1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Introduction to high pressure hand pumps.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

[video=youtube_share;g0Xoy7gJoD8]http://youtu.be/g0Xoy7gJoD8[/video]

2. StayingProne

StayingProne Posting Addict

Thats just saved me a few posts when i go PCP.

Cheers :up:

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

If using a pump, make sure you get one with a dry air pack, or you will be pumping your cylinder/bottle with water as well as air. When air is compressed the water vapour within in it condensed out - inside your rifles reservoir. From there it gets flushed through all your fine valve work......fancy buying a new rifle and running it under the tap? No, I wouldn't either.

Get a pump with a dry air pack fitted. It is MUCH cheaper in the long run.

4. lancealot1969

lancealot1969 Engaging Member

I agree with Accuspell, I have a Hills BSA pump the Yellow one and it has a dry pack, I only pump my Daystate X2 up in the house too bloody knackering though if you have to pump from empty though!!!!

5. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

I nearly rubbed the excess grease off the shaft of my FX3 stage pump the other day thinking it would be beneficial, pleased I didn't now, great video. Are dry packs totally necessary because my pump has a built in moisture trap (not dry pack) and when bleeding the valve any water present would come out anyway, you also you have to replace the dry packs periodically and are not cheap. I only fill up in the house which isn't in a damp environment so which is best moisture trap or dry pack.

6. PandaMan

PandaMan Busy Member

seen it before. Very useful, however I do find him rather patronising.
    :)

7. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

DRY PACK....they are not expensive at about £6 a refill.

A new cylinder, valves and springs are much more expensive because you have filled your rifle with an eggcupful of water every time you pump it up without a dry pack!

Even in the house the RH (Relative Humidity...look it up) is about 20% on a dry day. That makes the air almost 1 part in 5 water!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

I thought water gets caught in the moisture trap because it precipitates out of air under pressure then after pumping the bleed valve gets rid of the water. Surely these pumps wouldn't be sold if they were so destructive towards gun cylinders.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

There is nothing in the literature or on the pump to say it DOESN'T introduce water to the reservoir (of whatever type, bottle or tube) On the Hills dry pack it does say that it removes water vapour down to the old breathing air standard of 80ppm (parts per million).

The pump does what it says it will do - it will pump air in to a pressure of around 200 bar. The natural science behind doing that is that any water vapour in the air is condensed out under pressure, the higher the pressure the harder the water is squeezed out and the drier the air has to be to start with. Taking some of the moisture out under pressure is simply not enough. The Hills dry pack dries the AMBIENT air, reducing the RH of the low pressure input air, not taking it out under pressure.

Go into any airgun repairer (A&M Custom Gunsmiths, The Airgun Doctor or any other independent WHO DOESN'T SELL AIR RIFLES) and ask them about internal corrosion due to damp air being used. Then make your judgement. I saw the aluminium cylinder of a Steyr target pistol, one of Olympic hopefuls, that was only 6 months old. It had been filled using a standard pump. The cylinder had to be replaced as the corrossion had already pitted the wall of the reservoir, but more than that, it had pitted some of the valving parts too, affecting the flow of air and making it inconsistent (in competition terms).

The same reason is why the PCP makers are now saying that the reservoir needs to be checked after 5 years service. People simply do not understand the simple science behind Boyles law and Relative Humidity - go and find out about it and realise why you need to have breathing quality air to ensure the longevity of your rifles internals. In the UK we have a maritime climate, so our air is NEVER dry, it is closer to 40% RH each day, and if it is a cloudy day (how many of those do we get?!!!) it will be higher. We OFTEN have 75% RH and a low dew point the other factor surrounding the amount of water vapour that will get into your rifle - higher the temperature the higher the dew point, but we haven't many high temperature days this year either.....the dew point is a combunation of RH and temperature. Warmer air can carry more water vapour, but as it cools, or gets compressed, that water vapour can no longer be contained and it condenses out. The driest air would be on a clear, crisp, winter day, because at -3C with clear skies (no clouds) the air cannot contain much water vapour. On a day like today with showers around, the RH is about 80% (that is 800,000 ppm) and the temperature is not that high either (15C maybe?) so the amount of water vapour carried is high and it will drop out very easily due to the already low temperature......which is why it might rain! Fill your rifle with air from a standard pump today and you will be introducing plenty of water!

The pumps are sold as being able to supply high pressure air. There is nothing wrong in that statement. Where on the standard pump does it say it provides high pressure air without water vapour in it? Of course they can sell a pump like that - it isn't them that is filling your rifle, you choose to do that. This is why HILLs have gone to such lengths to develop their dry air pack and even that doesn't take out all the moisture, but it does a damn good job and is OK up to 180 bar or so, but not as good as divers air (TRUE divers air, not just from a compressor because if the filling point doesn't bother changing their humidity filter on the compressor, you might as well use the pump). Dive shops have to provide DRY air for breathing and any one that doesn't will drown their customers due to the water vapour contained in compressed air that is not dried.

10. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

Thanks for the advice I didn't realise just how much water was present in air, I think eventually I will get a dive bottle for peace of mind.

11. lnevett

lnevett Member

Page 2, Introduction, on the FX pumps manual, and I quote "Both are equipped with a exceptional two stage filtration system that ensures that both moisture and particles are eliminated from compresed air."

If I trust them enough to buy a rifle from them, I should trust on what the say on the manual...

Just my opinion.

12. splat

splat Donator

Minor point ( just for info)....water is virtually incompressable . Iirc something like 0.000000136% or there abouts. So any quantity of water in a pressure vessel reduces its capacity by the percentage of water to the stated cylinder size (WC ). IE you get less shots per fill.

13. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

There are so many conflicting opinions on how good or bad these pumps with moisture traps are at removing water from compressed air, I've heard that dry packs aren't much good either and I'm starting to wonder if its just scare mongering or misinformation. I have the FX3-stage pump and was told they have glass balls which traps the water when it condenses, maybe some pumps are worse at removing water and gets them all a bad name but FX pumps have a good reputation and I've not seen anything bad written about them. It would be interesting to hear from people who have owned stirrup pumps for a few years and to get their prospective on this matter.

14. splat

splat Donator

Last proper compressors I used (and serviced) had condensate dump valves....after a run on reaching cut off pressure they dumped to atmosphere. The filters were only particle,compressor oil and unwanted gases.( breathing quality air)