1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Laser designator on an air rifle.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by kermitboy1, Jun 28, 2014.

1. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Has anybody had any experience of using one of these on an airgun. I have been offered one second hand, and from having just used it as a hand held viewing device, I am of the impression that it will work much better than my current Tracer torch. Have yet to mount it on a rifle, but the build quality looks to be good and the beam is of good optical range. The unit in question is a Optimus NR 30. Any views would be greatly appreciated. Cheers KB1

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Yes mate, i used to use one on my vermy. The one i use wasnt cheap. Adjustable beam from pin point to the size of a football. With a pressure pad.
    They are good.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  3. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Would you like try one mate??

i have one that i don't use, no bother sending it down the road for you:)

4. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

That's really kind of you, but the lad who is selling this one has given me the unit to run for two weeks on trial. I have just fixed it on my A/R. The adjustment looks good, and I like the principal behind the idea. I need to focus it in and zero it to my scope, and I hope to have that sorted tonight, once dark. I cant fault it so far for quality and fixing to the rifle. Will see what happens when the sun says goodnight. Thanks again. KB1

5. Paul Cann

Paul Cann Posting Addict

Isn't a laser designator one of those devices they point at things in films when they " paint" a target for an air strike?

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I am not sure mate, but one thing I can confirm is that when I pointed at some hare's late last night, it gave me a much better image to aim on, and best of all, they didn't bolt off, like they do when being hit by my tracer lamp. If that is indeed the case, this will be a major plus. Like I say, I cant at this stage find a negative about the thing. I have read articles that claim when the w/x gets colder, then they don't seem to work, or not as well anyway. I like what I see so far, that's for sure. KB1

7. Stevenb

Stevenb Donator

I've got a bsa nd3 laser designator.it works very very well and doesn't seem to spook rats or rabbits.ive had great success with it.its a green light that can be focused from a very wide beam to a small spot.top bit of kit in my opinion

8. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

That's the one I had in mind, until I saw the price. This one is going for £80, with everything included. They are advertised at around £140 and seem to only originate from the good old USA, so lets hope that it stays as reliable as most things of yank making. KB1

9. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

They are good, if i see any pigeons to far to shoot, i shine it in there eyes and they normally take off, hoping they land a bit closer.

10. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

OMG, never considered that either. This thing will do 3 miles at one of the settings. I tried it last night using the runway where I work, that being 3048 metres, and it still put a good size dot on the door of the other vehicle. Had to look through bins mind, in order to see it myself. Scary or what. Cheers for the other use mind, appreciate that. KB1

11. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

One concern/drawback is that it's not 'covert' however if this is not an issue it's quite a good bit of kit.
    I had good success with one a couple of years back hth ...... :coffee:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  12. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I did notice that last night, using it around the runway on some Hare's. However that was the exception. The normal environment for use that I intend to be in with this outfit, will not give any reasons for concern. Nevertheless, thanks for pointing that issue out. KB1

13. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

View attachment 99106 View attachment 99107 OMG, sold, I am having this. It is perfect. Have set it up in line with my Panorma, and out to 80 yds the beam gives a perfect enclosed lit field surrounding my reticle. Love it. Happy days, cant wait for Monday night and a nice dry calm night hopefully. :D:hunting::jaw:KB1

14. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

This laser designator gizmo thingy is something I have wanted to play with for a while now, they are not all that easy to get, do a Google and you wont get much back, only Ebay adverts, go there and you are faced with a load of possible crap from China, and a bloke that seems to be selling some but doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind as to how much he wants for one??? Here we have Kermitboy1 saying he has one that will do 3048 metres at a pinch and the jobbie he has is focusable and is an Optimus NR30. On the Ebay page the bloke selling them at prices various has NR30 and NR50, so which is best??

I aint knocking you Kermitboy1, I just don't want to deal with some Ebay muppet that can't make his mind up how much he wants for his stuff, cos to be honest, I don't trust that I would be getting the the real thing, and not some counterfeit crap from Boolalongawayo!??

So here's my dilemma in a nutshell, I don't want to deal on Ebay, so is there a proper RFD that is selling Optimus NR30 or Optimus NR50 at sensible money, that I can deal with in the normal way. How do I know that what I am buying has the range that Kermitboy1 says he is getting from his?

It's like this, I aint got money to waste on crap, and there is a lot of crap on offer to shooters these days, especially on bloody Ebay.

ATB, Ray.

15. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, as quite a few forum members know and i am sure as you mention these lasers can go for a very long distance and one must not forget in the wrong hands they have been used to shine on aircraft so care needs to be taken and people have been charged, i tried a green one with adjustable beam but i think red is better and the brightness is to much at short range for air rifles, one thing is you can shoot rats/rabbits in the beam and others around will be not aware of the light. i put a filter on mine which gave it less of a pointy beam and was very clear in the scope and reticule.

16. neiled

neiled Donator

This sounds very interesting but can someone please clarify a couple of points for me?

Is this used (when zeroed to the scope) as a simple point and shoot pin size dot then once it's on the quarry kill zone you take the shot or do you have it as a bigger flood of light silhouetting the quarry so you can get your cross hairs on it to take the shot? On either option does it do away with the need for additional lighting at night?

17. Tadpole

I think this video gives a good indication of how the system works, at 6.00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgZAnl5Y0v4 also contains some good tips regarding 'ambush' hunting ;)

18. Tadpole

Why would a 'none hunter' need one of these ............. :confused:

19. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, the object of the exercise using any rifle with a red or? torch/laser etc is to see the quarry clear in view, the reticule shows well, and you can kill what you are aiming at but this does not always go to plan as we know. i think these designator type laser torches are better suited to FAC rifles.

20. Tadpole

Have you tried one ... :confused: