1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I'm Really Confused About Scopes Etc

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by altair, Aug 16, 2019 at 7:06 AM.

1. altair

altair Member

Need some advice from those in the know please?
    Bought a new 2250B, waiting on a steel breech, and have a 22 inch barrel. Not going to modify it power wise.

I bought this for rat shooting, and the MAXIMUM distance I will be shooting it is around 15 metres, mostly less than that.
    Some evening shooting (still a bit light) and night shooting as well with a red torch/lamp.

I'm really confused about scopes..I know it's only 10 metres or so, but a rats head is small, hence the scope.
    Should I go for a low "fixed power" say 2x something, or a 3-9x40? I do have a 3-9x40AO Nikko on my air rifle, but people are saying it won't work under 10 metres?

I would try a holographic sight as that seems simple, but can't see that working at night?
    Or a red dot scope?
    Or a red laser?

Tried the peephole sights on gun, that sort of "blocks" my vision in my opinion, covers a bigger area than a Rat if you get my drift?

I know each has it's pros and cons..but I'm guessing the scope is going to be best for night shooting..then this "parallax" thing comes in which confuses me even more.

It's on a farm, and a max of 15 metres. What would you guys use on a Ratcatcher? Bearing in mind this is a fun thing for me so not looking at spending a lot, I'm hoping a cheapish chinese scope will do the job.

What have you guys used for these short ranges with success?

Thanks all, appreciate your thoughts.

2. rich79

rich79 Donator

First scope that springs to mind is the utg bugbuster, that goes down to something stupid like 5yds, but of course it depends on how much you want to spend.

SlyM1ke and Blue BSA like this.
  3. binxkeys

binxkeys Engaging Member

I would have thought the 3-9 would be fine at 10m on the lower mags which is where you would spend most of your time.

4. The burpster

The burpster Engaging Member

Vortex Spitfire 3x is ideal (not cheap) parallax free 3x mag illuminated simple reticle and Uber reliable. It’s what I have on my SIG 522 for practical rifle.

5. robs5230

robs5230 леший

Go for something simple scope wise 4x32 or similar. Good for the distance you need and out beyond that.
    Something like a Nikko mountmaster 4x32 AO is cheap enough.

Plenty of 2-7x32 options out there too. Have a look at the Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 AO

Just a word of warning, fitting a 22" barrel will affect power whether that is your intention or not.
    Please make sure you check power is legal after making any changes

6. Jonkem

Jonkem Busy Member

Most low mag airgun scopes will be fine at those ranges, 3-9 will be best price point because they are very very common. Just leave it set on 3x or where it's comfortable for your eye but will still focus at 10mt.
    You don't need AO in the situation you describe so check the basic Hawke fastmount scopes that can be had around £50 new or £30 ish used.

I'd expect a very fine reticle would be best at that close range and IR would help in very low light. Some Discovery scopes have a very fine reticle, not all of them are IR, price is very good for that glass quality.

44 or 50mm lens will help with capturing as much light as possible.

Doubtful that you'd find a fixed mag scope that will be focussed that close for a price that's sensible money.

7. rich79

rich79 Donator

This is true, I fitted the barrel off a 2260 Rabbitstopper to my 2250xl, it went to 12.2fpe, still over no matter what, required a bit of fettling to lower it.

robs5230 likes this.
  8. sagalout

sagalout All the kit still ....

I use a hawke 3-9x40AO at 7m in me shed and it is really good, I have it set to about 6x and the view is very clear and crisp.

9. Popgun

Popgun Donator

10. altair

altair Member

Thanks guys, power wise I'm in NZ, so no power restrictions.
    Have heard about the bugbuster scopes, not available here, so end up being quite expensive by the time they are purchased and shipped.
    Maybe I'll look at a 4x32, heaps of them here..scopes are something I struggle to understand "term wise" so the simpler the better.
    I ordered the longer barrel hoping to help accuracy more than anything. Mind you I don't mind if it's ore powerful, I just don't want to get into adjusting internals.
    Have been using a .22 at roughly 21fpe and a .25 at 34fpe so the 2250 is actually really nice to use, and I don't have the recoil the gas rams have.
    Thank you, appreciate the advice. New to the Ratcatcher but love it!

littleJon365 likes this.
  11. Popgun

Popgun Donator

My Rimfire has a 14" barrel, it is far more accurate than me

12. altair

altair Member

Popgun, thank you, that vid made a bit more sense to me!

13. altair

altair Member

Yes, and it would be far more accurate than me..lol I just want the most humane kills I can, even though they are destructive Rats, I don't want to maim or cause unnecessary suffering. Thanks

14. Popgun

Popgun Donator

hr does "go on a bit" but has some good informative video`s

15. altair

altair Member

Yes, he made sense, I'll watch it again in the morning when I'm more awake. sounds to me like a 2x scope would be good for my short distances, don't need some fancy thing

16. Trampilot

Trampilot Keyboard Hero

I think uttings are doing a deal on HAwke Panoramas 2-7x32. They are fixed px but if given your distances 2-4x will be fine. They offer wide field of view, good lenses and an illuminated reticle.

17. bucketboy

bucketboy Keyboard Hero

Ior valdada recon, that goes down to 8 yards. 4-28x50 awesome optics....

.....£2000 :D

Bb

18. metalman

metalman Keyboard Hero

Longer doesn't always equate to accuracy, this from my 12" barrel,

Screenshot 2018-11-19 at 17.10.57.png

19. Jay Butts

Jay Butts Quick, put it back before anybody notices!

Yeah, the Hawke would be spot on mate.

Hawke Vantage 2-7x32AO Riflescope https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WN2669C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q5LvDb21F8C7D

BTW, the ‘peep hole’ sights are called ‘open sights’ and do obscure your view. However, because you’re not having to look through the scope (and at the distances you’re shooting at) you could save some money and persevere with these. There are advantages of shooting with open sights such as Weight saving and faster target acquisition...

Just a thought. Hope you get yourself sorted!

20. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

You just don't need a high power variable for an air rifle @15 mtrs or less - my first thought was for the good old Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5 - 6 X 20 but they are now long discontinued - something along those lines would be perfect though - you just need choose wisely with regard to parallax.