1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

If I May......

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by PeeBee, Dec 4, 2020.

1. PeeBee

PeeBee Engaging Member

I've been thinking about applying for a shotgun license for a while. I know nothing of the legal aspects of the subject so will be grateful if you could answer a few questions.

The reason for applying is I'd like to do some dray bashing on a woodland permission of mine.

The perm is only small - around an acre or so - but is surrounded by another five acres or so of grassland (owned by the same person) which in turn borders open countryside.

Would it be permissible to request a licence for such a small acreage? (I'd only be using it against squirrels)

I've got my sights on a .410, would wanting a smaller bore shotgun in such a small area make it easier to obtain a license, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mmamonster likes this.
  2. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

You dont need land or permission to apply for shotgun license, tell them what you intend doing but cant say they will be bothered.
    Alot of people only have shotguns just for clay shooting
    Atb
    Mart

Suffolk1, ukglyn and PeeBee like this.
  3. fatplumber

fatplumber Engaging Member

I just said I started on clays. Firearms officer thought it was a renew as my name came up. My last cert expired in 1974. :rolleyes:

4. Storcky

Storcky Keyboard Hero

As stated no land requirements (only the owners) and just say it’s for clay’s bashing and pest control.

5. PeeBee

PeeBee Engaging Member

Thanks for the replies.

Just one thing.

If I said it was for clays, wouldn't I have to join a club or something? Or is 'intent' a good enough reason?

6. ukglyn

ukglyn Pro Poster

No need to join a club, most clay grounds are pay & play.

Suffolk1 and PeeBee like this.
  7. Storcky

Storcky Keyboard Hero

Now stop thinking about it and download the forms.
    As they say “You know it makes sense” :thumb:

PeeBee and WR14210 like this.
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Posting Addict

Unlike applying for a F.A.C., plod have to have good reason to deny your S.G.C. application. Go for it, you'll not have a problem.

PeeBee likes this.
  9. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

This was the case for many years, but unfortunately the tide appears to have turned somewhat in this regard, and a lot of forces are now insisting that you are actually a member of a clay shooting club, and there have even been reports of forces hinting that potential SGC holders have lessons in safe gun handling, how true this is i don't know, but one thing that i do know for sure is that the net seems to have tightened more every time i renew.

r10hunter likes this.
  10. Issac

Issac Keyboard Hero

When I applied for FAC, I also applied for SGC. On the visit, the firearms were discussed very briefly, but the shotgun was never mentioned. The certificate just arrived along with the firearms one.

That was two years ago,..how time flies..

11. Buckshot

Buckshot Posting Addict

It always seems the "net" has a one way knot, just tightens, never loosens.:down:

r10hunter and 2506sendero like this.
  12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Very true !!

The FEOs do sometimes make a phone call to check reasons these days so never worth talking rubbish, although pay and play grounds are a perfectly valid reason to grant as said that’s going to depend on area and FEO if they suggest lessons.
    If membership of a club is cheap enough and you will do a bit of clay bashing it’s a bullet proof reason.

If shooting on land have the person giving permissions phone number to hand it’s only a simple chatty phone call from the FEO to them.
    I have taken several calls from FEOs for lads shooting with us and it’s no ordeal at all.

Don’t say clay shooting at xxx clay ground then go and buy a silenced .410 it will get noticed and you want a good relationship with your FEO.
    Your use is perfectly acceptable just tell the truth.
    Oh and feed the wood so you attract a pheasant or two :)

The having permission is the easy part it’s messing around getting doctors to complete the paperwork that’s a pain.

Good Luck you won’t need it it’s easy.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    2506sendero likes this.
  13. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

Thanks for clearing that one up R10, i have never encountered any problems on renewal thankfully, but had just heard about the possible new SGC ''Regulations'' that seem to have evolved from the new shooters at my club, and from reading other shooting forums, but as we all know, what we read on the internet is not always accurate and reliable information.

Tyler durdon and r10hunter like this.
  14. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

Just apply for it, give reason & wait for the interview & the postman, they don't go into calibres & land inspection like an fac, you don't have to have calibre slots either, just buy what you want.
    As for. 410 the rounds are expensive for what they are, unless noise is an issue which it doesn't sound like it is then I'd go 20b.

Tyler durdon likes this.
  15. Jester

Jester Completely Unbelievable New Taste Sensation

FEOs treat people as individuals, the only times I've heard of them suggesting a gun handling/safety lesson is when the shooter has little to no experience. And it's not a bad suggestion based on some of the habits I see at clay grounds!

Tyler durdon and 2506sendero like this.
  16. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Big Poster

My license went through very quickly, the FEO was a sound guy , I even had my safe fitted before he came to visit , as above they treat everyone as individuals ,
    I’d already had a few lessons, and was booked in for the cpsa shotgun skills course, this seemed to to go down well during our meeting
    Good luck

2506sendero likes this.
  17. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

No FEO is going to insist you are a member of a clay ground. No way are you going to lay out at least £50 on the off chance that you do get a grant! When as been said most grounds are pay and play. He may question Dray bashing with a 410. You really need something with a bit more firepower. You dont actually with a SGC have to specify what gun you will get.

Tyler durdon likes this.
  18. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Big Poster

Yes very good point !

19. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Why would you need more firepower than .410 for drey bashing squirrels.
    Many people use pump action silenced .410 for this don’t they it’s about the most popular gun for this use.

The clay club membership can be a cheaper option in areas where they are going to want you to have lessons if you have no experience and you give pay and play as a reason.

20. Tyler durdon

Tyler durdon Big Poster

But with a section 2 you don’t have to limit yourself, get your license and have what you want , ive got a 4/10 and a few 12s,.. semi auto included