1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Ideal Distance To Zero In Scope On 9ft/ib .22 Rifle?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Zeroexpo123, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Zeroexpo123

Zeroexpo123 Engaging Member

I've got a Rifle here that averages 8.5ft/ib muzzle energy throughout the Co2 capsule. It's a .22 calibre.

I've just download an app called chairgun, a ballistics calculator, and entered values relevant to my gun like pellet weight, fps, ballistic coefficient, etc'.

Zeroing in the scope at around 10 or 15 yards seems to produce the flattest range without having to do holdover/holdunder, so why do people zero their scopes at around 25 or 30 yards?

I even tried chairgun with figures from my 12ft/ib rifle entered, and 10 or 15 yards seemed best. I checked zeroing at 35 yards, and the results were ridiculous in terms of point of impact at various ranges and that would mean messing with mil dots a fair bit.

Sorry if this appears to be a silly question, but it just doesn't make any sense.

Why don't people zero in at these lower ranges for flatter POI curves?

Am I missing something?
    [​IMG]

2. TonyB55

TonyB55 Engaging Member

You usually have two zeros, a near one and a far one. With .177 many people use 35m because the flat trajectory will give a far zero at around 50m. A .22 has a much loopier trajectory especially with low muzzle energy. At 12 ftlb with my favourite pellet I can zero at 20m and be Ok to 30/35m. Your 8.5 ftlb rifle will tend to have the two zeros quite close together. On my .177, if I use it at 10m with a 20m zero I have to bring it up 40 clicks on my scope.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Zeroexpo123 likes this.
  3. robs5230

robs5230 леший

what he said ^^^^^^^

A JSB Rs in .22 travelling at around 550fps (9ftlb) with a scope height of 40mm will give basically a point and squirt between 10 and 22 yards.

Zeroexpo123 likes this.
  4. JoeHeugh

JoeHeugh Beware the Springer

There are two ways to zero. If you' intend shooting targets a fixed distance away, whatever that distance is is your zero, whatever happens before or after that point is irrelevant.

The other way is using Point Blank Zero. Your scope is above the muzzle, so to pass the aim point on the crosshairs the pellet will rise up to it, continue climbing, start falling, pass through it again and continue falling. Where the pellet rises through the line of sight is Near Zero and where it falls back through is Far Zero. It is only at these zeroes that the pellet is bang on target, everywhere else it will fall high or low.

The idea of using PBR is so you can just centre the target on the crosshairs and hit it over the longest distance but from above you can see you it's not going to be totally accurate because it will mostly be above or below to some degree. It is for you to decide how big your target is and therefore how far you are prepared for the pellet to rise and fall while still ensuring a kill. That's your kill zone, so what are you shooting, and how big do you think it needs to be?

5. bigal

bigal Jedi.

Test some light weight pellets. U gain the fps. So shooting straight compared to 14g plus pellets.
    Hope u get near to 570fps. ;) al

rabbitwrecker and Zeroexpo123 like this.
  6. Mice!

Mice! Busy Member

I've zeroed at 20 metres, I can shoot up the 30 in the garden safely but feeders for squirrels are around 20m and 25, maybe closer, this gives me what I need.

Zeroexpo123 likes this.
  7. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

Zero it where your feeders are it is where you will be taking most of your shots

metalman, Zeroexpo123 and Guloluseus like this.
  8. Zeroexpo123

Zeroexpo123 Engaging Member

Great info'

Many thanks guys as always. :thumb:

9. Mrbeck

Mrbeck Engaging Member

I think you said it yourself buddy, I mean everyone has their own way in some sense but most will zero at 30 yards and learn what mil dots to hold under and above to hit the target 10 or 20 yards above or below the zero point. Obviously people with fac weapons might zero at longer distance all depending what they are shooting.

Zeroexpo123 and metalman like this.
  10. Oat

Oat Very Active

For me, chairgun can be used as a starting point to suggest zero ranges, but this needs to then be tested practically. When you have your zero set (at whatever range) it can be useful to have a small card with mils of hold over / under at say 5yd intervals.
    If for example you are always shooting at the same range then you may like to set your zero to that range.

I shoot LSR at 20yd so have a rifle zero'd to 20yd. Then my other rifles for plinking and hunting get a zero of 30yd as over the years i have become familiar with hold over based on that.

There isn't really a golden rule on zero distances.

Zeroexpo123 likes this.