1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I think I've sorted it

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by James811, Apr 1, 2014.

1. James811

James811 Active Member

Hey guys, as some of you may or may not know I've been having some issues with my stoeger x20 s. I'm a brand new shooter so have not blamed the gun totally yet. I've been shooting off of a shooting bag to improve my accuracy. Today I tried it without the bag and had much better success. Attached is the target I shot from about 12 or 13 yards with 10 pellets and I'm very happy with the grouping. The scope needs adjusting obviously down and left but I kept aiming at the bull to see how consistent I was. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    James

2. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

To be honest i would not be happy with that grouping myself

3. James811

James811 Active Member

I'm still on my first tin of pellets so cut me some slack eh?

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

You or the gun either way it not a good group at that distance.
    Sorry!
    andrew

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Yep. Not knocking you, but at that range you would expect much tighter groups. Do you know anyone else with a 'known good gun' that you can try so you can try that and see if its you or the rifle causing the issue. Likewise let them try yours to see if its any different / better.

6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

To be fair you did ask for comments :rolleyes:

At the risk of causing further offence, I'd be disappointed with groups like that at four times the range. From an entry level springer I'd expect groups of 1/2" c-c or less at that distance.

Of course you're new to it all but the idea of shooting off a rest is to eliminate as much of the shooter's influence as possible, so don't take constructive criticism of group size as a slight on your abilities ;)

Finally, what sort of pellets are you using? If you're using cheapo SMKs or similar, chuck them in the nearest scrap bin ASAP and get yourself a tin of something half decent; like RWS Superdomes :)

7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

james give a bit more info? scope/pellets/mounts/how you holding rifle/ using a rest/ and feel sure you will get info to sort it. those stoegers should do 1/2inch groups at 30mtrs a photo of set up??

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. James811

James811 Active Member

I'm using jsb exacts. The scope is a 3/9x40 I believe that came with the gun. No rest or anything just standing and shooting

9. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, ok my take would be, superdomes/a 1 piece mount if not already fitted check fitting studs, a beany type bag to rest rifle on say a work bench/chair, a measured 25mtrs, scope mag to be determined by how clear target is with eye sight, at least 20 shots as will have some flyers maybe

10. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Excellent advice!
    Dag

11. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob Active Member

Don't be put off by the harsh comments - if that's your first grouping you've done well.
    As others have said (but less diplomatically) you should be seeking to greatly improve that performance as you go along. Looking at the group it's pretty open, that means it doesn't look like you're doing anything consistently wrong when you shoot.
    The key is to hold the gun lightly and in exactly the same way every time, have you tried the artillary hold? It works for some. On some of my springers I touch my fingers to the stock screws, just so that I can be sure my fingers are in the same place each shot. Don't grip the gun at all, just rest it on your hand and caress the pistol grip with your shooting hand. Don't pull it back into your shoulder, don't jam your cheek onto the cheek piece.
    The pellets you are using can make a big difference, try some other quality brands.
    Most springers need a couple of tins of pellets to settle down and start shooting accurately.
    Stick with it - let us know how you get on.

12. thisisdonald

thisisdonald Engaging Member

here you go pal... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOYSU5Lq7oA

As Biker Bob mentioned - you should definitly give the artillary hold some range time - a springer needs to recoil, this hold allows the gun to move, it should dramatically improve your grouping... check your stock screws, put a peice of masking tape in front of both your mounts, both on the scope and the rifle to see if the scope is creeping.... also read up on shooting techniques, especially the part about breathing - this is probably THE most important aspect of taking a shot, followed by how you pull the trigger, and how you follow through - theres plenty of information about this online... basically you need to build up to the pellet hitting the target in stages, each requiring concentration until it becomes second nature, THEN you can start blaming the gun!!

13. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

but you asked for comment's and i gave you my honest opinion :) and if your stoeger is .22
    i will send you some test pellet's of different brand's free of charge
    atb
    wiz

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  14. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Is these are standing shots..then for a new shooter i wouldn't worry..standers can be hard to master at first ...now from a rest, that's a diff matter...I'd want pellet on pellet at 35 yards and beyond..I can now sit down and get pellet on pellet at 55 yards with no resting..it just takes practice...as already been said, try a few diff pellets and see what groups best for your rifle

15. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I wasn't all that amazing a shot with my Hatsan Mod 60s. I think what is required is a ton more practise. Just time seemed to make me a better shooter. Not that I'm saying I'm the worlds best but I feel I've improved considerably over the 3 years I've been shooting.

Oh and don't try to zero with standing shots.

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Some of the above comments are a little harsh, perhaps. I wouldn't be happy with that group at that range, but I've been shooting since I was 13, and am now 35, so I've put a good few rounds down barrels by now. If that was my first go I wouldn't be that upset by any stretch.

As mentioned above, you don't need to hang on to a recoiling rifle - the opposite is true. The skill with a springer is to allow it to react in the same way every time you pull the trigger. The hold has already been discussed, so I won't go into too much detail. As for trigger technique, you need to use both stages of your trigger; assuming you are steady on the target, using the tip of your finger, gently apply pressure until the first stage is taken up (this is when you feel the trigger "stop"). Following this you make sure that you are still aimed correctly and then gently but firmly push the trigger through the second stage. This is where getting to know your rifle comes to the fore - you have to know how much pressure you need to apply and how much the rigger "creeps" before the sear disengages and releases the action, shooting the pellet.

I won't comment too much on whether standing is a good idea; suffice to say that I zero either sat on a chair or rested on a bench. I support the rifle by hand, never allowing it to rest, as when I take it into the field, I won't have a rest with me.

So, remember, it's all about consistency. The same rifle, with the same pellets, will shoot pretty much identically every time - it's just the inputs of the shooter which change this.

Good luck, stick at it, and don't worry about being told you're crap - when I started I was pleased to hit the A4 paper I'd drawn the target on.

17. richardscar

richardscar Donator

The only thing that lets these forums down and puts newcomers off, are ill thought , abrupt , unhelpfull answers . Hope the guy gets his free pellets.... ?
    Otherwise I love reading all the wealth of information/stories/experience and piping in with some b*ll*cks from time to time ;) atb, rich.
    Give the lad a break , he sound like a polite , friendly chap .
    ps that group is not bad freestanding with the stoeger James.. probably the recoil is inconsistent too, not just the hold ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014