1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Job Hunting - What To Do?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Pete236, May 18, 2018.

1. Pete236

Pete236 Keyboard Hero

Morning all.

Turns out my boss is a total and utter arsewipe, who rants and raves - in front of customers - at the people who work for him. F'ing and blinding, accusations of laziness, uselessness, younger the general idea.
    It's not the first time he has screamed at me for something which was nothing to do with me, and there won't be another time as I am leaving as soon as I can get my tool boxes out.

The question is, what the hell can I do?

I'm not an engineer or machinist. Although I can make things I'm not a fabricator or welder.
    I'm no good with modern cars, and there are very few classic/vintage car places around.

What alternatives are there instead of cars?

I'm in rather a low frame of mind after all this, just can't think clearly about what to do.
    Any advice would be very welcome.

2. hughlle

hughlle Big Poster

What drives you? (sorry for the pun), what is your specific skill set? Do you want to make use of your existing skills, or retrain? Do you want to be working with your hands, be sat behind a desk writing emails and making phone calls, applying your brain to complex problems?

Without more information, all I could really say is that there are many alternatives instead of cars.

3. milek

milek Honorary Member

First and foremost is if you are committed to leaving make sure you give him both barrels in front of everyone. Second, know this, something always turns up. Life is too short to live in fear of a bully so do what’s right for you.

PumpnGun and SteveO like this.
  4. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Keyboard Hero

or a better alternative is to get a job first and then tell him to "get Censored"
    how long can you survive with no income?

Emmagoldy likes this.
  5. Emmagoldy

Emmagoldy Engaging Member

Yep Buffy to the rescue... get yourself a new job first then leave.

I used to work for a bully. She would walk past my desk and hit the back of my head.

The owner was her step dad but it didn't stop me going through channels . Made a complaint.

Nothing really ever got resolved. But I dealt with her by replying "I'm not prepared for you to talk to me this way. I find it unnacceptable" then I would get up and walk out of the office. To calm down. When I was ready I would go back to work like nothing happened. It really wound her up.

It took practice.

She invited me to her wedding reception so must have found some sort of respect for me. The abuse did lessen over time but she couldn't help it. The behaviour was too engrained in her personality.

My new job when I finally left was twice the salary. Didn't last too long (freight forwarding companies come and go) but it made me a better person . I grew a lot.

I left freight forwarding and bought a fireplace shop with Darren back in 2002.

Similar skills required but face to face customers instead of over the phone. The owner stuck around and trained us.

Never looked back

I'm 43 going on 44 with a 4 day working week (when I can ) 12 mins away from home (not 50).

I don't care about a big house or a fast car. Live within my means and earn enough to enjoy every day.

Good luck and all the best.

Emma

BiggaJ, Trampilot, RickOchet and 4 others like this.
  6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

Ring around the RFD's and see if they want sales advisors Pete - nice job that though I'm sure the pay probably isn't too interesting maybe?

7. rich79

rich79 Donator

I'd send emails direct to other similar companies, that's what i did, in my experience these job agency websites dont do much.
    My old boss used to get personal with people, if you inadvertently upset him you'd find yourself losing your overtime & set basic hours, he'd hit you financially.
    I left knowing the only other people that could do my job were both well into retirement age, no point making a song & dance about it.

8. Rob-GB

Rob-GB Busy Member

As others said find a job first and do as I did many years ago when the company I worked for got rid of everyone but me and expected me to run the whole warehouse and trade counter on my own for no more pay. I locked the doors on saturday morning and rang the area manager to say I quit come and get the keys. he tried to talk me into staying then threatened me that I would not get another job as he would not give me a reference. I started on the monday helping build canary wharf as a self employed chippie.

Could you take your skills into a self employed business? Motor bikes are in the main not as complicated as computer chipped cars. I helped a mate pick up his Harley from a guy who worked from home making stainless exhausts for custom bikes (very neat welds). Hope you find something that suits soon.
    Rob.

9. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

I wish you the very best whatever you find to do. I've worked for some bullies in the past and its horrible. Last year a colleague who was after my job made false accusations against me and then left the same day! I had to go through a three month suspension and investigation before they told me I could go back to work. I never went back. I have M.E. high blood pressure and Fibromyalgia and it affected my health so much that I'm now applying to retire on the grounds of ill health. My rheumatology consultant, occupational health consultant and GP are all backing me 100% which is great. Hopefully when it is all sorted I'll start to recover a bit. One of the things which has helped me cope is my shooting (when I'm well enough) as it is very cathartic and I find it peaceful and calming.

BiggaJ, rellum and SteveO like this.
  10. sabc

sabc Donator

After deciding to leave my last job it took a year to find what was right for me. Best thing I ever did, I was in last job 12years. I did have some fun with them before I left though. I was once told “let it go, move on” my reply was I will just as soon as I find another job.

11. Issac

Issac Post Whore

Can I suggest going self employed with something very simple such as window cleaning. No confrontation, no grief and you are in charge.

After leaving the police I set up a window cleaning business and have a pretty good lifestyle, often only working half days, but still bringing in sensible money.

Initial outlay can be small, ladder, buckets etc then as time moves on turn to poles and a van system. I have never looked back.
    I would be happy to provide you a few pointers if you pm me.

milek likes this.
  12. Akita177

Akita177 Very Active

When i was a controls engineer working all over the country, i ended up doing alot of work in london on my own which i didnt like, all the time i saw so many terrible car wrecks i thought thats gonna be me one day, so i saved up 10 grand to have a buffer and resigned after injuring my ankle on a building site.

13. Wacko74

Wacko74 Engaging Member

Sounds like you are working for a complete TW*T that hasn't got a professional bone in his body
    Hit the online recruitment guys, Monster, Indeed etc and also any local to you
    get on Linked-in as well as its full of useful contacts and recruitment agencies

Good luck with your next move pal

BiggaJ and audi swift like this.
  14. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Bad situation to be in ... unless you've got enough cash squirreled away to cover the time between jobs, find another first and then tell him to foxtrot oscar. Also make sure your CV is up to date before you start applying for things and, when it is, tailor it to each position you apply for emphasising your strengths and skills for that job.

If you walk out of the job, I believe the DWP may view you as making yourself purposely unemployed which could affect your entitlement to any claim for JSA or Universal Credit.

Emmagoldy likes this.
  15. themadspread

themadspread Donator

pete before you go as mick said belittle him in front of everybody and then give him a proper right hander for all to see:thumb:

PumpnGun likes this.
  16. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Donator

If you have or could raise a bit of money then you could use your skills to trade in modern classics from the 80's & 90's. Or older stuff if you can get your hands on a wedge. There's lots of stuff about needing a bit of work that can be bought cheaply from auction, ebay or gumtree etc. Motor trade insurance is quite expensive but this is something you could possibly do from home, which would keep the overheads down & you'd probably pick up mechanic work from meeting people as well. Or get a decent code reader & some diagnostics kit & learn to work on the modern stuff & you could become a mobile mechanic.

SteveO likes this.
  17. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

Thats was shocking to read Emma, You're a really nice person having met you, maybe that's why the bully targeted you - thinking nice = weak WRONG!!, You were strong enough not to react badly and way more mature than this shocking despicable woman.

Now you have a nice life with a man who loves you and own your own business! - thank her for helping you attain that, while she's probably a miserable old cow with a cheating husband because she's treated him badly, I'm just surmising but that's probably not far wrong! :D

Money isn't everything, if you've got enough to feed you, put a roof overhead, clothes on back and the odd treat (like a gun) that's enough in my book, I don't judge a person's success by their bank balance, someone with a great family and friends who love them is way more wealthy and successful at life IMO!

All the best to you both! ;)

Hope something works out for you Pete! ;)

Emmagoldy likes this.
  18. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

My lad and nephew uploaded their CV's and profile to one of these job hunting sites where employers can browse and select from, maybe that's the way to go, get yourself out there with as much exposure as possible until the right employer hits you up. They were both head hunted within a few weeks and both have jobs they love now.

If it were me, I'd like to do general property maintenance as well as light car repairs, servicing etc.. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades but master of non, I know a few who make very decent livings from being versatile and working like this.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    danban likes this.
  19. Treecreeper

Treecreeper Donator

Sorry, must have missed the bit about an alternative to cars the first time round. :oops: People who can service central heating boilers always seem to be in demand & can earn good money. You'd need a bit of training but it's a similar skill set to a mechanic. Or, painting & decorating doesn't need much in the way of tools & good ones are never short of work.

You could also look on the net for careers advice websites which ask you your skills & interests so they can come up with suggestions for jobs. Or just find any old job & take it from there, you might get some ideas from doing something different.

SteveO likes this.
  20. nevadacowboy

nevadacowboy Donator

Hi Pete,
    If you want to remain in the same type of work target your CV at companies similar to the one you currently work for. You could also include photos of work you have completed. Look at auto museums, classic car collectors,,in fact anywhere that may have an interest in the type of work you do. Also look in the classic car magazines as there may be vacancies advertised.
    You might find it useful to have a word with ACAS to see if you have a case for constructive dismissal. I would however follow the advice already given and find another job before leaving this one. Is there any possibility that you can go over your boss's head and make an official complaint about his behaviour. If he treats all the staff the same it may be worthwhile getting together and having a meeting with him or his superior. Whatever you decide, I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited: May 18, 2018