1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Knives

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Yak, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Just searched for what hunting knife in the search box and found loads of info.
    question I have is do any of you use a Stanley knife.
    pro's and cons

2. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I used to carry a Stanley Knife blade for gutting & skinning back when I was doing a lot of rabbits, in fact a lot of people were doing that, especially the older ones, then ended up using Opinels instead.

I recently had a rethink though, I've been doing a lot of plasterboard recently & my old Stanley knife was getting permanently jammed by the dust, I just got one of these:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-ste...es/48721#product_additional_details_container

It's basically a lock knife you put Stanley Knife blades in.

3. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Someone on here gave me a link to a decent hunting knife, I got one, only cost around £11. You could skin a lion with it. Kin sharp and keeps a lovely edge. Just wish I could remember the make. Bright orange in an orange scabbard to. KB1

4. Tmaxxjj

Tmaxxjj Busy Member

Sounds like a Mora :)

5. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

It may be a Mora Knife, they are bright orange, green, blue ect. In stainless or carbon blades and are from £6 -£15

Andrew

6. craigfishin

craigfishin Donator

7. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Oliver 13
    thats the sort of thing I was thinking about. Small, sharp and easy to change blades no sharpening necessary .
    any negatives?

8. sharpsman

sharpsman Big Poster

Stanley type knives belong in a tool box imho, i would not fancy breasting pigeons out with one or anything else come to think of it a small curved blade with a bit of length to it such as the opinels will be much better and safer for field use.

9. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

No real negatives as such, build quality is a little suspect maybe but it's not made by Gerber or Cold Steel - it's actually very good for the price, & its a little heavy & bulky for a jeans pocket.
    It's got a lock back mechanism & I prefer a liner lock, but that's not really a negative, it does work well

Positives.
    It's a very strong knife, if it had a normal blade it would be 5mm thick at the hinge - partly why it's a bit much to carry in jeans,
    After a bit of use it has loosened up nicely & can be popped open one handed.
    There's a small spring loaded compartment in the handle that holds 5 or 6 spare blades.

It does make a very good Stanley knife as well...

10. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It's no good for game preparation as such, it's just to clean stuff in the field so you can take it home & finish it there.

11. buckgav

buckgav Well-Known Member

I use a folding Stanley type knife I picked up in £1 shop for gutting rabbits, works great. but I also carry a fixed blade knife for any jobs the the stan can't do.

12. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Back in the day when I used to hunt I used an old school razor blade to skin and gut all my squirrel kills.

13. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

I use Opinel folder and a mora , depends which one i find in shooting jacket pocket , stanley knife blade at a push but as most have said a curved blade is best , each to there own , Grumps is often surprised by how many people have a gut hook on there rabbiting knifes ! , Qick rant on knifes. Bear Gryls :mad: the only good thing about your knife range is having the sense to put day glow handles on them . So when im out and about in day to day field sport related activities i can avoid easily anybody sporting anything endorsed by Bear Gryls ( Exception to rule Eurosabre at forum meets :facepalm: ) Mini rant over ,,, ish . :coffee:

14. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

So... Do you approve of my Razor blade practicality?

15. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Nope, sorry but I've got to disagree - don't knock the Bear.
    For the money his knives are pretty good. Fair enough you could easily do better if you were in the know, but if you just walked in a shop & put your money down they aren't kak either.

They are made in China though so quality control will always be suspect, maybe you had a bad one?

16. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

This should do the trick!!:D

Attached Files:

17. 177

177 Donator

I prefer a small, thin, fixed blade.

Anything that folds or locks is a comparative pain to keep clean and sanitary, although much more convenient to carry around...

18. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Stanley do do a curved blade for carpet and a hooked blade for Lino.

19. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

Get a couple of Opinels, cheap, easy to sharpen and last for ages.
    Stanleys are for lino and carpet or a weapon for inadequate meatheads.

20. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

I do , however iv seen some nasty finger slicing incidents !!!!!!!