1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Just shot mummy rat while feeding with her kits - feel like a bit of a bstard..

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, May 29, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

While they've not gone away I haven't shot any rats recently - mainly due to the thick cover that's sprung up between the house and chicken run now the weather's warmed up. This means we rarely see them; although there are still plenty of signs they're still there.

I glanced out of the bedroom window earlier (5 minutes before I had to leave for work :rolleyes:) to see a fair amount of suspicious grey-brown movement in the run; through the leaves of the shrubbery. Further inspect revealed at least four rats nonchalantly feeding on the chickens' layers pellets. The S410 and ready-loaded-but-separately-stored mag were grabbed and taken to the adjacent bathroom window for a better view.

Resting my leading hand on the window frame and right knee on the top of the toilet allowed a decent view through the trellace and past the shrubs; to witness one large, fat rat (mother, I assume) and three or four much smaller rats (presumably her offspring) moving around inside the run. As I watched and waited for the opportunity of a shot, the mother had a brief but animated spat with a squirrel (which I really ought to shoot but usually don't) before settling down to feed again once they grey had eaten its fill and left.

Eventually a shot presented itself; allowing a good clean view of the larger rat and the area around it (to ensure no chickens or other rats were near the target and at risk of being hit). The shot was squeezed off; resulting in a solid "thwack" as the .22 AA Hunter passed through the rat's head and skidded along the paving slab floor - leaving a fan-shaped spash in the mud before presumably coming to rest under the side of the run. The rat simply rolled over, twitched for a maybe 15 seconds (just uncoordinated nerves / reflex action / "helicopter tail") before being still.

The rifle was cleared and I made my way downstairs to find the rat stone dead, right where it had fallen. Being already late for work I left it there until I return home later and can clean it up (sling it over the wall into adjacent fields :p).

I took the larger rat as I figured it was the most savvy of the lot and shooting this one first would give me the best chance of shooting the remaining inexperienced, smaller ones later. In addition its movements were slower and more predictable than the smaller ones and it clearly took priority at the feeder. The smaller rats were feeding on the layers pellets so I know they won't starve in the absence of their mother, and although I feel 100% justified in taking the shot I'm soft as shoite and still feel like a bit of a Censored for doing so :eek:

Bottom line is their colonisation of the garden is damaging, invasive and potentially dangerous so they need to go. Given how bold / inexperienced they seem to be I'll maybe spend an hour sat in the bathroom window later and see if I can claim a few more..

I know rats have bad PR and doubt they'll get a lot of sympathy on here. That said, would anyone have done anything differently in my situation?

2. Stevenb

Stevenb Donator

i would of done the same mate<i would of phoned in sick and stayed put,love ratting.dont feel bad mate there vermin and need exterminating.

3. The Admiral

The Admiral Member

Rather than seeing you as, in your own words, 'as soft as Censored', I think your post betrays a very mature, sensible and considerate attitude to shooting and wildlife. It's case of protecting your garden and animals, and in that situation you acted reasonably, and ended the life of the rat in a humane way - a safe, 'kill first time' shot to the head. The rat would have felt nothing, and died instantly - no shame in that, and to take any life should be an action weighed carefully every time in my view.

Just ts my view of course.

4. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Well done i say mate, the only thing i'd have done differently would have been to stay and shoot every last one of them.
    Nasty filthy horrible things, and they're on the increase, so killing them is right imo.

I know somebody who's life has been ruined (wheelchair bound) from Weils disease, seeing what it's done to him tells me killing rats is right ;)

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

totally agree with this!!

i would of done the same, the last time my neighbour had rats, it was too close to get a shot off!

so sent in the expert, my jack Russell:)

6. neiled

neiled Donator

Couldn't agree more..........exterminate the barstewards, every single one of them!

7. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

MURDERER!!!!!! :)

8. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

nice write up, mills and boon eat your heart out :D ......

9. scoop

scoop Busy Member

Dont feel bad about shooting rats
    You shot it , a clean kill , no suffering
    Whats the other options , trapping or poisoning which can just as easy kill non target animals and poisoned rats get eaten by other animals which die a horrible death

10. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

rats are vermin and dangerous so you took the right action, now do the right thing and shoot the rest of them have fun nothing beats the sound of a pellet hitting a rats brain:thumb:

11. goatboy

goatboy Engaging Member

Just spent the morning wire meshing the chicken run to keep the rats out as i am not allowed to use my air rifles on my rented property, the rats can find an easier free meal elsewhere and i can hop off down the woods where i have permission to shoot. Alas, such is life.

12. 177

177 Donator

Yes, well, dragging this kicking and screaming back on topic, I would echo The Admiral's comments.

You took responsibility to do what is necessary and you cleanly despatched the rat - that is key to this whole discussion as far as I am concerned.

Over the last year or so I've met a few shooters who adopt the:

deer = £'s
    fox = must die, or be sufficiently injured to no longer pose a threat, real or imagined
    rats = must kill as many as possible as fast as possible - injury permissable

etc,.

Seriously, this last year or so has seen me fall out with a few people I've known for a long time when I see how they approach pest and vermin control.

Justifying why we do it is hard enough, but the way in which some folks go about it is pretty despicable IMHO

Last year I held a rat up for my daughter to look at that I had just shot.

"Argh, poor rat", she said.

Fair response, especially taking into account that its mouth was full of bird seed that it obviously had plans for...

"Should I stop shooting them ?"

I wanted to give her the opportunity to make that decision.

"No, just kill them quickly."

Dead proud, I am :)

If you take it on yourself to do it, then you should make sure you do it right.

Well done for doing just that.

Given that rats and rabbits can breed year round and are only really a little less active in the colder months, it is inevitable that what we shoot will have more far reaching effects than just the one animal.

You can either find a way of dealing with that, or not.

Having suffered rat damage to my home before, as well as outbuildings, crops and livestock, I don't have an issue with humanely dealing with them.

Bravo - I think more shooters could do well to consider things as you did...

13. jantar

jantar Donator

Quite the normal thing to do. It gets rid of a few more future breeders and so lessen the problem.

14. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I quite like rats, they're engaging creatures & if they didn't do so much damage, including killing my chickens, I'd be quite happy to live & let live - but they do so I shoot them, I would have shot the baby rats too so don't feel so bad about it.

15. cloverleaf

Thanks for the support :)

Tbh I feel no particular malice and hatred towards the rats (other than as a result of the damage they've done); they're only acting out of necessity by populating an area with plentiful food, just as I'm protecting my interests by trying to reduce their numbers and the damage they cause. It is what it is.

I take no pleasure in killing but a quick, clean dispatch with a well-placed head shot is certainly satisfying :up:

16. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

They will survive us that's for sure:D

17. cloverleaf

Unless we take everything else with us when we go; although I suspect you're right.. Ironic that we talk of the rats' destructiveness when globally we as a race have caused infinitely more damage than they ever could :(

18. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Just a thought though matey you may wanna "burn em in the name of health and hygiene" other than that "shoot the lot" filthy stinking sacks of Shoite !!!

19. sniper11

sniper11 Mr

There vermin and need to be exterminated at every opportunity...nothing wrong with feeling a bit of compassion though.

20. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

Rat shooting and damadge

hello, some time ago i watched a programme where a farmer was at the end of his tether and nearly going out of business due to a rat infestation that even poison could not control and was at a loss of what to do, and i mean lots of rats!!!!!! 100s times more than what i try and shoot. so he called on the help of a few good professional type air gunners who shoot often could have been 3? and over a period of weeks months they killed 1,000s so got it down to reasonable numbers and things are good at this farm and much reduced damadge costs. i sometimes put poison down where i know no rat will escape to be eaten buy birds of prey. dogs etc, so bearing in mind cloverleafs topic of shooting adults with young or young rats their breeding will confirm 1 pair will have ? young after, then those will breed to have ? numbers and so on then you have this farmers problem. so its worth noting those looking for a perm dont always consider rabbits/ pigeons/ etc as your main quarry as 1 rat shot will show as above a worth while cause and keeping your perm owner happy in the process.