1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

It had to happen didnt it!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Aug 11, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

After a problematic day trying to get on a field that didn't already have someone on yesterday and a shuffle of fields after a tractor came on cutting the margins I decided to pack up and go home, too many people shooting is never good but in the 5 mins I had I shot a couple of woodies.

Anyway I decided to return In late afternoon with the airgun as the margins cut would make any rabbits more visable, so I drove onto the first field about 7:30 to notice a couple off rabbits in one corner, so a reposition of the car quickly got me on target and the first rabbit dropped at around 40yrds, it just didn't move at first and I thought I had missed but no the shot was good.[​IMG]

I then drove onto a large hill and had a brew from the flask its like the highest point of my permissions up there, [​IMG]

Anyway the valley below is a neighboring farm that is all grassland just over the hedge it drops down, and the hedgerows have a fair few bunnies this time of year, so I quiety stalked down the hill and rabbits bolted from the middle of the field to the edges, after a straight miss at a rabbit I started to scratch my head a bit then, the next rabbit was only 20 yrds and although I hit it square in the head it, wasn't clean and needed a backup shot,

So I took time out and decided to not shoot anything else that night, so I put some large stones up against a tree to shoot at about 30yrds, the guns power had gone and the poi was a milldot low, ummmm:(

So I went home and chronoed the gun it was obvious it was poorly and low on air, it was filled before I went out :confused:so I placed a balloon over the barrel and refilled the gun, it was leaking a small amount so I took out the main valve and cleaned the faces still not performing on the chrono, so Its off in the morrow to get the reg rebuilt and reset.

Hopefully it will be back to single figures and single holes by tomorrow afternoon, watch this space

2. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

That's why I prefer the Mk1...a few less shots due to the power curve thing, but with a 400cc bottle more shots than I will ever use on two outings!

Lovely clean bunny that one, and you had a nice evening too! That back of the wagon picture is a great set up. Nicely done all round.

3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Cheers mate, it is actually a late 2011 factory mk1,

Just with a reg fitted, I could of course return it to factory with a normal bottle holder instead of the reg if need be, still got a titanium main valve and springs carbon slip discs ect.

I used it as a mk1 for a season with great success shot lots with it, but went for the reg for the flatter curve and ultimate accuracy from the gun, as on a good day with a 280 bottle fitted I would see the curve through the poi, I was chasing zero all the time.

Reg only made sense as it nearly doubles the usable shots per charge, it hasn't missed a beat for a year and was doing around 180 shots from a 280cc bottle at 11.6ft/ibs, I don't know what it would do with a 400cc bottle but I did have one on for a while but prefer the handling from the 280 bottle, so sold the 400, can always get another if I want, just makes it a bit heavy that's all.

It will be sorted tomorrow with a new reg core, slightly different I thinks, Kevg this time,.;)

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

A nice read as usual mate!

And a nice healthy rabbit,

With limbs intact;)

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks stevie they are in real good fettle at the moment, and not a mixi seen around these parts all year.

6. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Generally do land owners mind you driving onto your permissions guys? My permission has dedicated tracks all round it and I have only driven around once and got the bloody van stuck in mud when it rained, I have a more suitable vehicle available in the coming weeks which I can shoot out of and won't get stuck so easily.

So long as you don't damage the land and close gates is it an issue generally?

7. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I don't do it often mate landowner doesn't like it, but my land is the same like dirt tracks always around it well used by the tractors like, can get boggy on some of the fields, I always shut gates and try to stay in the tractor ruts with my wheels so I don't leave witness tracks.

They are not to be driven on any other time of year but on the stubble it isn't hurting anything, just to get my hide equipment to my spot then I move the car well back out of view, a good field away, freelander 2 has been a great car and got me everywhere, but the only thing letting it down a bit is ground clearance.

I have driven the dirt tracks around the shoot in wet winter months and the gate holes are really rutted and filled with water, so I fitted general grabber AT2 tires and since it hasn't been stuck, only got it stuck stuck once with the original bridgestones but put a gate post under the front wheels to get it out.

I regret selling my shogun warrior though as it was a bit higher that's all, very good offroad, great car though I gave away really and it was like new:( bit that's story of my life[​IMG]
    It was a pleasure to drive, and I had it up in the lakes a lot when I could [​IMG]
    Im thinking of defender next but they don't make auto unless you get v8 or pay about 50k for a 2.2 tdci twisted jobbie.

Im thinking of just buying a cheaper defender for what I do to be honest but there are some nails around with rusted bulk heads and chassis, its a mine field so don't want to buy a problem, Ive always gone for newer motors with low milege myself like, I don't know much about defenders but I intend to find out,

Any advice would be more than welcome, I really don't want to buy a money pit.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

DO NOT BUY A DEFENDER.

Unless you like constantly having to fix trivial faults forever.

Why not just buy another Shogun? All the Japanese 4x4s are good and the Toyotas are best of all.

9. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Are they that bad mate?

I had 3 Mitsubishis L200s before the shogun and your right not one let me down, may get another but believe it or not the 2.2 in my freelander has loads more grunt than the 3.2 in the shogun, and a lot quicker, up to now touch wood its been fantastic.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  10. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Yes! The only good thing about them are the residual value. I think you are wrong about the transmissions on them, I'm sure you can get automatics. A friend of mine used to work on 4x4s, mostly land rovers. The Japanese motors only needed servicing but the Land Rovers had everything going wrong on them. They do have some advantages if you are towing.

Why don't you get another Shogun?

11. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I had an L200 Animal years ago and a really crap 15 year old Shogun recently. Both were superbly reliable, the L200 had a 2.5 turbo diesel and the Shogun had a 3.0 V6 petrol both were thirsty. My dad had a Toyota Hilux from new and did 147k miles in it, needed one clutch and that's it. It was much better on fuel than the L200. He now has a 3.0 turbo diesel landcruiser, it is faultless and I mean faultless.

If you stick with Land Rover sooner or later you will get your fingers burned.

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

It was thirsty mate, and I know I probably wouldn't get another half as good as what I sold for the money, it only had 30k miles on it.

Compared to most other modern motors the old Mitsubishi 3.2 is old technology and is sluggish in comparison, plus the auto on the landrover knocks spots off it.

In fact I had the newer shape l200 animal before that with the factory ralliart chip on, and it had more grunt than the shogun but the auto box wasn't 6 spd it was a 4 speed so not as advanced and motorway speeds were a bit revy but Im being a bit picky.

L200 was great for pigeons shooting though:D[​IMG]

13. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I drive all the time, until I think I'll be damaging crops, by then much of my shooting in the field is about finished.

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ill be honest the battery died on the l200 that was all mate some frost killed it, but it cost me a leg because that was the only day in 12 yrs I took the motorbike to work, so Im blaming that l200:D

I hear nothing but good stuff about Toyotas though mate, my mate had one and he only got rid because of the long daily commute, be bought that new ford ranger and when it was a few days old a woman ploughed into it and wrote it off:eek:

I do like the look of that new ranger it looks a nice big truck would suit what I do, just hate paying comertial insurance and VAT as Ive never been self employed to pay it back.

Freelander 2 is half what I paid on the l200 insurance wise, in fact the 3.2 warrior was a good £300 cheaper to insure.

Im not just saying this the Freelander although Im not sure about the image, has had the most offroad use of any car Ive had, Ive also done about 20k miles up to now and its been faultless quick and smooth, pretty frugal also.

So I may just trade my Audi in for a range and keep the freelander for shooting, Ive been on the owners website and some are well into the miles 150-180k and still towing caravans around Europe so I know if they are well serviced they are capable of high miles, this one hasn't done 50k yet.

The newer shoguns like 2013 onwards have 200bhp but its just the old 3.2 did with a chip on, slightly different map.

I have to not look at the twisted defenders as they really get me going, was going to phone them and ask if they could mate the 2.2tdci to an auto, but I know it would be silly money and I would be too scared to drive that down country lanes scratching it, and the new one comes out next year anyway;)

15. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

The Freelanders do drive nice I admit and the interior finish is very good. My L200 was manual and in 5th gear 70mph was doing nearly 3k revs. The HiLux at 70mph was only doing 2.5k revs.

It's up to you, I would avoid the defender. They look the part, like a Barbour coat or AGA oven but you still need a proper oven and another jacket if you own them, right?

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes mate, I sat in a bespoke defender at the last game fair and have to admit I could hardly get out of the seat, plus the seat didn't adjust enough for leg room, pretty basic for about 25 grand but nice solid looking beast.

I just cant understand the nails that some people are asking 10 grand for, Ive seen some dogs lately.

I just don't like cars that seem to need work more than they are driven, I would sooner buy a newer motor with all the mod cons and just drive the thing, if they upset me I sell them.

Well to be fair I sell them when I get bored often when there isn't anything wrong with them, that's why Ive learned my lessons the hard way so Im holding onto this for now, insurance is coming up soon so I see what they quote, its usually about £350 fully comp so its nothing really and that's with protected no claims!:D

17. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Toyota commercial vehicles and 4x4s all have two batteries. We used to run the vans for work. If a battery died it would still start on the other good battery, albeit sluggishly so you knew to change the batteries. Batteries were cheap compared to a lost work day.

Borrow a Defender for a couple of weeks to get it out your system. It will give you immunity against the virus!

18. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

BACK IN THE GAME!:D

Twas painless £25 fix, now the old girl is back like new:up:

[​IMG]

19. keithy

keithy Very Active

The defender is better than anything off road but thats its only good point, they rot were aluminium touches steel and give constant irratating faults plus they leak when it rains. I have had a toyota Hilux surf for the last 11 years with NO problems currently 180K and still tops 30 mpg (just) on a long run. get a toyota or shogun for garaunteed reliability, The latest Land rover discoverys are lovely cars to drive but still have in built faults which still have not been fixed, gearbox, clutches and injector problems according to my local MOT garage.:rolleyes:

20. scottroutledge

scottroutledge Engaging Member

Defenders are far too easy to steal and are a main target for car thieves . Personally I would stay well away from a defender.
    Scott