1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Knife crime

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by terry1001, Jan 26, 2017.

1. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Was anyone surprised by the huge reported rise in knife crime in spite of the strict laws about carrying anything larger than a pencil sharpener. I've not noticed a fall in gun crime either for that matter.

2. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Big Poster

that simply because criminals don't abide by the law by nature.
    that's why,after Hungerford,Dunblane and the rest,people are still getting shot in the UK by guns that don't exist

3. c96

c96 Donator

100% agree

4. Jim-in-Darwen

Jim-in-Darwen Donator

I was surprised to see just what is considered to be a banned knife on a TV police programme. A guy was charged with carrying a lock knife which was found in his car and it was a folding "Stanley Knife" that locks open. This would have a blade that protruded by about 1inch.
    It came as a bit of a shock because I always have an identical one in my pocket when I go to the club range as it is handy for cutting open bags of logs used on our wood burners.
    Just what can I legally carry?

Jim

5. foxtrott

foxtrott Pro Poster

Good question I always carry a lock Stanley in the front of the van for cutting straps bags etc

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Blade less than 3" and without a locking hinge, like a slippit hinge.

I carry a Lansky World Legal knife but it does look *ahem* a bit intimidating despite its status.

I think we still need a common sense approach when carrying legal knives, I'd never carry one when out say drinking or cinema or when entering public buildings like courts etc.

7. mark1967

mark1967 Engaging Member

Not really,despite what figures they pump out it certainly seems to most people I speak to that violent crime in general has increased.As for knives I've yet to meet anyone with a definite idea of what you can or can't carry legally.

Thats because of this:

The ban on handguns was never about reducing crime as even dumbo's like politicians know the above fact.The move to having a disarmed population was a gradual thing which started long before Hungerford or Dunblane.I've no doubt Americans are going down the same road also, although at a slower pace than we did.
    :Mini rant over:

8. Jim-in-Darwen

Jim-in-Darwen Donator

My locking "Stanley Knife" does have a blade less than 3 inches but does have a locking hinge so that makes it illegal.
    On that premise the police could stop just about everyone carrying tools in their car and charge them.
    On which side of the law does a standard "Stanley Knife" fall as the blade is under 3 inches but is no different than mine when I open and lock it?
    I could go into the local cop shop, show it them and ask but maybe not a good idea. ;)

Jim

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If I recall correctly the ban on locking blade knives etc followed a spate of problems with football 'fans' slashing one another with Stanley knives. Of course a lot of people use these daily for work etc and may well have them thrown in the car/van glove box etc and this is likely to get them into trouble. The knee jerk reactions of our politicians just means that the real problems don't get addressed because they are more interested in appearing to do 'something' and appealing to the general public who remain ignorant of the facts because they get their information from the populist media.
    We have (and for a very long time) laws which cover stabbing or shooting so if some idiot stabs someone then he has probably broken many different laws and could be charged with a dozen or more separate offences - if he's prepared to commit murder, grievious bodily harm etc etc then he's not likely to be put off by the possibility of being charged with carrying a knife which is a much lower level offence.

10. Rob-GB

Rob-GB Posting Addict

The law relates to " a reasonable reason for carrying"
    I, as a carpenter and joiner, have allsorts of tools that could be re-described as "weapons" or "carrying with intent" by over zealous law enforcement who own zero common sense.
    There is a good write up on BCUK here and some other articles that may be of use to the law abiding members of AGF as I know you all to be.

Rob.

11. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Unless you have a good reason to be carrying it, like in a toolkit.

Simply chucking it in the glovebox might not cut it but in a holdall or toolbox in the back of a builders/roofers van would be a valid reason.

I carry 3 legal knives (by the UK legal definition) in my tac pack which I use as a 'man bag', If stopped and searched they are sure to raise eyebrows and cause the cuffs to come out but I am prepared to stand my ground that they are entirely legal under UK law.

I educated my niece recently on the laws regarding legally carried knives as she has recently joined the police and didn't realise that there were 'legal' versions that could be carried EDC - eye opener, you'd think this would be high on the agenda of policing, especially for new recruits.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  12. warrenater

warrenater Donator

I rather doubt that there any real guidelines for what a legal carry knife is , but when you think about it a pair of socks and a pocketful of coins could be construed a lethal weapon . If you have a large sheaf knife in your game bag along with your rifle in its slip in your boot it would probably come under the heading of reasonable reason , but if you carry a non locking blade under 3 " to the local dance and get searched after getting into a fracas i bet they would do you for carrying .
    just my personal thoughts on it so tell me if i am wrong but point me in the direction where it states what you can carry :)

13. hepcat

hepcat Donator

its not the laws that need changing , its the charges and punishments that need changing .you can kill with bare hands :up: so does that mean theres a law on how long your fingers can be ?

14. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

This explains it https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

15. mark1967

mark1967 Engaging Member

Why do I find myself shaking my head in disbelief when I get to the bit where it mentions the writing on "zombie knives" :rolleyes:

16. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

The carrying of any knife should be banned unless you can prove that very minute you have a reason for it. Say if you have fishing gear/Rifle with rabbits/fish gutted in the boot. Anyone with a knife in a public place should be instantly be taken to prison and do 6 months skipping the courts completely, as if your carrying you are with intention.

My sisters only child was murdered after an argument with a knife carrying scrote, I have no liking for anyone who would carry a knife without real cause.

EDIT: Sorry, Im still very sore about it all.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  17. hepcat

hepcat Donator

understandable mate and feel for you :up:

18. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Well you have to look at from both angles, yes despite our strict laws on gun ownership and the carrying of knifes we still have gun and knife grime but how much more of that type of crime would we have if those controls were not in place and we had the same level,or to be more precise lack of, gun control as they have in America.Anyone who thinks that it it wouldn't make any difference probably needs a better grasp of reality.No laws however strict will completely prevent gun or knife crime as the really determined criminal will manage to obtain a weapon illegally most probably but our strict laws make it more difficult for undesirable or unsuitable people from obtaining a gun which as a consequence lessens the risk of and/or the number of gun crimes.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  19. bunny basher

bunny basher Engaging Member

well u need to take into account that most knife crimes are with every day kitchen knifes and most people dont go out and spend money on a knife just in case they need one for a crime

20. kal el

kal el Posting Addict

i dont know facts and figures or numbers and stats but alot of knives used to commit murder etc have been "home use" kitchen style carving, bread etc. more so than someone going equipped with a bowie/machete etc just from what is reported in the media.

that being said i was in the town a good few years ago, possibly 12, and a cracker jack was standing near a bin at the gate shouting at me to come over.
    i was a little bit wobbly and he seemed distressed so i went over (6ft) away and he pulled out a massive kitchen knife. instant sober up time.
    i, after what felt like a lifetime on my own had to shout 2 passing police as he was nuts. in view he chucked it in the bin, i dived on him and he was nicked. i got thanks and praise, but a telling off as i didnt have a vest on, and i dont think it even went to court.

where is the deterrent or even non custodial rehab, soft bloody judges and do gooders have seen that off, but if you have a genuine reason it will be persued.

its all wrong