1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Interim PCP

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Cymru-Dave, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

I don't own a PCP but I keep having a go with a friends AA S400 and I love it, great little rifle and after some research it's quite affordable compared to others, I'll admit I'm a bit of a Weihrauch fan and I have longed for a HW100, I like the side lever, build quality and looks (believe it or not) etc but there is something about the bolt on the 400 the looks and simplicity of it I also really like. I must also controversially say that whilst I really do appreciate PCP's as a tool I don't find them as enjoyable to shoot as springers, however this doesn't stop me wanting one for the range and mainly target shooting, so I'm thinking that since I don't have a permission to really "keep pests down" I don't need a full on tool like the HW100 or the S410/510 or equivalent, I also find the single shot quite relaxing to use and I've felt I get better results due to this.
    So anyway after rattling away my question is do you think I'm making a mistake going for the 400? I know there's a hw101 but it's too similar to what I already have in the cabinet (springer) and it's my attempt at not being so singleminded brand wise, or should I go for a ten shot?
    and...
    If the 400 is a good idea should I go carbine or standard barrel? pro and cons for each.
    I'm looking at the hunter green in .177.

If I get a 400 and enjoy it and I get a permission with lots of vermin I'll upgrade at a later date if I find the single shot limits me, but I'm sure it will still do a grand job and an upgrade probably isn't required.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. larryking28

larryking28 Busy Member

If you get a S400 get a carbine,the classic full lenght ends up being quite long by the time you put a silencer on it.
    The hunter green attracts a higher price cause of the green ambi stock,personally stick with the basic beech unless you can find the hunter for the same money.
    HW101 is a great gun :)

3. richardscar

richardscar Donator

If you like the side leaver Dave how about a hatsan at44 ? some people rave about them ? http://www.guns.gb.com/contents/en-uk/p4780_Hatsan_Arms_AT44X-10_air_rifle.html
    a lot cheaper than a hw100 ...btw I have a hw100 but I always take my r10 out with me ... it's weird I like it but never use it ? however, I can't bring myself to sell it as I love hw's
    if you bought a hw100 you would loose £300 as soon as you used it . Nearly the price of the hatsan . makes me think ?

4. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Hi,

I bought an S400 classic as I wanted to add a .177 to the collection and to use more for target shooting. Get a decent second hand one and you will sell it on for very little or no loss at all when you upgrade. The classic one is longer (obviously) but for target use this extra weight can add a little stability and the longer cylinder gives more shots in the sweet spot especially in the ladies callibre :). Carbine better for hunting possibly but I find that in the summer that I am using my classic S400 for hunting more and more as it is soooo accurate. In the winter with gloved hands it's more fiddly to load and eventually I may replace it with an S410 in .177. They are very easy to DIY maintain once A/T has 'fallen off' if that is your thing and plenty of both bling and functional upgrades available.

In short buy one. They are a good reliable workhorse and pretty much as accurate as anything else available. Good S/H ones are circa £300 If you don't get on with it sell it. You won't loose much, if any, money.

Mark

5. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Carbine shorter less shots
    Classic longer more shots in the sweet spot

For a days shooting at the range i feel the 177 classic single shot is the all rounder, the balance and wieght is fine why would you need a shorter gun for the range.

6. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

I don't mind paying a tad more for the hunter green, I'd like a walnut stock but then that does put the price up near the S410/HW100, so a bit like my hw98 the standard barrel would aid some stability by adding a bit of weight upfront and also give a few extra shots in the 'sweet spot'.
    As for the hatsan Rich I'll be honest I haven't really considered one purely because I know very little about them, the 400 just floats my boat a bit at the moment.

7. meerkat1

meerkat1 Keyboard Hero

i`ve had a S200 S400 S510 and now a HW100 personally i don`t think the air arms touch the HW it`s just so smooth it almost cocks itself , the only thing near the HW are the daystates .

8. richardscar

richardscar Donator

I must admit Dave , the 400's do look "classic" (my kinda style :)) I have shot one and it was sweet , but never owned one .

9. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

I had s410f superlite .22 and s510 superlite .177. Both good guns, not a patch on my vermi mk2 .22 or daystate airwolf .177 which i upgraded to.
    but aa still a decent gun. Atb

10. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

I agree it may not be up there with the airwolf but surely the price tag would play a part in that right?

11. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Hi Dave

The green stocked versions are the superlites and are ambidextrous and made of poplar wood to cut down weight. I would get a full length version to increase "good" shots, especially if used mostly down the range. I would not worry too much about single/multi shot in these, they are fairly rare unless you buy new, so that will have a bearing on which one you go for unless you have your heart set one way or another. Just do a search in the for sale section, you'll see what I mean, I've been looking for a 510 superlite without any luck.

James

12. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Thanks for that info, I think I will go for the full length, I'll probably buy new unless one crops up for sale on my doorstep as where I live it's 50miles just to get to the M4 before I start travelling somewhere to collect, I do like the hunter green however the walnut looks classy especially with the rosewood on the fore end. Is there much of a weight saving between super light and the walnut do you think?

13. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

my very first pcp was an s 400 classic, superlite,...absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle,...i just didnt get on with it,it was just ....too light, i like the weight i was used to springers too,...i did a trade for an s410 classic, different beastie altogether, and a very good pound for money gun, for the range, or for the fields, i dont think you can beat the value for money thing of the AA s4/5 range, especially for a decent s/h one ,have a go with a few, you could have a dabble with mine if you were closer, walnut and poplar are different timbers, but both lighter than beech imo,...and a rosewood forend(snigger)..........sorry...are easy to do if you can get the rosewood,...i,ve made shopfronts out of the stuff,....

14. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Ha ha I should have kept the liking of the rosewood fore end to myself then :)
    They certainly are light compared to my HW's! And thanks for the offer of trying yours... My location is poor for such things stuck all the way over here.

15. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I think it's about 1lb, but you can feel it. I'm actually thinking of the superlite for my son, as I prefer something a bit heavier, and the standard 510 is fine, it's just with you looking at the green stock that would have you buying the superlite version of the 400/410/510. The other big difference is the way it cocks, the 400 series is a bolt, the 510 a lever.

James

16. David M

David M Donator

I can't ever see me getting rid of my .177 s400 carbine, it's getting me great results in the field every time, I never tire of it's accuracy. I have the thumbhole beech stock version and glad it came up secondhand and I got to shoulder one before getting the standard sporter. It fits me like a glove. I shoot day and night and the single loading isn't a problem at all, even in the dark. My fingers just orientate the pellet the right way round and lay it into the slot within seconds of leaving my pocket. For hunting, the gun is sooo accurate that being a single shot very rarely becomes an issue. I stay within reasonable distance from my zero (hardly ever take a shot over 35 yards with a 30 yard zero), avoid overly windy days and with careful aim have a very high first shot kill rate....:up:

17. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

It personal, that's what I've learnt, used to do alot of which gun should I buy, and I've ended with a load of rifles I didnt like, price doesn't effect how "good" a rifle is IMO

18. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

All down to preference, i personally don't see the point in buying a single shot PCP? that's just me though.

As for the Air Wolf being a lot better, it should be considering the price, i own and have shot top end Daystates for years, sure they're nice guns, but they don't do anything more than my cheaper guns, they just do it differently.

My advice is get whatever you feel comfortable with and can afford but, i would honestly go for a multi shot ;)

19. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

I bought a thumbhole stock S400 and used it for 3 years, hunting and HFT.
    If you need multishot for hunting, buy the Rowan Engineering multishot conversion kit. It is manually indexed and works extremely well.
    As an all round piece of kit you won't go wrong - although I would buy one without anti tamper.

20. 177

177 Donator

If a single shot comes up at the right price then buy it if you like it.

On the one hand a multi-shot offers more options while, on the other, you are forced into concentrating far more with a single shot.

Every make and model has its fans and every gun has merits and shortfalls.

Personally I prefer the S200 over the S400.

That perfectly illustrates how preferences vary and individuals gravitate towards one thing over another.

Have fun with whatever you get :)