1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

How to Inactivity Timer Setting

Discussion in 'Forum software help' started by DaveC_24, May 9, 2012.

1. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Hi all,

I seem to have a setting which logs me out after around 5 minutes or so of inactivity, i.e. I can log on and be reading a thread or other page, or go and make a cuppa or something, and I'm logged off when I come back. I've had a quick look at the settings but can't see anything about this; is there a way to set the time limit to a bit longer before auto-logout so I'm not perpetually logging in to the forum?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this one's been covered before!

2. hounded

hounded Honorary Member

When you sign in do you tick the check box keep me logged in ?

3. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

I've got a "remember me" box, but unless I'm being blind (which is quite possible), there's no "keep me logged in" box. Could it be dependent on browser or something?

4. hounded

hounded Honorary Member

It's right by were you type your name and password in ( remember me same thing ) :)

5. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Yes, it says "remember me"

6. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Thanks guys, will give that a try! :)

7. ithica -john

ithica -john Post Whore

surely ''remember me'' is for the NEXT time you load the forum - it remembers your username/password via a cookie and logs you in automatically

mine logs out after 5-10 minutes inactivity....bloody frustrating..:mad:

8. tom simkins

tom simkins Busy Member

its not this site that logs you off its windows,, i look at something on here and dont touch owt when its on,,sometimes i forget to touch the mouse and it logs me off auto.. its from the old days of windows 95,,,and i forgot how to turn it off now :(

9. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

And it should log you back in when ever you click on something on the forum, as it works just like you said above.

10. tom simkins

tom simkins Busy Member

i just seem to remember its windows settings ,,

11. ithica -john

ithica -john Post Whore

not quite...... but just solved as we speak....:)

whenever i got timed 'out', i had to re-enter my username [password remembered by PC]... yes wee box checked every time to no avail

BUT just found the cookie for this site was set to ''Allow for session'' in the Tools Options Exceptions..... [ look for www. etc

reset to ''Allow'' and now it remembers me..........................:up:

obvious really ....but posted in case there are other PC numpties like me

12. ithica -john

ithica -john Post Whore

this is the only site where i get timed out...............apart from my Bank which is a security setting

13. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

Ticking the box seems to have solved the problem for me; it now leaves me logged in and I haven't had to log back on after coming back from dinner. I did originally think the "remember me" box was there to remember your details but not to keep you logged in, though ticking it seems to have sorted the auto-logout too. :)

14. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I thought it was an ex coming back to say hello & was quite disaponted when she didn't show ..... :D ............. :coffee: