1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

lamp or night vision scope

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by dom, Nov 19, 2007.

?

nv scope or lamp

1. nv scope

32 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. lamp

44 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. dom

dom Engaging Member

which do you think is best for general field use .

2. colinb

colinb Well-Known Member

mine might only be a gen1 russian jobbie but i love it and it has helped me have loads of bunnies on venues they would never ever allow lamping:)

i still have my lamping gear but i find that it attracts to much attention when your out there:(

3. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Every thing the same for me, NV THE BEST:), BUT VERY PRICEY:(

4. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

Haven't tried NV for hunting yet, planning on doing so quite soon.

5. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

I briefly had a D141 which was dire to say the least. Went back to a lamp as the NV resolution couldn't tell a hedgehog from a cat or a rabbit at 15 yards. Doubtless other units are better than the D141. Bear in mind that gen1 requires lots of IR light to work well and has a finite lifespan on the tube

6. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

night vision

you obviously dont no how good night vision is to come out with that rubbish .do you no what a rabbit looks like in daylight hunting is a different thing to knocking over tin targets and telling every one how good you are eeegos and hunting dont go together mr invisible secretary

7. Darren Petts

You really have a major chip on that pathetic shoulder of yours don't you. I gave my opinion about a D141. Have you used one (preferably the same one I owned) or are you just blowing out your backside? Crawl back under your stone little man.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  8. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

Never heard rifle sights cause so much s***!!!!

:violent2::violent3:

9. Darren Petts

Yes - my apologies to other forum users for having to put up with such crap. Unfortunately topcat, not for the first time, appears to have a problem with me expressing an opinion that differs from his even if he hasn't expressed his own opinion. If admin have a problem with my opinion that is one thing but I won't take such unprovoked and unnecessary comments from him without reply.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  10. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Stop it Topcat, you don't have an argument. There's no need for this stuff.

11. colinb

colinb Well-Known Member

you must of been unlucky :( i have a d140 and a pns4.6X52 and they are both good but it`s how you use them?
    i can detect out to about 80 yards but not define exactly what it is, but i can recognise exactly what it is at 50 yards.
    as i use mine to ambush warrens and i am static this is just fine.
    by the time they have got to thirty yards (by my marker sticks) i have no doubt about what i am shooting.

i wish i could afford gen2 but i dont go out enough to justify all that expense:(

12. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Topcat

Your are entitled your opinion on the forum , but most of what you have wrote is against forum rules.
    Please keep to the subject and not personal attacks.
    One post has been removed, you all have the ability to edit or delete you own posts.
    Please try to keep the forum clear from such posts, that way i don't have to delete entire threads or ban users.

Behavior
    DO NOT
    Make Inappropriate or Offensive Posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, slander or deliberate insults/name-calling, or other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators, or your fellow members.
    Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.

13. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

night vision

point taken andy but is the quote above not offensive

14. bunideath

bunideath Well-Known Member

Have used a D143 for 18 months, its good in barns when its pitch black with its built in IR lamp but for outside longer range bunnies it needs a lamp with an IR filter. Its only Gen 1 but it works v well.

15. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Yes colimb, I got mine by swapping some fishing tack, mines a old russian Gen 1 two, a DN140, sold by a company called Newcom, of witch is now no longer trading:(, I have only just started using it again after a 2 years, due to the infered bulb burning out, and was unable to get it fixed, so had to by a seperate infered torch, that I mount under the silencer, it's better at close range, up to a max of approx 30yds, but happy with it:up:

16. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i'd use a lamp because it's so much simpler than NV gear.

use as little light as possible thats the trick so get a dimmer and a filter

17. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Ive used a lamp in the past, and still do somtimes when out with a freind, how's it simpler then NV:confused:

18. anim al

anim al Member

i know that nv's are an excellent bit of kit,
    but i found for the ratting i mainly do
    walking about,ranges from 5-15 yards,
    its easier with lamp.on the nv i had,i was forever changing focus.
    have been static with a mates nv,that was brill.
    again its each to their own.

AL

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

sorry i've confuzed you all a little i was on about rabbit stalking with a lamp.

in sheds yes NV would beat a lamp but it depends if you have the money

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  20. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

I use my NV for both, rats and bunny's, and am happy to carry on doing so....and yes they do cost alot of dosh, but I was lucky enough to do a swap, becuase I would'nt pay over a grand 4 another one, when this 1's gone Im back to lamping:D