1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Idleback shooting range

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by Kai87, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Kai87

Kai87 Donator

hi, guy iv been to idleback shooting range this morning, and come away with mixed emotions, any one else been?

the facilities are absolutely fantastic, illuminated knockdown targets out to 30 meters, bell target, motorized paper targets out to 30 meters, very clean and a great shop,
    and importantly they were very friendly and helpfull

what i was pleased with they chronoed my rifle for me, and then filled the rifle to 200 bar, and helped work out how many shots per fill on my new brocock concept (14 mags) 84 pellets 200 bar to 90 bar with very little drop at 25 meters.
    and they also had a table set out with various pellets to use free of charge, air arms, crosman, rws, weihrauch, and a few others which was great and found my rifle loves air arms field.
    they also refilled my rifle when i left :).

what left me with the mixed emotions was the price, although the price they charged for people with out there own equipment was great, a young lad came in with his dad and seemed to have a great time was charged £25, and he used a aa s200 and a daystate huntsman with hawke scopes and they supplied the air and pellets and whatever they needed wich i think is very reasonable and also two older guys shared a lane and shared a hw100 fitted with a mamba scope.
    but i was a little unhappy with the £12 for an hour on the lane, although i was there more like 1hr and 40mins i was there first thing in the morning so this probably had something to do with it,
    i do understand they have limited lanes and times but £12 pound seems a little excessive, its just that if i wanted to shoot there regularly it would become very expensive :( which is a shame
    but the shop and cafe and range are great, and the guy (i forgotten his name) was very helpfull, and i did have a good time over all :)

http://www.idleback.co.uk/indoor-shooting-range

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. dave1962

dave1962 Posting Addict

The place sounds good but that is expensive.

3. Kai87

Kai87 Donator

not just me tht thought that then :)

i would go every week if it was cheaper

4. milek

milek Honorary Member

£12 would get you four weeks shooting at the Greyhound club all day every day with targets out to 65 yards including a full HFT range. Kinda puts the lack of value into perspective and 30 meters is certainly a limiting factor.

5. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

having met the whole family i can say they are very nice people, why dont you ask darren (the boss) if they can do a subscription charge, or lower rates when not busy. i am sure they will try and support good clients.

6. Kai87

Kai87 Donator

I'd love to go often so this would be a good idea, I did ask the lady on reception and she gave me a card that gets stamped and after 10 visits you get one visit free
    If I went every saturday that's £132 for 3 months! And roughly £536 for the year to only go for 1hr every saturday

7. andy46

andy46 Donator

as dave1962 says,sounds like a good place to go,but a bit steep on price,but you get what you pay for,tell you what,can pay me if you want to go shooting.

8. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

that does sound fantastic value, maybe your lucky as there is as far as i know nothing like that around my area, does it have a tea cafe too? to note the cost of setting up a new venture does not come cheap these days, anyway if i lived in your area maybe for me would be happy just 1 hour every now and again to set scope and rifle and enjoy meeting new shooters. oh maybe nice cup of yorkshire tea:up:

9. milek

milek Honorary Member

It isn't exactly my area it's a 60 mile round trip yet it still represents incredible value in comparison if I stay there for two hours or more. There isn't a range any nearer for me so it's a case of must travel. Yes, you can get a cuppa at either Millride/Greyhound/Furnace Mill which all just happen to be equidistant from me. I have thought about approaching a farmer to ask for a strip of land 45 yards just for zeroing; that's worth £200 a year to me.

10. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

thats interesting no range in birmingham or there abouts, dont you shoot on farm land? well would not cost much to send out some letters of intent then maybe a farmer might help, you could give in return as i try and do the odd job before harvest or vermin control. or if you had some shooter friends pool together and rent a strip of land or old barn. good luck

11. Happy Hippo

Happy Hippo Engaging Member

What you have to take into consideration is that Idleback is a commercial operation and they are in business.

For businesses to survive, they have to make a profit.

That profit is a balance between getting punters through and returning on a regular basis, or ripping them for a one off experience that they will not wish to repeat.

If you use the latter technique you soon go out of business as the word spreads.

What you have is a nice warm indoor range with all singing and dancing targetry.

That £12 has to pay for the overheads, maintenance and upkeep of the range.

I'll wager there are times when the range is standing idle, so is making no profit whatso ever.

You cannot compare the facilities they have there with the likes of Millride, which in comparison is very basic.

I cannot speak for either Greyhound or Furnace Mill, but what charges do they make there? and are they a commercial operation or are they a members club that allows non members to shoot for a small fee?

Has anyone else on the forum used Idleback, and if so what are their impressions?

Do they have a string of satisfied customers.?

If the answer to the last question is Yes, then they seem to have got the balance of range fees about right.

I'm not trying to knock you down, but it would be interesting get a more general feel for the place r ather than a sole somewhat disgruntled view.

Regards

Richard

12. Kai87

Kai87 Donator

I woudnt say it was a disgruntled review atall, I did enjoy myself and would love to make it a regular thing, but I can't afford to at that price,

As you say it may be aimed more at a one time visit place but I can't see how that would bring them a regular income?

I'm just unhappy I can't afford to go weekly,
    Maybe you can?
    :(

13. rick r

rick r Engaging Member

At £12 an hour it is a quarter of the yearly subscription for any of your local air rifle clubs. Once accepted as a member of Ponte, Emley or Redfearns you would have use of their grounds dawn to dusk 365 days a year.

14. milek

milek Honorary Member

A warm indoor range is so far removed from hunting/HFT I see very little value in going to be honest. Even the 30 metre range is of little use to the average shooter. There's a new club opened up in Aston Arena where the capability is for 70 metres and a full HFT course in the planning yet that's only £6.00 for around four hours. For £12 I want the whole day with my own prone shooting station out to 45 yards out.

15. Tubba

Tubba Well-Known Member

To be fair £12 don't sound that bad, i mean you'd be happy to buy 4 pints down the pub wouldn't you?

16. milek

milek Honorary Member

Every hour?

17. Tubba

Tubba Well-Known Member

To right mate, your as bad as me lol.

18. milek

milek Honorary Member

Put it into perspective. Three hours on a good day at the range; £36 and you will have only managed to practice up to 30 yards! it just doesn't make any sense at all.

19. Tubba

Tubba Well-Known Member

If im honest mate im not much into target shooting. So i wouldn't know if it was good or bad.

20. kripton factor

kripton factor Member

Hi all
    I dont know if anyone will read this because all the posts seem to be some time ago and ive only just joined.

I have been to the range in Rotherham twice. I havent shot for over 30 years and was board one day and thought id give it a go. It has now got my intrest back into the sport so much so im looking ot buy a rifle!.

I do think it is a little expensive though. Ratman60's idea of a subscription charge is a good one, maybe they read this site. I do know that they dont worry about the times if they are quite. They are also very helpful and friendly.

I hope they do well.