1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Artical in Gardian today.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jolo-bolo, Jan 30, 2015.

1. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

2. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

What are you doing reading The Gaurdian - and especially Monbiot. He even takes pops at fishing.

3. Daddy Dale

Daddy Dale Donator

Can't believe I just read that, what a bunch of Ill considered nonsense. Why do you think we got rid of the swarms of pinnies in the first place?

4. 177

177 Donator

How very twee...

In our arrogance we deem it justified to attempt the extermination of a species we ourselves introduced.

We also choose to ignore the very obvious point of what happens to the predator population when the primary food source has been 'successfully eradicated' (population plummets due to lack of food or predator turns on other species - Pine Martens love eggs for example...).

These articles always irritate me because they adopt the attitude that 'the rest of us' are somehow unable to see what's right in front of our faces, that the 'obvious' solution is cost free (it isn't, by a very long shot) and therefore ideal in every respect (refer back to the previous point about predator populations directly linked to available prey species) and that the author's triumphant remarks somehow contrive to spin the web of readership perfection, presenting us with a considered and solid, workable solution :rolleyes:

pffffff...

All predator populations peak relative to prey - so not only are we happy to condemn an entire species for simply doing what they do, we are also happy to condemn large numbers of another one once its usefulness in providing the 'ideal' solution to grey squirrels has been realised, or accept that they will be illegally culled to protect other species of commercial interest.

IMVHO the reason solutions have failed to date is general lack of cohesion and cooperation.

Example:

One of my landowners asks me to hammer the grey squirrels. The neighbouring estate won't hear of it. Create a vacuum in one location and (arguably) have a greater overall population to contend with - mortality rates will reduce in litters from the neighbouring estate due to greater availability of territory and resources next door, which they will happily migrate into.

Did I miss anything ?

I don't pretend to have the answers but I think I have a relatively solid understanding of the problem.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

rabbits were brought here by the romans...grey squirrels by the victorians...

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

But Monbiot and his followers don't see the countryside as a business centre, they see it only as a pleasure garden and therefore it doesn't have to earn its keep in their ideal world......they point jibes at the 'landed gentry' (most of whom are either foreign investors or investment firms, or their owners) and suggest the country folk should simply 'manage the countryside' for a stewardship payment and remain second class citizens on minimum wage and with minimal services, while they sit in their luxury penthouse apartments and visit the countryside to escape their utopian, concrete jungle :mad:

Now, I can see how pine martens could be used to HELP, but not replace, human intervention. What he fails to mention is the land in Ireland that he speaks is vast swathes of peat bog intertwined with forestry or woodland. Very little of it is highly productive land or that rich in game - you don't see many pheasants on your wanders in Ireland, whereas over here they are everywhere. You do also see a tremendous number of corvids in Ireland though, it is a predators paradise !

7. Strathrpc

Strathrpc Posting Addict

Strathpeffer, Highlands, god's own Country
  8. portugueezza

portugueezza Well-Known Member

I really dislike the argument of controlling populations "naturally" by introducing predators. It is sold as a natural way, natural balance, etc, but the truth is that is no less artificial than the introduction of the invasive species in the first place.

There is a bigger philosophical argument about the reason for existence of a variety of populations, probably easy to defend the good principles - scientifically -, but my point is about welfare.

One thing that is forgotten by well intended people who know very little about Nature other than what they saw on TV, with Mr Badger making a cup of tea for Mr Mole. They forget that is Nature is bloody cruel!

Prey suffer horrible death at the claw and fang of the predator. Painful...so nevermind animal welfare. On the other hand, instant death is a "gruesome thing, hunters are cruel".

9. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

no it's all about grammar nazis trying to take the urine out of dyslexic people. Who are on morphine and do their best to stay focused and pass on interesting articals to debate on. If my way of writing offend your superia sensibilities please press the ignore button for me then you won't have to ever see my bad spelling and grammar again. (Please insert a sarcastic smiley face where you want it put).

10. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

HEY, quit with those negative vibes man!

11. Fettlingmike

Fettlingmike Donator

Loving this thread!! Some really interesting info in there actually. But that said it always seems to be that it never boils down to sorting the problem, just a variety of selfish people pushing their own agenda. Surely everyone involved..hunters, land owners, gamekeepers and the Eco warriors have all got good points to make and useful input, but instead waste their energy verbally bashing the "opposition"?!?!?! Just saying :D

12. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

This is a airgun forum, not a Spelling Bee competition, have you anything positive to add to this thread ?

13. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

They may as well start introducing minks all over the place!!! too many do Gooders in my opinion!!!!!

14. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Well i found the article very interesting and well worth a read :up: Kev considering the the financial costs to your ropes course the greys cause by chewing up equipment im not surprised you look at every article on there control . Thanks for posting

15. warrenater

warrenater Donator

Well that was an interesting article ! i just have to wonder why they think it is ok to re-introduce the pine martin after all he says their demise over here was due to the gamekeepers so i can not imagine they would be overjoyed to see them back ! and i have my suspicions they would be a lot more trouble than the greys are . at best just shifting the problem , mind you i don't have any answers . atb Gary.

16. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

so what happens when the pine martens have killed all the grey squirrels? they will start killing the reds, once they are gone then they will start on the bird population..as pine martens are well known for raiding birds nests

17. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

from personal experience il use Otters as an example . 10 years ago i used to trap a lot of mink . Iv caught 1 in the last 5 years . they where a common site . Otters are a relatively common now and have driven out the mink :up: Yes there have been some very stupid mistakes made such as idiots building holts close to commercial fisheries but on the whole a balance at least in my local area . One interesting fact i learned in Newzeland was that the introduced deer population became so out of control the government planned to introduce north american mountain lions in the 70s :eek: Only stopped at the last moment . would certainly have made my work in the mountains over there interesting !!!!!!

18. splat

splat Donator

Am I missing something here....grey squirrels are too big a problem to be controlled by us, but they can be controlled by pine martins ( which can be controlled by game keepers who succeeded in virtually eradicating them). surely if gamekeepers could manage it back then, it should still be maintainable now ???

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Exactly - especially with the financial incentive to do so. A few shillings in the pocket tends to focus the attention, after all, it has even got Glaswegian mums-to-be to stop smoking.:D