1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

lab colllie x?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by tatsumi, Mar 24, 2012.

1. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Anyone know much about them? Thinking of getting one for a family pet, or just going for a lab but not sure which one would suite us best. Buying an air rifle was much easyer!

2. FarmerSim

FarmerSim Well-Known Member

We had a stunning, blonde, F1 lab/collie cross. She was the epitome of a perfect family dog, but also worked, I'll find a picture later and post it up. brilliant bitch in every respect, even after seventeen stitches in my arm from her puppy teeth!!! ( my fault, obviously - she didn't "do" anything - my arm was in her mouth, "messing about", and someone moved!! )

She made 16 years, 5 months and two weeks, cost us next to nowt at the vet over her life. We've got two pure collies now, but we'd have another lab/collie, or two, in an instant.

ATB

Sim

3. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Nice mix of the two then, we have two young boys and two cats so the gentle side is important but we also walk alot, and i like a dog that will take command. The wife runs as a hobby so maybe the collie side will fit well.

Sim going on your username i take it your a "farmer"? Most we have seen for sale so far are from farms so i guess mr lab met missis collie, is it quite a common dog in that area of work?

Would love to see some pics too :)

4. DougR

DougR Busy Member

Assuming we are talking border collie - top family pet, biddable bright intelligent - better bet than either of the pure-breds.

5. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

It is Doug yeh

6. Jack

Jack Big Poster

I would rather go for a lab alone, as a family pet, I think collies are much more unpredictable than most dogs. I'm not tarring them all wuth the same brush but most of the collies i have met have been, okay, with people, not brilliant. Where as labs are just over joyed when anyone even looks at them.

7. One Ball 1971

One Ball 1971 Active Member

We have a chocolate Lab and she is lovely. As Jack abovesaid, she'd lick you to death when you walk through the front door ! ! ! !

8. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

As a breed are pure labs good for long distance, 12 mile walks say, stuff like that.
    As you can probably tell im not up on the dog types ;)
    I think if we go for a lab then it will be the working type, then we figure the collie might be good for stamina, or as the missis has just seen a retriever x lab which i bet is the softest dog you can get.
    Bit stumped in what to do for the best i guess

9. JD

JD Donator

Lab x collie = extra, extra brains, than need to be worked, get a dog like that and it could be trained to a high degree. You stay at home, send the dog out to work. LOL

10. FarmerSim

Yep, Me is a Farmer Ha ha! I'll have to scan some pics, as we didn't have a digital camera back then (!), - we actually had her with her niece, born within a day of each other, she was more border, like the two we have now are, and I would agree that the pure bred collies can be a bit tetchy, especially in later life - probably OK if you've got young kids now, but not if you want more young kids in ten years.... The other thing I've noticed with one of our current collies, is that she doesn't like the bang from a shotgun now she's getting on a bit (11), t'other one has absolutely NO interest, I'm guessing you could fire the thing next to her, and she wouldn't flinch ( (OBVIOUSLY) I'm not going to, but you get the idea....)

IMHO, labs, whilst lovely, and potentially very good working dogs, are a bit characterless - only my opinion, but.....

Lab X Retriever is a different thing entirely, and our daughter has a black one, just 12months old, and completely bonkers in the nicest possible way, but fine with kids ( 9yr old granddaughter, and 7month old grandson ) As yet, neither collie has paid any attention to the lad, and fine with the girl.

ATB

Sim

Our F1 was a genuis, and you could, quite regularly, "tell" her what to do, and she'd do it! Never did get the hang of tractor driving tho!!!

11. shepp

shepp Engaging Member

Can be a good cross, hopefully a bit calmer than the collie and longer lived and less likely to get fat than a lab.
    I prefer crosses especially first crosses, you get the hybid vigour and with that less chance of vet bills.

12. Jack

Jack Big Poster

Labs characterless?! Only if they're kenneled. My mrs dad trains gun dogs, mainly springers and labs, they're lovely but yeh they do a job, and they're kenneled. How ever I have a Jack, Collie, and a Lab, and they're all very different. None of them are more or less characterful. Just different! The collie (Megan) is the Lady, the lab molly is the slag, arse and fanny up tickle my belly, and Dillan the Jack is my little man. :)

13. chrisfrain

chrisfrain Engaging Member

My sister has a lab collie cross and it is potentially the daftest softest dog I have ever met

14. RedDogs

RedDogs Active Member

They can be a great cross as others have said but it's always worth rememering that you could end up with any combination of characteristics from the two breeds and it's not generally clear how they'll develop as pups. You could get a smart bt calm dog or you could get a food obsessed herder.

Whatever you go for make sure you do all the usual checks- see the pups with the mother, expect to be asked lots of questions by the breeder etc. Alternatively this is not an unusual cross to come into rescues as pups so it might be worth keeping an eye on ones near you.

15. ths

ths Busy Member

Im living with one at the moment and its just a playful loving dog it makes me want to get one of my own! This one (Ruby) actually hugs you with her front paws when you say hugs and puts her head down haha

16. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Guys thank you all for your thoughts and advice, Marco shared some of his experiances and i think for our own set up the collie side would be a mistake although if it was just me and a dog thats what i would get. So many factors and variables you cannot predict i guess so best play it safe and get the right mix. I do think a dog is what you make it to a greater point, much like kids.

We've just arranged a viewing in pickering this aft to see some retriever x labs, dads pure lab and mothers pure retriever from a family set up, good prices too and the owners just say come round anytime so see them and the parents which is a good sign. Ready for the start of easter hols too so two weeks off to bond and re arrange the house, we've already done it but again when we first had kids it all went out of the window what we thought we knew. Very much looking forward to the addition, table and carpet already destroyed from our first so no harm can be done there ;).

17. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Off looking at lead patterns now to make a custom one...... :D

18. FarmerSim

With apologies for the delay, here are a couple of pics of our F1 lab collie X. regretably no longer with us, but she was a hell of a hound.

You are probably better with a retriever cross than a collie cross, especially if you want to do relatively long walks. As was also said above, if you can see both parents, then that is always reassuring - rather than some "breeders" who won't let you, and "maybe" have someting to hide!!

ATB

Sim

Attached Files:

19. tatsumi

tatsumi Big Poster

Beautiful Sim thanks for sharing :)

20. JD

JD Donator

And remember Tats, if the collar fits, make one for all the AGF members, as they like a bit of LEAD. LOL