1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Is PCP an infectious disease?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Dag, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Yes folks, I'm afraid that I might be going down with it!
    A year ago I bought my first rifle, a .177 Meteor Mk7; within a couple of months I had my second rifle this time a TX200HC and thought that would be the final purchase. No way was I going down the PCP route but gradually I think I am succumbing to the almost silent report that my fellow club members' rifles make.
    The more Mrs Dag notices the sound that accompanies another squirrel departing or a bit of garden plinking the more I think a PCP might not be far off. Which one though?
    At the moment I think I'll probably stick with Air Arms and look for a decent second hand 400 or 410, although it is all the extras like bottles and recharging that deters me.
    However, if I do give in I think the final hurdle is going to be the choice between the single shot 400 against the magazine of a 410. Apart from the convenience of a magazine are there any other factors I need to consider between these two rifles?
    Dag

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Join a Club - most offer Air Gun Filling ;)

BOB/R

3. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

An excellent point Bob, you missed my first line comment where I mentioned I do belong to a club. I think they do have a cylinder so that will do nicely. Many thanks....I'm one step nearer!;)
    Dag

4. themadspread

themadspread Donator

the only thing i would add is dont buy one to cheap simply because when you start shooting it your shooting will improve by miles.you will then think to yourself i wish id have bought a better one and then you will spend even more on a betterone the 400 or 410 is a good gun and if you only target shoot the single shot is perfectly ok

5. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

As has been said if you only plan shooting targets then the 400 will be fine mate. However if shooting live quarry then a quick follow up shot is unfortunately needed to effect a quick kill so the 410 would be better for this.
    Try before you buy. You also need to choose between carbine and rifle length but its each to their own mate

Good luck in your search and let us know which one go for

6. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

You wait until the indecision starts !...

Shall I take the springer or the pcp today, springer Uhhhmm nah pcp "hang on" nah I'll take the pcp or should I take the springer for a change, dammit !!!...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  7. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

If you buy a 410, you can always use a single shot tray at the range......best of both and cheaper than doing it the other way round with a Rowan magazine convert for the 400, which you have to turn by hand anyway.

8. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Like you, I have a TX, and said I would never go down the PCP path, with all that charging stuff, well guess what, "I did". I was going to stick with AA, and had a go with a 410, but did not get on with it, had a go with a HW 100, wow but out of my price range, then had a go with a BSA Ultra SE, I now have a Ultra and pump and an air tank, bloody expensive boys toys. But would never sell the TX, it will just get used a little less often. All I can say is try as many guns as you can, before you part with your cash. Hope you find one you like. Atb, Bob. PS. There is no known cure. for this infection. I am now thinking about having the ultra regulated, this infection gets worse by the day.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  9. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

A pcp is what all spring airgun tuners have been striving to achieve in my opinion.

10. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Early days yet with my PCP, but a decent springer, in good hands, have one big advantage, a self contained power source, cock it load it bang, but do like the Ultra, so far. Atb, Bob.

11. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I think I am going to have to add the Ultra to my "look at" list.
    Thanks Bob
    Dag
    ps Your earlier post has made me consider whether I need a regulated rifle or not.........more dosh no doubt!

12. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

As I don't do HFT or FT, I don't require it regulated, as it gives more than enough full power shots for a few rabbits, But what the hell, may have it done anyway. After trying several different scope and moderator combinations, ended up nicking the scope off the TX, settled on a SAK rimfire moderator on the Ultra, now has a nice balance, and it is so accurate with AA field, Bisley magnums are OK for a bit of extra punch, as they come out at an average of 11.3 foot pounds. After a tin of pellets, it has settled down at just under 11 foot pounds average, with the AA fields. Now had to re zero the TX with a BSA scope on it. As I said , it is early days with the Ultra, But so far I am impressed with it. Atb, Bob. PS. Another thing I like about the Ultra, is the mag doe's not stick up out of the action, so the scope can be mounted as low as possible.

13. David M

David M Donator

I got a fair deal on a full secondhand package consisting of a .177 thumbhole stocked s400 carbine, case, Hawke Nite-Eye scope, sling, bipod, 3 litre 300 bar bottle, 2 tins of pellets, a camo suit and silencer for £420. I thought that fair and didn't try my luck at fleesing the lad. It's been everything I'd ever hoped, I haven't really missed a magazine as I shoot rabbits and birds out to a max of about 35-40 yards with a very high first shot kill rate from sticks etc. I may eat my words if a rat assignment comes off though.. I would recommend a carbine if you shoot from hides or confined spaces and the thumbhole stock fits me like a glove, so it's worth shouldering one. A little tinkering with the AA silencer internals and it's as quiet as a mouse, plus single loading in the dark has became second nature very quickly.

I used a cheap secondhand tuned .22 B20 springer to good effect for a few years and thought that was all I'd ever need until I got the s400. Sadly, I have to remember to have a go with the springer now and again nowadays to keep my springer technique, still enjoy shooting it though and had a great day Magpie culling earlier in the year...:up:

14. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I love my Regged ultra, more consistsnt from shot to shot.

and does 11.3 from 250bar down to about 90bar.

15. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Looks like you got a bargain there. Nice to see you still go to sleep with your Teddy. :D Atb, Bob.

16. Tan

Tan Donator

I have a 410 and a 400. The 410 is in .22 and the 400 in .177. Apart from the magazine, both are exactly the same -- very, very good. The HW100s are superb, but there's also a price to pay.

The magazine would be handy when in the field, but I don't hunt. It's a pain in the arse though when doing HFT.

Lots of bargains to be had, so don't rush. And always, always try and do a deal face-to-face if you can.

T.

17. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

See if someone will let you have a go with theirs. That what I did. I had held out for years then had a go with an r10 at my local club. I now have an r10 and a huntsman regal. On the look out for a nice Theoben rammer or perhaps a hw80

18. David M

David M Donator

Girlie will insist it goes back central between the pillows each morning to make the bed look 'made'......:rolleyes:

Well chuffed with the s400.......:up:

19. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Decision made! It's going to be the Air Arms S400 .177 with beech stock. Took all the advice given and visited RFD on Saturday hefted a few rifles and tried some out and feel really comfortable with the 400.
    Had some good advice from Pipeman re choice between 400 and 410, his suggestion was to get the cheaper 400 and when I can afford it buy a Rowan magazine for multishot loading.....if I think I need it.
    So the order goes in this week, my Meteor Mk 7 is going in PX and I just need to decide whether I let My HW45 go to buy a cylinder or, dare I say, a pump. In the meantime I think I can fill it each week at the club.
    One item that will not be going is my TX200HC, I just love it!
    Dag

20. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, as another forum members was asking the same question the S400 is a classic well made PCP at £400 new, the S410 same having found mine faultless in its loading and cocking system and very accurate once zeroed, you just need decide .177 or .22 but i think .177 the norm for HFT ? you can get a self indexing mag for the S400, and yes you would need the filling system eg pump/bottle.