active Member

I've never had any luck at all with HW's - I've never had a TX either, but I'll never buy another HW.
    Sorry that's a bit negative but it is said from personal experience.

5. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, why as you say struggled with you bsa?, if it is in good w/o they are very good rifles to 40mtrs if set up proper, also they can be tuned to shoot better, i had one and had no problems but a bit lumpy on shooting, what scope are you using? double or single mounts?.. target shooting with a springer is a discipline that takes a lot of practice but very enjoyable, there are lots of springers on the market now but if you do wish to upgrade i would suggest and think a few others would is a HW95 which is ideal for what you do, its light/full power and well engineered, shoots well straight out of box but can be tuned to stop that twangy recoil.

6. Dusty605

Dusty605 Active Member

All feedback is good whether negative or not so thanks biker Bob. That's pretty much 2 against the hw then

7. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Ask at your local club probly some one with a TX200,HW97/HW77 for sale.

8. Dusty605

Dusty605 Active Member

My problem with the bsa is I can't get a consistent grouping with it unless the rifle is supported. I have taken it to the gun shop previously and they took it on the range and had a similar issue when unsupported. Also they noticed a manufacturing issue with the barrel not locking straight which is why I had to shim the rear of the scope. I was using a double mount set up with a hawke hd 3-9 x 40 scope. The gun just didn't feel that comfortable for me which probably didn't help and I would like to enter a hft competition next month that I can be at least a bit competitive in. Having tried a variety of weihrauch guns and the air arms guns at the shop and at the advice of the shop and those here I decided to buy the tx 200 mk3. It seems to fit me nicely has a proven track record. It was also a bit cheaper than the hw which meant I got the case aswell and stayed within budget. So now I need to decide what to do with the lightning.

9. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

good move bud, enjoy your TX.....life is to short to keep struggling to get good groups with the BSA...they really are crap.....in my experience anyway ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I would give the latest BSA springers a wide berth from now on...the earlier ones like Cadets etc are great,as are their PCPs

11. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Where's the time going?

That's all you need, if it fits and it's comfortable...

12. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, well i hope you can enjoy your TX now you have purchased, and good luck with the comp. i must say not my cuppa tea as far to heavy for hunting as for the bsa that can i am sure be easy sorted by your self just need a strip down guide see if any parts needed repair/re lube and re assemble and keep for hunting. oh springers are best with 1 pc mounts well that bsa is as i had on mine. as it is and saying on forum not worth a great deal but get fixed and keep. good luck

13. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

I agree completly mate i love my bsa's but the newer ones im staying away from.

I had a mk1 birmingham made lightning in .177 and it was great! At 30-35 yards it was really acurate but never really shot it past that as i sold it.........regret that one i do.

Id say go with what offerings hw and aa have,but shoulder them as one may feel better and thats the one to go for! Not what baldrick has down the club or what someone says is good.

Good luck mate

Gaz

14. tommy gun

tommy gun Posting Addict

keep your lightning and give it a tune up

15. mattyts

mattyts Donator

If the barrel is out of alignment,no amount of tuning is going to fix that.

16. mattyts

mattyts Donator

The earlier brummy made ones seem Ok and I hear good things about them but the newer spanish ones seem to be worse and worse by year :(

17. Dusty605

Dusty605 Active Member

I was told by the shop that mine is a Birmingham made one. It needs to have the barrel lock wedges(if that's what they're called, I don't know) machined so that it sits straight. I may strip it down and speak to someone about machining it and maybe try and make the gun better, but I don't want to throw good money away for nothing.

18. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Can I chime in and give some HW support, I have a HW97 and loved it so much I wanted another but this time a break barrel so last night I put an order in for a WW tuned HW98 :) from what I've heard they all out shoot the shooter, get what's comfortable!