1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Is My Gamo IGT At Proper Power?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Generation England, May 15, 2015.

1. Generation England

Generation England Member

Hello everyone.

OK. So, I have the Gamo Whisper IGT .22.

I've been target shooting with it for a few weeks, and testing its power etc. But I'm worried it may be underpowered. I know I should get a chrono to see if its at 12ft Lbs or thereabouts, but I can't afford one for a while.

But anyway: I've basically been using an Argos catalogue and seeing how many pages it shoots through. And on average it shoots through 390 pages, from 5 metres, with 15 Grain pointed Gamo Energy pellets. Does that sound about right to you?

I'm worried because I've seen a few vids where people are shooting through pieces of wood with sub-12ft Lbers, and I don't think mine could (though I've not tried it). I did shoot through single tins of beans, though :cool:

But yeah: Any advice and Pro Tips really appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

An argos catalogue won't tell you Jack Schitt.

Get it through a proper chrono otherwise you are doing a pointless exercise.

3. Generation England

Does it sound about right, though, bro?

I'm going to get a chrono as soon as I'm able, but I really, really want to get a rough idea.

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

See my previous point. It will mean nothing. There are all sorts of factors such as thickness of the pages, shape of the pellet, distance from the target etc, and there is absolutely NO scientific calculation for giving you a power output by shooting a catalogue. They make great backstops though.

See if your local gunshop is willing to put it through their chrono for you until you can buy your own.

5. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

I think you should be more concerned if its overpowered at this stage ~ take it ASAP to your local RFD and get it checked properly, then you can do all the tests you like with targets or otherwise.

All it takes is for a neighbour to call the police ~ if your rifle is doing more than the legal limit, you would be in serious trouble..

6. Critanime

Critanime Donator

I would take it to a local gun shop or even find a target range willing to give it a proper chrono. As Shoto1 has stated it is far too easy for a springer to start creeping over the legal limit, and the old bill will not care at that point what powers it or what you claim it should be when you purchased it. They will have you for it. Shooting into a Argos catalogue is not going to give you any scientific facts. My HW90 will probably shoot H & N Field Trophies through just as many pages at the same distance but have a completely different power level. Get it chrono'd.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  7. Generation England

I'm ultra-careful and safe with it, bro.

I'm 90% sure its not overpowered.

Just to add: When I say it shoots through 390 pages, I don't mean I shot it into a full catalogue. It was a 390 page-thick section that I'd torn from the original. I then stood this in front of my metal stopper, and shot it from the bottom of the stairs to the top of the stairs.

I just have feeling its underpowered, and its irritating me like bloody hell.

8. Generation England

Its a Gas Ram, bro.

Thing is, it was checked when I bought it. Or at least, it was apparently.

9. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

When you're dealing with the law, '90% sure' ain't good enough ~ I strongly advise you to quit with your 'tests', pack your rifle somewhere safe and take yourself off at the earliest opportunity to your local RFD and get it tested.

Pehaps you can post back in a couple of days to tell us all how you got on :up:

10. Generation England

Sigh. Yes, I suppose you're right.

I'll take it in. Will report back with results.

(I still think its underpowered).

11. Critanime

Critanime Donator

I know what you are saying. But my HW90 can be considered "under powered" depending what pellet I put through her. The only way to get a true figure is to get a chronograph done with the pellets you usually use. The issue with what you are doing is as the pellets impacts with the paper it compresses them together. Making it more difficult for the pellet to penetrate and you lose a lot a kinetic force as it is bled into the surrounding area. so not only do you not know how much power the rifle is producing as the pellet is released but you also have no way of knowing how much energy is been lost at impact.

As a example I fired some 14.66gr pellets through my rifle and it came out as averaging around 9.5ft. lb. The I tried some lighter pellets and it increased to a average of around 11ft. lb.

12. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I would dump those energy pointy things,

and try some good old domes instead, accuracy over power every time;)

13. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Posting Addict

Shoto1 - You can take a horse to water but.......
    Peter

14. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Some neighbours can be a bit like this ~ (London in particular :cool:) :D
    http://youtu.be/BR3B8-DsXL8

15. Generation England

Yeah. I don't like the pointed Gamo Energy either, to be honest, bro.

All the domes I've tried do definitely shoot better. I especially like smooth ones.

16. Generation England

I see. Interesting, mate.

I'm still surprised you got more ft lbs with the light pellets, though.

PS, Nice rifle.

17. Generation England

I bet London is terrible for trying to get some privacy for a plinking session.

18. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

I've a big garden with a very quiet sound moderator, ~ so no worries if I were to do a bit of plinking.

19. Critanime

Critanime Donator

Thanks ;) yours is a nice rifle too.

I am not 100% on the physics (so anyone who can correct and fill in the gaps please do so. I am still new) but this is my understanding. With spring rifles, and our gas ram rifles still fall under that category (replace a steel spring with a gas spring), the way it releases the air is in a sharp burst. So with a lighter pellet it is able to accelerate the pellet to its max velocity much easier with less wasted energy. Where heavier pellets need more energy and as such don't get to their max velocity as easily and waste energy in the process. In 22 calibre this is apparently less noticeable than in 177. But don't quote me on that because I have not shot a 177 so can't compare.

All I know is I have tested with a lot of pellets and mine is under the legal limit. So I am not worried if the old bill decide to test it.

20. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Busy Member

Always amazes me that we get so many more threads with new members in particular showing great concern over the possibility that their gun may be underpowered which is of little concern rather than being worried that they may be over the limit which is really important. If it can go through nearly 400 pages of a catalogue then it is certainly powerful enough until it can be tested properly.