1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I'm about to jump in...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Will Hay, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Will Hay

Will Hay Well-Known Member

After weeks of reading, lurking, constantly scanning I've decided to jump in.
    I've contacted a local target club and I'm going to call in.
    They appear more enthusiasts than a formal club as they don't have a spare rifle for me to try but seem friendly enough.
    My toughest choice has been gun type, as I guess it is for all new to the sport but, and here's where I need eduction, when you're faced with the choice between a pre-charged or even C02 why would you choose a springer?
    Is it is case that the springer is more of a challenge therefore the choice of the purist?
    I'm not by any means belittling the springer choice, man I know it's all down to personal preference it's just that my only intent is field target and to constantly reload seems to me to be an unnecessary distraction.
    I hate to say it and this may get me some criticism that I'll take in the chin but I've not seen many rifles I've immediately loved and thought a piece of engineering beauty.
    The all blacks [tactical?] look great but there's certainly something to be said for the walnut.
    Anyway, about the only one to date to take my breath away has been the BSA R10 which looks stunning and reviews I've read seem very complimentary.
    The lower part is different to virtually every single rifle I've seen to date, much thicker and I think the reason I'm drawn to it, aesthetically at least.
    If anyone knows of a suitable alternative to this I could research I'd be grateful.
    I'm pretty sure I'll be going .177 calibre which surprised me as before I joined this site I was sure it would be .22.
    I believe .177 is better for field target.
    So, the hunt for the R10 or a suitable alternative begins now.
    Whilst second user is my preference for obvious reasons do must shops allow a try?
    A heads up on essential accessories would be useful, would this be limited to scope and silencer?

2. tisme

tisme Donator

Hold your nose and in you go.Too many rifles out there and too many different views. The R10 is fine, jump in and enjoy the journey.

3. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Gun safety is always a top priority, so unfortunately the distraction of loading will always be present as you must carry the gun unloaded between firing points.
    The choices are endless as far as rifles are concerned, why not visit a local supplier make a shortlist of 3 that fall within your budget and feel comfortable to shoulder and ask for opinions. Better still, attend the club and talk with the members, I'm sure within a few visits you'll have shot most of what's on offer in today's market.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Regards,Stu.

4. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Springers are the first choice for someone starting off generally, it teaches a lot and is as you say more of a challenge to shoot, PCP's are addictive to shoot as they will put the pellet where you want it almost every time which I think initially is really pleasing but can be a tad repetitive and less rewarding to getting the same results with a springer.
    however I must add that both springer and PCP are great fun to shoot and both will give you hours of fun and let's face it you'll end up with about 10 guns in a years time anyways ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

.177 is the better calibre for all airgun shooting ....iv had the r10 mk1 and mk2 and were both very good rifles ...but there isnt really much difference in mkst of the top end rifles go with what feels rite atb

6. Will Hay

What are you shooting with now and what made you change from the R10?
    Thanks.

7. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

ATM I'm using a daystate regal and an fx Indy. No reason why I changed I just like having a change. Being honest all the top end rifles are good nothing in em really atb

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Look at the price of a half decent springer (£100) and then a half decent PCP (£390 + charging gear) then it's easy to see why springers are often a first choice.

Im not really a fan of the R10 or any of BSA's other guns except the Meteor and Ultra but if you're happy with it then it's fine.

Prefer Air Arms S400s myself,they aren't regulated but are cheaper and still an English rifle,everyone needs one :p

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  9. Will Hay

Thanks, I'll check out the S400.

10. ste

ste Posting Addict

Welcome along if you like the r10
    I would say have a look at the superten very nice reliable are rifle that is regulated very accurate
    Cheers ste

11. Jed Clampit

Jed Clampit Posting Addict

I'd say welcome - then watch the face of a springer shooter when they knock a target down ...thats why we shoot them... it makes us grin.....:):D:D:)

12. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    I'm a confirmed pcp shooter, and air arms at that .... but I can see what this guy means

13. Robster9

Robster9 Well-Known Member

I started with a springer and have just come full circle back to one as it is more satisfying, and you have to focus on technique to be consistent! Have fun, buying a new gun is a lovely experience :)

14. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Many come to my Club with a Springer - Buy and use a PCP - but later get and use more a custom Built Springer

Stating that PCP's are lifeless -

Personally I prefere PCP's ;)

BOB/R