1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lamping guestion

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Scott d, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Scott d

Scott d Active Member

Going to start lamping when 100% happy with my shooting accuracy .
    the guestion I have is about lamp colours ie red / white/ green is which is best and why?
    if anyone can help I would be very grateful thanks.

2. David M

David M Donator

Hi Scott,

I used to lamp quite a bit before I knocked up a cheap NV rig (haven't gone back to the lamp since...!!). I used to favour a red filter and have had rabbits sitting tight only 20 yards away. My filter used to deaden my beam a fair bit though so I had to remove it to scan about, not an issue but not ideal. Then I found that they would also sit tight if I dazzled them with powerful cree torch without a filter as if in headlights. I also used to go on full moon clear nights batched up as if in twilight, about 25-30 yards from where they emerged and view the area for movement through a 40-50mm objective scope just by moonlight. When one came out, I kept aim and using a remote lamp switch, would turn on the lamp and take the shot within 5 seconds. Very effective method and I always came home with some, but was limited to clear full moon nights.

You may want to look into gathering a few bits and knock up some night vision kit, I followed this link and it works fantastic for under £120...

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/174324-my-nv-build-list

My setup pictures are further down the thread........:up:

3. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The most effective is going to be red as it is far less visible to the quarry than white or green. For versatility you're going to find a torch fitted with a red led, zoom function and 3 power settings which should then be fine for very close rats and out to 100 yard rabbits etc.
    Night vision would work better if and when you find your quarry becoming 'lamp shy' and a diy unit won't be expensive.

4. Jake_snake

Jake_snake Engaging Member

Brief description of what lamping is please :)

5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Shooting at night using a torch or lamp to illuminate the quarry.

6. Jake_snake

Jake_snake Engaging Member

Newb question. sorry.

7. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

If you use white light they pick up on it pretty fast, if you put a red filter on a white light it's an improvement & they don't seem to pick up on it so fast but the filter cuts down the light output considerably - it's only really for rats in barns in my experience - so look for an LED torch with a naturally red LED, something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire...sTorches&var=670266468923&hash=item5d4ce0454d

Shop around but my experience is just get a cheapo Chinese one, it'll probably last a couple of years & by then the technology will have moved on considerably.

8. Scott d

Scott d Active Member

Thanks for info ,night v is the best way faward I think .
    best hide more money from misses again.:)

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Night vision is very good. I have loads of it.

But if you are starting out shooting at night I would say go for a lamp first.

Night vision can be disorientating and ranges hard to judge if you have not done a lot of night time shooting.

You will always use a good lamp in the future especially if it is a dimmer switch or multi power mode type.
    When there are may rabbits around you can thin them out more quickly with the lamp and then swap to NV once they become hard to shoot.
    One thing often overlooked with a lamp and NV if you have a fair sized shoot. Is you want to spend some time at home getting a sling set up on your rifle so it hangs just above your waist to take the weight of the rifle while you scan.
    Cheers Andy

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

That's sound advice, shooting at night is very different especially if you're a bit nervous and an owl hoots nearby.
    As for a torch I will shamelessly point you in this direction http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/177909-Infra-red-and-visible-red-torches-for-sale and a few hints on mounting torches here http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/183477-How-to-fit-a-torch-to-your-rifle
    Before you start shooting at night it's best to know your ground so that you know if shots are safe and what the ranges are. Even a top torch won't illuminate as far as your pellet can travel. You can only see a very limited area - just imagine if you could only see the view through your scope out to 150 yards and how strange that would feel. I like to use a separate spotter so that I don't have to scan for targets using the rifle, suitable units aren't expensive and they are ideal for scanning around to see what's about. I think that there is at least one for sale on here now, Neiled had one up a day or two ago.
    It's also worth remembering that although your quarry may not be able to see you or the light from your lamp they can still hear and smell so normal fieldcraft is probably more important at night.

11. Scott d

Scott d Active Member

Really great help from all,I have about 500 acres of farm land to shot so the possibilitys are endless.
    Might be inviting some one to show me how to use the land.
    crows,rabbits are all over the place ,also no sign of mixey as far back as my boss can remember.
    so all signs are spot on for a great bit of sport.just want to go about it correctly from the word go.

12. zug69

zug69 Well-Known Member

I have no trouble using a red filter at sensible range with a Cree led torch, look on eBay, there are some well priced zoom lamps that are ideal to scope mount, make a gel filter easily for pennies.

13. David M

David M Donator

My NV now just extends my evening session a couple of hours into the darkness to about 11:30 to midnight. I had a great view of a badger last night, totally unaware I was less than 20 yards away plus a few weeks ago, a beautiful barn owl landed on a fence post in front of me and sat for a while at about the same range. Plenty of foxes and mice eyes light up frequently too. It was a fair point made that you do need to know your ground pretty well and not be spooked too easily, wildlife goes about it's business all around you in the pitch dark, not just in front of you (!) and you need to know of any dangerous areas and your boundaries well......:up:

14. Silverfox

Silverfox Active Member

A very sound approach, shooting at night is totally different from daylight, the remark on fieldcraft and stealth is just as important at night, perhaps more so.
    Take the advice on torch type, it's easy to change the LED light to IR, if and when you go the NV route. I have one of Terry's 501 type torches, with an Aspheric lens fitted, and find it excellent for the job. I change over to an IR "pill" when I use my homemade scope-less NV.
    Above all enjoy your shooting, and get to know your area where you shoot before venturing out in the dark, it's a different game altogether, a hooting owl is the least of your potential worries!!