1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Lake Pike Fishing Rigs

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Ashley.H, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

Morning all,

I want to have a go at catching some pike and a mate at work has got us some guest tickets to one of his club waters that has pike in. Never really fished for them before so was wondering if anyone knew of any rigs that can be used for dead baits or anyother rigs that will be good for catching pike out of a lake?

Cheers,
    Ash

walter Often likes this.
  2. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

i used to just use a short trace about 12 inches with a fixed treble on the end and a sliding hook with the trace through the eye and a small piece of rubber tubing to hold it in place..to adjust for the size of the bait, i used it for wobbling with the baits head towards you, and head down if under a float... the same rig can also be used for livebaits with one point of the bottom treble in the mouth and the other in the root of the tail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    foxtrott likes this.
  3. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I normally go pike fishing in late autumn onwards, in my experience if you want specimen size then fish deads, larger pike that have lost ambush speed turn to scavenging dead fish, if that doesn't work then "sink & draw" is basically the same rig but fished spinning style, wire traces are essential for any method though.

4. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

would a dead bait rig basically be the same as a carp running rig but with a long wire trace after the weight instead of a braided hooklength?

5. Frog

Frog Busy Member

Essentially yes. You can even hair rig a deadbait using a single treble hook and trace - makes a carp angler feel right at home:)

Frog

6. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

If you're ledgering deads with a wire trace only a running lead will do, it's not fair on the fish to use a fixed lead incase the mainline goes, your strike sets the hook anyway not the "bolt rig" effect, I don't actually use a lead, I use a fox swinger & a flying backlead to show up if it takes & swims towards me.

7. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

Thanks for the input guys thats a great help :up:

8. Frog

Frog Busy Member

Something that may help is that when carp fishing you might look for a plateau to fish on - when pike dead baiting you might do better on the drop off of such a feature.

Frog

foxtrott likes this.
  9. Paddler

Paddler Donator

South Devon where the cream goes on first!
    The only way I could persuade myself to fish for pike is...surface lures. Preferably popping/walk the dog type.. but that's my thang. ;)

10. Sky

Sky Top Poster

I only fish for Pike in the winter too, but have caught them in warmer times regularly.

I mainly fish for Carp (although not so much now), so getting to grips with barbed trebles on a wire trace can be 'interesting'.

Be careful not to 'catch' yourself and be sure you know how to handle the Pike properly (I'm sure you do already). :)

foxtrott likes this.
  11. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

I have been looking at articles on the angling times website and others about the proper unhooking procedures and what kit is essential for pike, I think getting the confidence to get my fingers under the gill plates to get their jaw open make take some getting used to, but with a fish on the bank and a hook in its gob it will be a case of safely getting on with it. I don't like the look of those jaw spreaders that you can buy they look a bit medieval.

Ash

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  12. Sky

Sky Top Poster

One of these will give you a little more confidence until you've mastered the technique:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREDATOR-...432633?hash=item238af90bb9:g:eUkAAOSwtYxZifZT

You have to be careful though, you can easily hurt the fish if you're too heavy handed. You certainly mustn't handle the fish with the hand wearing the glove if you can help it.

Once you've landed it, flip it on it's back on the mat and try and hold it down while you unhook it. You can kneel either side of the bigger ones, but best to have someone with you to help to start with.

I make it sound terrifying - it really isn't; just be careful. :)

Lastly, get some decent forceps - not the cheap s**t a lot of places will sell you.

danban likes this.
  13. Frog

Frog Busy Member

Not under the gill plates - more under the chin - you will find a sort of fold there made for the job of getting your fingers in to lift the jaw open - fish on its back. Pike are pretty delicate things out of water so as said before be gentle!

Frog

14. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

Will do

15. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, i buy a job lot of wire traces from china 12 and 18 inch, take off the over large swizels and put some decent clip swivels on, a single large hook with pinched barb and use rubber bands to hold dead bait, a pack of pike floats from china, i do not use any weights as dead bait is enough, if bottom fishing i just use a float as a slider to keep line central, a pike will take a fish side ways and turn it round so it goes in head first, so when you get a run it will stop and do as described and then strike on second run, a side ways strike is best to catch. my son uses those rubber fishy things with spinning rod, we take off treble hooks and put a large single as per dead baiting. dont forget a large wet mat and leather gloves made very wet, pike gag with some small cork bung glued on spikes to not harm, and large long foreceps, always have some disenfectant cream and plasters, if you do get a cut on skin from a pikes teeth make sure you sort it ASAP as your cut will bleed a lot , please check out on google pike mouth saliva, oh i have been pike fishing over 50 years and never had any problem doing it this way

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  16. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

Can you point me in the direction of where I may find how to make traces with single hooks and attaching bait as I've only ever seen trebles used?

What clip swivels do you use?

Cheers,
    Ash

17. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, these traces ebay, 262005289116 23/30c cut off those cheap link swivels / replace with mustard rolling swivel diamond eye snap link medium size fit as per like hook. other end cut off swivel. buy some stainless sea hooks 4s with large eye pinch barb a little still leaving enoough to stop un hooking , thread trace loop though eye and pull back so wire is round eye, so you have some long pike dead bait traces, buy some small rubber bands, get frozen sea bait say a smelt, small mackeral, put hook through tail and then hook into head so bend sticks out, rubber bands around tail and hook eye to stop coming off casting, fix to line with float at a depth to suite cast out and wait, not forgetting some tea and sarnies, here on the river thames pike feed most early morning till 2 ish. good luck ps pm if more info needed . i stopped using treble hooks years ago, with a single hook it is better for un hooking and not damadge fish

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  18. the dog

the dog Petrol engines do NOT like diesel

Read some of the previous posts with lip firmly between my teeth, but also some with good advice.
    Trace needs to be 18" long for dead baiting on a running lead. Two treble hooks with the barb flattened on two hooks on each treble, the barbed hook is for mounting the bait. You need a good pair of stainless forceps, 12" long as a minimum. A decent sized padded unhooking mat and a 40" landing net as a minimum. You never know you may hook into a good fish so you need to be prepared.
    Once landed, small pike can be held in one hand behind the head if lightly hooked or with two fingers under the jaw and thumb on top jaw to aid hook removal with forceps. Large pike should be placed on their back on the mat. Straddle the pike between the knees and place hand in under the lower jaw, NOT near the gill rakers ( which are bright red). Lift the lower jaw towards you, the weight of the pike assists in opening the mouth. Remove hooks with forceps. You do not need a gag, nor should you use one (with or without corks). They are barbaric, cause unnecessary stress to the fish and can actually hinder you unhooking cleanly. If you pulled a gag out of your bag at a PAC (pike anglers club) match they would stone you to death.
    The best tips I would give you would be...
    Be confident when handling pike, but take care. For all the reputation concerning pike, they are probably the most delicate on the bank. They do not handle stress as well as some other species.
    If it's your first trip out for pike, go with someone who knows what they are doing. Watch and learn is always a better approach than asking what to do on a forum, especially in this case. :up: I've not looked but I expect there will be some videos online somewhere showing how to do it.
    I've fished for over 40 years and had pike to over 30lb and rarely use a glove. However, if you feel the need try to get hold of some blue laggers gloves which are cut proof but thin so you still retain your dexterity.

D10bore and foxtrott like this.
  19. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, can you put a link up for the blue laggers gloves, cheers

20. the dog

the dog Petrol engines do NOT like diesel

I cannot find the exact glove online, but I know we used to get them from ARCO safety wear. I used to 'find' them at work.
    These are similar though.

http://www.arco.co.uk/product?productcode=G112556&s=1

If you have a look on their website for cut proof gloves you should find some suitably thin.