1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I Was Scared,.....

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Issac, Dec 4, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

1. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

I consider myself capable, emotionally tough, robust and bloody awkward. I have served as an Army Officer in combat zones, and also as a Police Officer in civvy street for a number of years, (I know this profession is not well loved on this forum) I have a black belt in JuJitsu and taught student police officers self defence. Currently I serve as a Chairman of Parish Council trying to get the best I can for my community and as a District Councillor trying to get the best for my wider community.

So what had me scared?

Cancer,...

My GP thought it possible that I had either Bladder cancer or Kidney cancer.

Well, sitting in the surgery hearing that hits quite hard.

Sunday last, (after three weeks of stressing) I spent the day in hospital. I number of blood tests were completed and an ultrasound. Finally,...they said I was fine and there was nothing to worry about.

I thought I might die, or at least my life would change greatly. I have had scenarios churning around in my head. What would happen to my wife? My children?

So it was the thought of having cancer that had me scared,....

DrTerror, Pete2, billy.whizz and 22 others like this.
  2. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

From Hartlepool, now in, Leigh-on-Sea Essex
    Hello Isaac,

I am extremely pleased that your news was good news, I know that it really his home when suddenly that word is used.

I was with my wife at a hospital appointment follow up after some tests, it was two days before Christmas when they broke the news to us, then they gave us some time together and we just stood and hugged and cried, we cried all the way home.

I thank my lucky stars everyday that I still have her.

Chin up Issac, and stay fit and well buddy

Very best wishes.
    Les.

3. Shaunj

Shaunj Engaging Member

A couple of years ago, purely by a fluke, I was told that I had a very aggressive form of cancer. Thankfully it was identified early enough for surgery to still be an option. I'm a fairly cold, unemotional person and deal with things very logically, however when someone says that you've been lucky and wouldn't have lasted two years without the surgery that scared me a fair bit. Then during the process I developed sepsis, they didn't tell me until afterwards that I nearly died from that as well! 2017 was definitely a year that made me think a lot about my own mortality.

Tadpole, Issac and foxtrott like this.
  4. timmytree

timmytree Very Active

One of my lovely neighbours was diagnosed with kidney cancer earlier this year, went through surgery and is now recuperating at home, went for a check up to be told that actually it wasn't cancer after all. Great news.
    I have still got my mum at 84, in 1971 she had radical surgery, cobalt and radium treatment for aggressive breast cancer. We still say that her survival was down to RAF surgeons at Halton who didn't muck about, they just whipped the lot off and everything around it. She didn't know anything until she came round because she thought she was going in for a biopsy. For a woman in her 30s that must have been horrific because she was a real "bikini" mum but as the surgeon said, "you've fed your kids, you don't need them anymore."
    Dad was diagnosed with multiple cancers 8 years ago and given 18 months. Being a cantankerous old sod he said cancer wouldn't kill him and denied he had it. Recently he was given the all clear and in full remission which the consultants still don't understand, even all the chemo had little effect apart from making him more bloody awkward than ever.
    Every time I hear of good news about this horrible disease I hope that one day it will be eradicated completely.

5. Brian Richardson

Brian Richardson Old gezzer...

Hi Isaac it’s great you got the all clear:thumb: enjoy life my friend. Brian...

Issac likes this.
  6. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Certainly makes you focus on what life actually means.
    We take so much for granted going about daily routine stuff not knowing just what's around the next corner.
    I have recently been attempting to get things in order not so much 'just in case' as we all know it's going happen, life speeds up as you age so enjoy every day with those you love be it family or friends ... :thumb:

7. Shaunj

Shaunj Engaging Member

The strangest thing is that my wife and I have always had a quite fiery relationship, she's a redhead, so sometimes has a quick temper. Since I nearly shuffled off my mortal coil we seem to be getting along a lot better, I can't remember the last time that we had an argument. In fact, sometimes it's quite boring!

Issac, SlugFest and Tadpole like this.
  8. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

Glad your OK the C word is a bit of an eye opener....i had prostate cancer last year and and the wife has had breast cancer a good few years back so maybe i am a little jaded so i just excepted the fact and just got on with the treatment ....which was successful (this years test results still to come) but everyone is different i would be scared of some of the situations that you have to deal with on a daily basis.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    WR14210, Issac and Shaunj like this.
  9. OldGreyDog

OldGreyDog Busy Member

Isaac. My blood ran cold when I started reading your post, then started to normalise - so pleased for you receiving the all-clear. The C word scares the stuffing out of me and my heart goes out to those on here, and anywhere else, who have, or whose spouses and family who have fallen victim to this awful disease. There but for the grace etc applies to each and every one of us and it will always scare the stuffing out of me...

Tadpole, Issac and Shaunj like this.
  10. Gary Jones

Gary Jones Big Poster

You certainly never know what's round the corner in life mate. Glad you got the best news possible in the end too :up:

I suppose it will make you look at life completely differently and appreciate things that may of in the past gone unnoticed.

Best regards

Gary

rellum and Issac like this.
  11. wizwozuk

wizwozuk Busy Member

Am pleased to read of your positive result.
    I had a similar time.. the waiting was awful. When I got the all clear I cried., my wife cried., my son cried.
    We never could bring ourselves to say the C word...

Issac likes this.
  12. Brooksy

Brooksy Posting Addict

Nothing wrong with police officers if you ask me. I'm very pleased to hear your 'better' news. Now, where did I put that forged car insurance?

:thumb:

Issac likes this.
  13. Margaret13

Margaret13 Honorary Member

Having beat the big C twice my self I understand the waiting game , so pleased all is well for you

Issac and Tadpole like this.
  14. dave 2 stroke

dave 2 stroke Busy Member

or glad you got the all clear and i bet that was not nice wile they did the tests having to wight for them to get results

Issac likes this.
  15. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Busy Member

I hadn't commented on this up to now as we had been waiting on a scan to be taken by a member of the family, which she had today. All clear, I'm glad to say. Very happy to hear your good news, Issac.

16. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Firstly Issac I/we are delighted you've been given the all clear.:up: I had an endoscope 12 years ago that confirmed the dreaded cancer, six months after a partial stomach removal I was given the all clear. Then, four years ago the scar opened just above the belly button in two places and was leaking some sh?t. I went to the doctor, a young very pleasant (and pretty) young lady told me it was the return of cancer. It's then that you just take it in your stride and accept it. I was in the pub with my brother about a week later having dinner when I received a call from her (the doctor) saying she was terribly sorry that she made a mistake and tests confirmed it was not cancer. I enjoyed my food and drink to say the least.
    I'm happy for your all clear mate.
    With regard to the highlighted above. I remember the woodentops from Tower Bridge nick, Carter Street, Peckham, Dulwich and Hendon doing me wrong, getting larrupped with rolled up wet newspapers, being lifted for some imaginary crime, clumped around the earhole countless times (often for nothing) and being "nicked" for a crime I did not commit. I'm supposed to have outrun a 3.5 litre Rover on foot and the beak believed plod. Had a fight with 2 officers out of Hendon, one I hurt the other hurt me. Folks my age can remember the naughties plod got up to back in the 60's and 70's. Okay, today is different, I accept that. My beef with the force now is the constraints put across them. Old Bill on the beat was a deterrent, plod driving around in a car only bothers those driving illegal.
    I now have respect for our highly trained, concerned and brave peelers.

Issac and Tadpole like this.
  17. pjgtech

pjgtech Bah Humbug.......

Stay healthy pal, and stay positive.... :thumb:

Issac likes this.
  18. Issac

Issac Posting Addict

Thank you all for the kind comments.
    I got the official phone call yesterday from the Doctor confirming the all clear, so I am very happy about that.

Now I can get my mind back on the important things in life,...like shooting :)

19. listy

listy Engaging Member

Glad you got all clear just had a mate who had cancer of prostate who was told 10-12 years then given chemo they found others and was looking down to 6-8 years then he ended up with a hernia too they zipped him open to fix and found aggressive cancer on liver, he died couple weeks ago his shop had been closed for 4-6months only like 8 weeks since they found the cancer on liver had been helping him quite a bit in shop off loading stock from his car filling the shelfs he had just passed 65 this year he was always happy and smiling even when he was in a lot of pain

Issac likes this.
  20. phil.m

phil.m Donator

Great news @Issac, I'm so very pleased for you & your family.
    Great timing as well, the uncertainty isn't going to be hanging over you all during the festive period.

I may have been one of the guys that gave you the opinion that police aren't liked?
    That's not the case with me. The police force is a profession that I have total respect for, I know I couldn't do that job.
    It's the 'wrong uns' that I can't stand. But that goes for any profession/walk of life.

Happy shooting.

Issac likes this.