1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I've really done it this time...

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by PandaMan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. PandaMan

PandaMan Busy Member

'this time' is actually many instances over the past 6 months... :p

I'm really annoyed at myself because I somehow stopped caring about my education. I'm currently in the 6th form doing Physics, Maths and Product Design.
    About 6 months ago I just gave up, literally for no reason. I am very capable and I know, 100% that if I had been trying all this time I would not be struggling so. At GCSE I got 4 A*s, 6 As and 2Bs, so I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I am academic material.

I'm still on track for Cs, maybe Bs, overall but I know I could do so much better if I really tried. With deadlines quickly approaching on 3 different pieces of coursework (3-4 weeks) I honestly don't think I can do much better than 3 Cs at this point.

I don't want sympathy; the fault is mine and mine alone.
    In fact I am not entirely sure why I posted this. I just felt like telling this to someone other than myself...

2. Margaret13

Margaret13 Honorary Member

You silly thing you was so on track ..it does get hard towards the end I know with my daughter nearly giving up but she got there in the end .....the trouble is she would have always been mad with herself knowing she could have done better ....lets hope you know more than you think you do ....now get your head down

3. stefan

stefan I am the passenger

as marg says get your head down mate and get into it ,only you will reep the rewards of what you have put in

4. swsmith20

swsmith20 Donator

you know what you need to do, you need to knuckle down, stop pi@@ing around and get your college work done.

I know plenty of people who now regret messing around at school, dont come one of them.

5. mildot

mildot Busy Member

Just like you I was good and capable - possibly too much so - it was easy enough and so I didn't bother. My results were just like your forecast, but I carried on not giving much of a monkey's and my A'levels were poor. So rather than do a degree I had to do an HND. I was lucky enough to then go on and do a degree, but in a different subject. I won't say my HND was wasted time, but I've certainly felt like I've been catching up ever since. In this day and age, paying for your continued education as you might have to, there's no room for bu88ering about. Knuckle down. ATB

6. Tan

Tan Donator

Mate, the worst thing you can do is start worrying at your age. Take it from someone who has been through the Censored. Do the best you can, with the time you have left, and with each day, try and make sure you are better than the last. Plan your time effectively and don't go to extremes either; find a middle ground, and trust me, opportunities will keep coming your way. Don't feel disheartened, because at your age, you have your whole life ahead of you. You have learnt from your mistakes and that is the number one rule. Good luck.

T.

7. PandaMan

PandaMan Busy Member

Encouraging words guys, thank you :)

8. hawkeye87

hawkeye87 Engaging Member

Don't waste your time in school mate. As the old saying goes you'll want to be back there as soon as you leave. I was quite bright but never tried. Always bunking and being a jack the lad. Now nobody wants to employ me. Apart from the cafe I work in and I only work there cos my dad used to own it. I'm sure 90% of people on here will tell you that if they could have their time at school again, they would nuckle down.
    Atb ben

9. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

As we say up here in the frozen North . Squre thine sel up lad :up: Hey Grumps was put forward a year at 9 Big deal as my birthday was 3 days before the cut of for the year below so i was the youngest in my year anyway . hey long story short i blew of education at 16 and just got on with it being outside , spent 18 years and travelling and working around the world , i now work on barn conversions and listed buildings mostly getting rained on and with two miserable old sods all day every day in the Cumbrian hills !!! Best job Grumps has ever had . However get yer head down and get exams right , all ways there to fall back on and . What Marge said :up:

10. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

You've still got a bit of time left, don't stress and try to use your time wisely! If you have to retake a year its not the end of the world, especially when you're 17/18

ATB

John

11. Andy_J

Andy_J Replica Airgun Enthusiast

You can always join the Military and serve your country. ;)

12. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

I lost interest in school based learning sometime around 15. Nothing seemed relevant to anything I was interested in - my interests were at the time way off the normal grid. After failing half my GCSEs and then A'Levels I decided to take a year out. Best thing I did. Went through a few jobs and decided to go to college and learn things way off the school curriculum and then ended up in Uni and getting a 2:1.

Since then, all my jobs haven't involved my degree at all but you make your own way in the world. I've got some regrets (at 14 I wanted to work for the Forestry Commission - a bit of me still does!) but things balance out if you keep working hard at everything. Don't worry about your results if you screw up, there's time to build a career and make a huge success of yourself.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. yorkshireshoot

yorkshireshoot Posting Addict

Get a really good education at 6th form , go to uni and get a degree , get in debt , then struggle to find a job and end up in a call centre asking customers for their reference numbers , simples !

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I was the same as you - I discovered playing guitar and threw my A Level's down the tube. i just stopped caring, doing any work or respecting my teachers. Basically I thought that I was so bloody marvellous that I didn't need to work hard (can see the same thing with my own boy now, but that's another story). In the early summer of my A level year I fell in love with a girl and spent the nights I should have been revising carrying on with her, went to school exhausted and blew my exams. I'd been on course for three A's, and ended up with a C and two D's. When I sat one law paper I was so out of it that I looked at the paper, wrote my name on the front and then left the exam.... what a knob.

I did go to university, but my attitude there stank as well. Really it was three years (and lots of taxpayers' money) wasted, because I took nothing useful from it at all. I now work in a third-rate technical college teaching idiots who remind me so much of me at their age that it hurts. If I could have my time again....

Oh, and the girl turned out to be a waste of air and skin, too.... seven years later!

15. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Don't worry about it. Just do what you feel like doing and take it from there.

Personally I was always a "C- could do better" kind of chap when it came to report time. I left school with a handful of O levels in a mix of subjects and did an apprenticeship. OK I did reasonably well there but have always done what needed to be done to get the job done. No more. No less.

Whilst I'm no CEO or senior management whiz kid, I do OK. Over the years, in spite of the lack of a degree, I've had Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard and Yale graduates working for me, a "high school dropout" almost.

I do a lot of travelling doing what I do. As I type I'm in a 5 star hotel in Oslo having just devoured an rather nice bacon and cheese-topped burger and fries. I see folks around me talking business, sending emails, looking at MacBooks with graphs on. I see it all the time, in hotels, on aeroplanes, in airport lounges. Me, I've never done that. Work is what happens between 0900 and 1700. Working all .'s hours is, IMHO, not necessary. If anybody has to do that they're doing something wrong and perhaps it's time they looked for another job.

I firmly believe that each and every one of us will rise to the height we want to be at irrespective of our education level. If you're destined to be a whiz kid, you will be. If fate has flipping burgers as the extent of your progress through your career path, that's what you'll become.

16. PandaMan

PandaMan Busy Member

I'm going to start trying my very best. If at the end of my education it's not as good as I had hoped, at least I tried.
    I just know I will regret failing because I didn't try. It's so easy as a teenager to be arrogant and be absorbed in my own world but I keep hearing, over and over, tales of regret from my elders about their education.
    I only have to push on for a few months more, then I have a gap year before university.

Yeah, I'm liking the message that's coming across here :)
    Yet again this community has come through for me in its collective wisdom. :up:

p.s. I'm listening to "Que Sera, Sera" by Sly and the Family Stone at the moment. Sums it up perfectly :p

17. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    put the past behind you, as you can't change it now, so don't worry over it. give yourself a good kick up the arse and a knee on the goolies. when the tears have subsided, pick yourself up, and start again. knuckle down, get the best grades that you can, as when you do, they can't be taken away from you. yes, you've been a prat, but you can salvage it, if you work hard. you've done the hardest thing by admitting you've let yourself down, and that takes intelligence and courage, so you're half way there.
    good luck mate

18. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I'm a father of three; I always told my kids if they work hard in school they would leave with the education they need to find a job they love and kind of play for the rest of their lives. Or play in school and work hard in a job they dislike until they can better themselves. Without splitting hairs here, my son decides he knows better, took the Michael in school, started college and decided after 6 weeks it was not for him, so sat on the Xbox for a year (literally) sponging what he could. Now 3 years has gone by and now he wants a Company Directors job in Tokyo, go figure?

He now has to work harder, and we now have to pay for his education. What I'm saying really, is try and get on top of it, if a "C" is good enough to get you where you need to be, then ok, good for you, but you were an "A" class student you already know what you need to do... Really fella, good luck with it, at least you should have a pat on the back for realising what you need to do, saying that, there is always next year.

19. PandaMan

PandaMan Busy Member

Really feeling it now - 3 coursework deadlines for the end of this week...
    I'm working my arse off...

:eek:

20. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Get off the bloody internet then!