1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lamping vs. Night Vision?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by kjarva, May 11, 2015.

1. kjarva

kjarva Active Member

Hey folks,

we've been out a few times now to our permission now and while we've had great fun and brought home plenty to eat, I've seen from on here and from various youtube videos that people seem to have a lot more success numbers wise when out at night. I think I probably have the capability to have a go at building a home made NV setup but was just wondering what other people do, since I have neither was just wondering what the consensus was.

So do you prefer night vision or lamping? I'm trying to pick one or the other so we can go out and have a go but i'm unsure of the pro's and cons of both.

2. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

3. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I think that lamping rabbits is best done with a 12 bore from the back of a landrover, just after harvest. It can work with an air rifle (and a red torch) and is probably best suited to something with a bit more range (such as .22lr) or places where there is plenty of cover to allow you to stalk within range. Night vision gives the shooter much more of an edge and is ideal for ambush type shooting as well as stalking.
    In my opinion it's a good idea to start lamping with a red torch first, you should have some success at first until the rabbits start to get wary of the light and it's then time to go onto nv. However even if you are shooting nv with infra red light you are still going to need some visible light at times even if it's just to pick up what you've shot. You can still use the red light for spotting eyeshine as well as you can sweep the light across a field once or twice without scaring everything and then move into a shooting position.
    Building your own nv add on is simple, if you look through the video mentioned above you'll also find another one which takes the build to the next stage. The best way to proceed is to build the easy one and after you've used it a few times you'll have a better idea of any changes you might like to incorporate in the Mark 2 version.

4. kjarva

kjarva Active Member

I'm actually mulling over if I want to buy the kit you have for sale atm in your thread Terry :) It would save me from my own technical incompetence and would also be within budget. It all depends on my funds this month.

5. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Posting Addict

You might get away with lamping the 1st couple of visits but the bunnies will wise up and even rats don't like it ,you won't regret buying nv

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. themadspread

themadspread Donator

as said above hes dead right its a completely different ball game with n/v

7. kjarva

kjarva Active Member

Well looks like NV it is! Now I just need to decide what setup to get, I'm looking to either DIY, buy the one Terry has for sale, or maybe even save for a few months and get a nitesite viper unit. I can tell this hobby of mine is going to get expensive lol. Save on meat though :)

8. themadspread

themadspread Donator

ive watched a nite sight viper in use and at £450 it is no better than a terry home build the only difference is the home build is not as neat and tidy as the shop built ones.so if your not a gun tart dont worry about it.i promise you that you will never shoot a bunny that shouts at you please dont shoot me your gun looks a bit untidy

9. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Terry's build all the way... Don't be fooled by the price of the build (£170 ish) it is a great bit of kit.

Held within the project box is a 2800mah battery and wiring from the camera and screen. On the side of the project box is a switch to turn the whole unit on and a charging point so I do not have to remove the battery every time it needs charging. The camera and screen were bought from Sure24 for £93.00 ish. I did try cheaper cameras and screens but to be honest its not worth it, they ended up in the bin (I was told this too and didn't listen, trust me and save some cash).The torch is a T20 Night Scout with a 850nw Oslon Black IR pill, I also have a red pill for the more reserved nights out... Hate to be "all the gear and no idea" with me mates..lol
    It works very well on the rats, and even spotted very clearly a fox at about 150 yards, so what would have cost me about £170.00 including torch (if I'd listened) its a very good bit of kit.

10. themadspread

themadspread Donator

thats a nice job there bud well done tidied it up a fair bit compared to mine

11. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Thank you.. I spent hours thinking about it, then hunting on eBay/Maplins and a like, then PCB circuit boards for a tidy wiring job etc... it can get additive, but happy now, until the next idea, but all the credit goes to Terry, without his ideas I would have spent X amount of money on a NS200 for what benefit I'm happy to say none.

12. themadspread

themadspread Donator

i totaly agree with you

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The nv units you can buy 'off the shelf' will cost at least double the home build cost and more often 3 to 4 times as much but the performance won't be any better and may well be inferior. Of course the appearance may not be as slick but it is quite possible to put some extra effort into the design and construction and end up with a very professional looking unit.
    I think it does help to start with something like the 'easy build' to get an idea of how things work and looking at projects that others have built can also give an insight into what's possible with a bit of time and effort. Of course the better your diy skills the easier it all becomes but there are plenty of people with no experience at all who have built extremely successful units and used them to good effect.

14. kjarva

kjarva Active Member

Well you've all given some great advice and I'm sold on Terry's NV build. I'm going to start assembling the parts over the next few weeks and get cracking. I don't care about neat and tidy vs. the shop bought ones, you should see the state of our bedroom lol

15. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Posting Addict

Just a reminder with the add on nv you will need a scope with adjustable parallax

16. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Good point, that's absolutely essential.