1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Jumping fps on TX200 MK3

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Corbarwolf, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

Need some assistance, struggling to identify the problem with my TX200 mk3. For no obvious reason she will jump 70fps for 20 or more pellets then back again and keep alternating. Tonight I took my target out to 27yrds and zeroed when running at 730 ish. Combro used to check every pellet. Inside she has the original air arms steel guides and top hat bur with the tbt short stroke kit fitted. This combo gave a nice feel and around 10.2 fpe. But this jump puts her around 12.5.
    As you can see the groups are consistent and at the 735 area lovely to shoot. What is going off? View attachment 148745

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Posting Addict

No 1 job
    make sure you can trust your chrono

3. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

I'm not sure the chrono will be making the group move like that.

Something binding inside causing fake preload that goes away after a few shots?

4. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

putting the chrono aside for the moment, even assume it's completely useless, something is causing two poi's for alternating quantities say 30 then 20 then 20 etc
    I agree Simon it feels that way, but what could it be I wonder.
    is this symptomatic of dieseling?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. Poison Dwarf

Poison Dwarf Engaging Member

You have installed a new kit. Spring guide OK?

6. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

currently the original steel guide (seems to be fine) and steel top hat is in as the delrin tuned guide felt tighter so tried to eliminate that as a problem but left the short stroke extension on the piston as this did feel better and gave a resultant 10fpe thereabouts.

7. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

Is it a square section spring in a TX? Might be catching on the end of the spring guide compressing it more between the guide & TH?

8. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Make sure the short stroke spacer is concentric to the piston and rear bearing, if not as the piston rotates it will hit a tighter area and slow the piston down , there is more to this tuning lark than meets the eye :rolleyes:

9. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

Not square section and round wire seems pick up free both ends.
    Couldn't make it any more concentric, but hey worth another look on both counts.
    Does the spring continue to rotate slowly in circles in a single direction or release back to the start of the rotation?
    When the seal is retracted does grease pass under the leading edge and when thrust forward does the seal leading
    skirt flare outwards against the inner bore applying more pressure
    collecting spare grease as it goes?
    all a school day eh:up:

10. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

Could breech seal failure cause this effect of 2 alternating POI?

11. greyskull

greyskull Busy Member

I would think if breech seals were iffy it would be lower on power all the time, if you need any, speak to 'Dag' on this forum about replacements.
    Regarding the piston seal "collecting spare grease as it goes", can I ask how much grease you have on the seal / comp tube inner wall, it only needs the lightest of smears, otherwise it could migrate to the front face of seal and maybe give dieseling?
    Are there any witness marks on the short stroke nose conversion?
    Would it be worth putting it back to standard spec as a test to see if your consistency returns.
    Not much help I'm afraid, but worth looking at all avenues I suppose, and the TX is so easy to pull apart and look inside.
    Good luck,
    Atb Nev :thumb:

12. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Beware the Springer

My guess is dieselling given the power jump so check for smoke / smell. Short stroking increases chamber pressure which increases temperature. Seems 20 odd shots might be depleting a fuel reserve which then replenishes itself slowly. I'd open her up, degrease and then give a light lubrication. You can examine the internals at the same time for any scoring or damage which might suggest another cause. Check the colour of the piston seal too, white ones will appear brown / yellow stained if there's any combustion going on.

13. Brett80

Brett80 Engaging Member

Try another batch of pellets. Perhaps you have a mix of head sizes?

14. Oat

Oat Very Active

Dieseling?
    Otherwise i would recommend a strip down, clean, degrease and regrease. Remember that more is less where grease is concerned.
    If still no luck i would put it back to standard spec and test it - that way you can rule out if the issue is with one of the modifications.

15. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

There is no way that this would be responsible given the FPS we are talking about.

16. Brett80

Brett80 Engaging Member

Not head size, you're right! But I've mixed a tin of Diablo field and Diablo field express without realising and had this result. Managed it on Tuesday while not paying attention.

17. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

Last night I took photos of the internals. Too much grease ? Wiped away and reapplied Moly as shown this blob covered the piston seal and the 2 oil rings. No obvious scoring damage in chamber. Stroke extension as concentric as I left it and not loose. Breech seals looked in good order. (10 photos per post limit - 1st set)
    View attachment 148852 View attachment 148853 View attachment 148854 View attachment 148855 View attachment 148856 View attachment 148857 View attachment 148858 View attachment 148859 View attachment 148860 View attachment 148861

18. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

19. Corbarwolf

Corbarwolf Member

20. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

I am talking about the piston rotating, freely