1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

It was just one of those nights...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Sep 13, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

OK, so I took Mick (the logun-ator) to one of my shoots last night to try and shake some cobwebs loose.

I took the FAC Rapid and the rimfire, and we were really going out to play with the Rapid, see what's what, and have banter and a smile or two.

So, after picking Mick up we are talking about shooting and he asks about the pellets I've brought. Turns out I walked straight past them on my way out, being absolutely sure I had half a dozen tins of AA Field, JSB Exact, Bisley Magnums etc in the car. Then I realised that, no, in fact, there weren't any pellets int he car (possibly a first for me since I passed my test 28 years ago) because I'd taken them all out when it was recently serviced :rolleyes:

No problem - we'll drive past the turn off for my shoot, pop to my place (only a mile away) and pick the pellets up.

Got home and my daughter is breaking her heart watching the animated film Up! where one of the characters becomes gravely ill and dies.

Spent a while consoling her (changed the channel as well) and left when she was feeling happier. Mum was just sat watching the film and crying with her...

Went back to the shoot, indicated to drive off the main road, only I turned into the side road leading to the in-laws house, about half a mile before the shoot. Mick said nothing and just sat looking at me, with that expression on his face :rolleyes:

Back out onto the main road and indicated to drive onto the shoot access road and locked gates of the grounds, and there's a couple with their car parked across the gateway, scoffing pizza. Could have been worse I suppose :rolleyes:

They moved, reluctantly, then in we went after locking the gate behind us.

Charged the Rapid, loaded a mag, and off Mick went to play.

The sheet of A4 I'd put out blew over on the first shot.

Went down and fixed it in place.

Bang !

No pellet hole on the paper - dust kicks up waaaaaayyyyyyy to the left.

Hmmm...

Bang !

No pellet hole on the paper - dust kicks up high.

Hmmmmmmm.....

This was repeated a couple of times and then Mick tried the moderator which was a little loose, and misaligned as a result.

No problem - except by now it was almost full dark, so out came my green T20, blinding the pair of us. Out came my head torch - same result. Out came the allen keys.

Let me explain that it's quite surreal on the grounds of an old country estate in the dark fumbling around with small components (in a manner of speaking) in the green glow of a T20 torch...

Much faffing and swearing later, and some more shots down with no better results, Mick asked where the pellets were.

"I'll go back to the car and get them"

Couldn't find them anywhere...

Went back cursing like a trooper, sat down in disgust on the damp grass, realised at that point that we were both sitting on reasonably fresh rabbit Censored (that probably just goes to show something :rolleyes: ) and when I was making myself comfortable I heard a rattle in my jacket pocket.

There's the pellets that we'd gone home to collect...

More happened but I'm sure you get the idea by now - it was the oddest experience and we'd have easily made runners up in the village idiot's competition.

On the flip side we had a lot of laughs at our own expense and it at least served purpose by cheering the pair of us up in a peculiar way.

We are considering writing the idiot's guide to how not to shoot...

:)

So, what have you lot managed to get wrong, or what has gone wrong when it should have gone right when you went out shooting ?

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I had a frustrating hunt last night too. Not a rabbit to be seen, and I spent ages stalking / squeaking a fox who refused to stay still enough for a shot. If I'd have been with a lamper it would have been okay but as I was on my own with the lamp mounted on the rifle I struggled to keep him lit and aim. In the end he got bored and went away, so I followed as best I could, thinking that perhaps I could find him again later. It wasn't to be; a single sheep can, it seems, make more noise and spread more panic than a herd of rampaging elephants. The bloody thing shadowed me for about 20 minutes, baa-ing, crashing around, running into fences and generally trying my patience.

I decided to try another area of the farm which meant a walk of about fifteen minutes, and I got there to find sheep in such huge concentrations that I genuinely wondered if I was seeing things; usually at this time of year they're still scattered over the farm, rather than being grouped together so tightly. Of course, two minutes after I arrived they were all running about as if pursued by a pack of timber wolves, and with them went my chance of any bunnies or foxes. Oh, and the herd of beef cows came to see what all the fuss was about, too.

Not to worry, sez I, I'll keep going... Until my phone rang. Normally I wouldn't bother to answer it but on this occasion I did as it was a friend who's been having a hard time recently and I thought he might need a friendly ear. He did, but was also terrifically drunk and incoherent.

I gave up in disgust and went home.

3. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Not sure whos made your silencer 177 but if missalinged check that if tne pellet What was clipping due to it been missalighned make sure nothing looks off center there very tight tolerances inside the carbon jobbies very tight which what makes them so effective have ugot some dowl you could push down to check everything is allghed still can think of 3 lads what make silencers like that and all make tne baffle holes only a thou or so bigger than the specific cal of the rapid its made for . Seen a few shot to pieces when lads have thought they can swapem between 177 to 22 guns or other cals ect ;)

Or dd u end up having a good night and end up zeroed ect by the end of the night atvb dave

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I once got to the top off a really steep grass field to be confronted with my worst nightmare, two black bulls just like those Spanish types all front end and curved sharp horns.

I was knackered and felt really vunarable, they both lifted their heads at the same time and after starring me out started to sheepishly trot towards me.

I had 40yrs to the nearest fence, it turned out to be a 6 ft high barbed wire fence, I chucked the gun over and started to climb this time the bulls were trotting to the point of running, I clambered up this fence, and got to the top wire wobbling like bambi on ice and very slowly started falling backwards, I leant forward with muscles I very rarely use, but the inevitable happened.

I fall backwards with the barbed wire catching on the skin on the backs of my thighs, and one barb dug in as I fell 180 degrees backwards it rolled into my skin impaling me upside down with one barb hold me up at this point I was starring two bulls in the face upside down.

I thought one was going to head butt me, and trying to get out of that situation had my heart beating I can tell you I had to pull myself upright to eventually prise the barbs out of my legs and skin ripping my trousers in the process , blood trickled down the backs off my legs alway back to the car and I fell in the doorway once home telling the mrs your not going to believe what happened, but as usual she didn't divert he eyes from corrie, :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  5. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

Cant count the number of times I've sat quietly in the garden with my rifle awaiting the rat to appear. Not being a very good shot I have to rest my left arm on a cushion to be accurate enough for a rat at 20M.
    2 days ago I thought I'd make a rest from some spare wood - once screwed together, placed on picnic table and tried it for position ....... thought better get the rifle to ensure it's at correct height.
    Sat with rifle, closed eyes, set up what I thought would be aimed at pellet trap, 20M away. Opens right eye - about 2" too low. As I adjust my stance and think YES ............ the ******* rat slowly walks into the cross hairs.
    TYPICAL - rifle not loaded and pellets upstairs :Cry::Cry::Cry:

6. jasonanderson

jasonanderson Engaging Member

Really don't like to laugh at others misfortune by my . that tickled me!!! Great story!

7. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

This reminds me of the time I took my friend out shooting with me, we had to walk through a field of sheep with a few beef cows in and I knew the beef cows weren't the most friendly at the best of times but in the darkness walked within a few metres without seeing them and startled them. I tried to carry on walking slowly hoping they wouldn't charge whilst my traitorous friend having the courage of a wiley bunny legged it, triggered them to charge and I ended up sprinting behind him hoping to overtake and save my own bacon :p
    Ended up making the fence as they came tearing after.