1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I'll tell you a real joke

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by AA Anonymous, Oct 5, 2007.

1. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

I'll tell you a real joke it's the law today a friend of mine who i work with now and again has had a couple of old shot guns for about 30 years he doesn't use them now but hangs on to them because of their sentimental value to him, well any way his license was due and he left it quite close to the expiry date to renew so he hand delivered the renewal form to make sure it got there in time. a few days later he had a knock on his door and had to hand over his guns because they were unlicenced when he checked into what went wrong with his renewal it turned out that the forms he had hand delivered had been sat on someones desk for two days before they were handed in when he explained the error was their fault and not his they told him he has now got to re-apply for his licence as if he has never had one and they couldn't guarantee he would get his guns back even if he does get his licence what a bloody joke the whole system is it makes my blood boil what difference does two days make anyway.:down::mad::mad::mad:

2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

AA...the Law does state that unlicenced guns can be confiscated, and for very good reason, but it rarely, if ever, actually happens. More often than not the guns will be put into holding either at the Police station or at a local gun shop. The main reason that a person doesn't renew certificates it's usually because they know for sure it won't be granted, either for health or security reasons, either of which puts you and me in danger, but your friend should have taken the guns to the nearest gun shop or to a friend who holds a shotgun certificate and put them in their keeping until his ticket had been renewed. He could also have applied for a temporary ticket and would have saved a lot of heartache. Most Police Firearms Officers will not accept form delivered by hand..ours certainly won't, they have to be sent "recorded signed for" as a minimum as do the shotgun registration forms. This safeguards both parties as there is direct proof of sending and receiving and the dates.
    Please note...I'm not arguing about the law being an Ass, it certainly is and especially where firearms are concerned. Our 12 ft/lb guns are firearms, the least regulated for sure, but still firearms. This is where things get silly. If my air rifle goes to 12.1ft/lbs I need a firearms certificate, which I almost certainly wouldn't get without being a member of a target shooting club for 6 months or a land owner or need one for my work and even then I need to get approval for each and every FAC weapon I want BEFORE buying. However, I can and have got a Shotgun Certificate and as such can buy and own technically an infinite number of shotguns as long as I keep them secure. I can also hold and infinite amount of Shotgun Cartridges and not even have to keep them secure, so where's the sense in that.
    The new Laws on Air Guns and imitation guns is silly, it either hasn't gone far enough or has gone too far. I say this because there are huge loop holes which makes the law as it stands ineffective, so the loop holes either need plugging and making airguns truly regulated or the law should never have been made.....take your pick.
    Sorry to have been on my soap box for so long here, but if you take on the responsibility of owning guns, you should also take on the responsibility of making sure you stay within the Law.

3. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

I know the law is suposed to "protect us":rolleyes: but as far as he was concerned his application was in on time and he's got a gun safe to keep them in so they wasn't left laying about a quick inspection by the police would have shown them they were safe until the paperwork was sorted. after owning them for 30 odd years i dont think he was waiting for his licence to expire before he go's on a shooting spree which is the impresion the authorities tend to give you, sorry but i could waffle on about this for hours i can see your point but didn't realise how stiff they are with the licence he even has to state speeding offences on his new application i mean what the hell has that got to do with shooting a shotgun:confused::confused:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Speeding offences, like many other "minor" offences, such as illegal registration plates, loud exhaust systems, playing music too loud and any other activity seen to be anti-social or selfish, are all marks of someones personality and character. It's a gauge as to how capable and willing you are to stay within the acceptable behaviour pattern expected of a responsible person and I think you'd have to agree that we only want responsible people owning guns. You don't even have to break laws, just show you don't care about others rights and opinions and it will go against you on FAC or Shotgun ticket application or renewal, not necessarily stop you getting one, but would send up warning signals that would make them look deeper.
    As I said before, your friend didn't follow the required or desirable route by first of all leaving his renewal application until it was too late to expect to get it back in time, it needs to be 6 to 8 weeks at least. Then a call to the local Firearms Licencing Office for advice would have solved the problem in minutes...taking the information to them rather than making them come to you always pays dividends.

Just a case in point....2 weeks ago Jenny and I were returning from a Clay Shoot and we were pulled by a Police Officer who was informing me I had a brake light out. Naturally it was can I see your licence, insurance MOT etc as well, but I don't mind that if it helps keep those who haven't got them off the streets, but I said something like "I should tell you Officer that I have licenced shotguns and cartridges in the car as we are just returning home from shooting. They are unloaded and safe in slips in the back of the car". He thanked me for bringing this to his attention voluntarily, checked our Shotgun Tickets and then asked me to show him the guns. He said that had he seen them himself we would have been arrested and the Armed Response Officers would have been called in until the matter had been sorted and de-arrested.
    This is the sort of responsibility you take onboard when you are granted the authority to own Fire Arms and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Yes it's a pain in the rear end, but in the case of Fire Arms it's one worth enduring.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  5. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Buzz you're right, you can never be too careful with the current gun attitude in this country.

6. Ratman

Ratman Member

We're worthy

To some extent I aggree with you, but don't you think being pulled for a brake light malfunction is just a waste of time, could not this Policeman be put to better use dealing with crime, real crime.
    A friend of mine had his garage done over by thieves, it took the Police three days to respond, my friend swore at the 'Hobby Bobby'(PCSO) and was threatened with arrest under the ASBO nonsence.
    We who own firearms legaly should not be held to task, we've already proved we're worthy.

7. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Ratman....who else is likely to tell you have a brake light out and if another fails in the time it takes you to find out yourself you're left without brake lights at all. Potentially fatal to someone following. It's not something you would usually get anything but a polite comment over unless you were doing something else wrong or replied in an aggressive manner. Would you rather be stopped and politely informed you had a brake light out or possibly be responsible for someones death only days later ??
    If indeed the Police took 3 days to respond to your friends workshop burgulary they should be taken to task...but not by swearing at the Police that did respond...they didn't know about it 3 days previously, they would have been give the job hours or only minutes before they arrived. BELIEVE ME...I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HERE and derrogatory remarks like "Hobby Bobby" about someone doing a very responsible job doesn't help the cause at all. The correct way would have been to contact the Inspector and give him the story in a proper manner making sure he realises your discontent by informing him you're taking the matter to your MP.
    As to your point of legal ticket holders shouldn't be harrassed, I don't agree at all. A shotgun or FA ticket doesn't give you immunity, it only shows that up to the point of grant you've shown yourself to be a responsible person...it doesn't give you carte blanche to become an overnight d******d and get away with it!!

Brian

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007