1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on this xbow

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Adam_v, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Adam_v

Adam_v Engaging Member

My father in law just gave me this it's in a sad state but gave it a go in there garden,
    There garden is big with a big back stop in case things go wrong. Anyway loaded up a bolt and to be honest very nervously pulled the trigger, off the dArt flew so ok I didn't hit the bull but went in the target,
    It's an old thing lol a Barnett wildcat. My question is I fancy making it a project as the stock has blistered and a few rust spots,
    So where do I start?
    Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

nitro mors is always a good start mate
    atb

3. mmamonster

mmamonster Big Poster

i used sand paper 150 grit down to 400 grit with my shotgun and alot of arm work.

4. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

I found medium wet and dry to work best stripping varnish etc off stocks (I used the wet pad type) then finish with fine wet and dry.
    Then you want to stain it (if you want to) followed up by several layers of oil.

Will come up a treat :)

5. Adam_v

Adam_v Engaging Member

Is it worth spending the time and money on it you think ?
    I was thinking maybe do her up and sell on as I won't use it would rather put money towards a rifle?

6. Titchgamer

Well it will cost peanuts to do the stock and maybe add £10 onto the value.
    The wildcat is not exactly a premium x-bow to start with so you wont get a huge amount for it anyways.

But it will be a good project and starting place for doing stocks.

7. Adam_v

Adam_v Engaging Member

I'm guessing the butt plate will be the same as an air rifle?
    Can you buy them on there own?

8. gasman

gasman Ex-Head of sales smartfit uk, IQ -8

its a old barnett is it not?,was'nt their a guy posted a wanted thread for old versions?
    i've got a new wildcat c5 barnett and i love it,great fun,but very powerful so be carefull :up:

9. Titchgamer

Yes, It was Gixxer.

10. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

andy long time no chat hows things ,alls good i hope.thats a nice vintage barnett wildcat.has it rubber or plastic but plate.it looks like it has a scope rail version of the rear sight unit but i cant tell too well from pics.these are cracking old school things.easily made much safer and more accurate than standard.the limb and trigger are the weekness if its a none vellocispeed limb.trigger pins drift out .easily sorted older limbs delaminate often.not great values boxed examples with 2 weight limbs bolts papars only fetching 160.00.or just over.fixer uppers like that between 35 to 60 dependant on limb and condition nice nic models up to 90 ish if limbs are ok.its a pitty re the but as the rest looks ok.if it were me i would see if the but would sand down a little with milk paper to remove cracking then get a little schellac i think it is as used in french polisy to fill cracks and polish up complete stock to a gleam.takes time but if you want to make it more accurate you will need same or simular for deck fletch groove.as these are often rough .a wooden lolly stick wrapped with very fine paper alond its length a few times will smooth it then schellac mixed with meths and a drop of linseed oil as for the but then i brush it along the slot.once dried they are silky smooth.it does take some time .i guess theirs other products that will work as well or better but when i did them thats what i used.the alloy head or carrier as called can have sharp seams internaly although rubber pads are inplace i clean them off too.trigger units need lifting our to check for loose pins .then i cut tin plates to fit either side of unit so as when replaced pins dont so freely come out into the wood which is often the case.once trigger is out if you work trigger you will note where the string sits and by pulling trigger which is the sear that releases the catch.i generaly take .25 off this and polish it to reduse trigger pull and smooth it out but leave it prob just polish the end where it contacts under the release plate that holds string .if you look you will see what i mean.strings what lengt is yours 25" or l;onger armex do replacements but get correct length made by them.limbs if its vellocispeed limb its fine.i wouldnt go above 125lb .alot of wildcats were between 70lb and 120 lb .again a new limb from barnett will be over 70.00.armex brand fit well same size and come in powers from under 70lb to 175 lb for that ide look around 105lb.check that the carrier does not pretrude above the deck catching bolts .accurate things .barnett made a hand cocking devise i think called a goats foot claw to aid cocking rare but can get them from fleebay.i have also seen steel rod bent to shape that would bolt into the spare tapped holes in side of carrier to act as foot stirrup .works well too.not a magnum bow theve come along way but fun accurate too but very deadly if not treated with correct disciplin.cant think what else at the mo.so will pop on time to time see how your going.i havnt been too great of late so havnt done much refurb but got a few of the commando 1 and 2 models to refurb and keep me interested.allen bolts arnt metric either.atb for now.get to work on it much fun to be had.oh they shoot half moon nocks .check out fleebay 14" armex or sim bolts alloy .prefer carbon but alloy are easily found in 14"chow.

11. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

the bolt on the bow is it a flat nock alloy nock if so dont use it .looks like alloy nock flat to me for a commando model.

12. Adam_v

Adam_v Engaging Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just took these fella it does have a scope rail was that added after?

13. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

the scope rails could have been an extra,not too much info on these although common.yours is early i think as it looks like the endo of limb or prod are teardrop shaped and no plastic nock like on latter they had leather pads cut to protect the string ..does the limb show any kind of cracking in its lengh or curves.if so replace it.pistol grip on latter had plates on base in black plastic.rubber pad replaced by plastic latter too.the bolts i cant tell from the pic.the end or nock that goes uop against the string is it flat or does it have a half moon shape machined into it to locate string.if flat dont use.the but is a little rough but will polish up and look ok better than stripping it and loosing originality.yes they are a little hard to draw but with a 105 lb limb easier .silicon oil rubbed on the deck will help speed the bolt and reduce string wear too.if its not accurate their is areason is something catching when the bolt runs along either in the slot or on the deck possibly the carrier.

14. Adam_v

Adam_v Engaging Member

Mate I think it's my aiming lol
    The ends do have leather on them, the groves are all fine no rough edge and the curve is fine no cracks or signs of damage where you from in brum if local I'll pop in and show you and you can see if it's just my aim that I can't hit a barn door!!!!
    Bolts are kinda flat but roundish

15. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

takes a little practise and sighting .bolts need to be unbent and perfectly straight ..use boiled water pour over just the vain and use fingers to flatten straighten them.if bolt is bent bolt dont use but keep for spares vains ,points .its a fixer upper for sure.well the other side of brum from you tho

16. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Hio

I had a Wildcat a few years ago, I bought it second hand but with no string, the bow was in perfect condition but I sold it for a tenner at the bootsale :up:

I still have a Barnett Excocet compound bow in the loft and a couple of handmade Crossbows that were made from solid Oak windowboards from a bombed building by a fireman during the Blitz..

Excocet, 40lbs draw and 30" arrows..
    [​IMG]

Crossbows..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'other bits'..
    [​IMG]

Dangerous things these, I had a close shave with one of them but that's another story :eek::eek::eek:

John :)

17. gixxer

gixxer Busy Member

Johnbaz the exocet is a nice bit of kit,uses similar limbs too same era crossbows .like the hand made xbows.real character.the bolts in the last pic are fiberglass early barnett,for wildcat so on.nice one.