1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I love debates, heres another! :D

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by TheBish, Mar 4, 2014.

1. TheBish

TheBish Junior Member

Hello again all
    If a rifle is a 'Carbine' or a normal length, does it effect accuracy, whether the answer is scientific or from experience it doesn't matter.
    Faithfully
    Alex

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

No,When a rifle is manufactured in carbine,it will usually have the same length/rifle twist ratio as the full length version will have.

it's when you carbine a full length one by chopping the barrel that sometimes you loose a bit of power or accuracy.

3. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

From experience. NO!

4. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

With regard to accuracy,I believe it was John Bowkett who did the research and discovered anything over 7" has no appreciable improvement.

Powers another matter and 12" minimum is recommended for a springer and PCP's have different rules entirely.

5. bl4de

bl4de Donator

Have carbined, cut 'n crowned many a ratty Barrel and not noticed any difference.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Your up late mate

7. TheBish

TheBish Junior Member

Thanks for the reply's, what would happen if I put a full length barrel on a carbine?
    Atb Alex

8. Tinbum

It'd be longer.

9. Smithz

Smithz Well-Known Member

Brilliant :claping:

But all joking a side in the aspects of air rifles in general the only difference between Carbine and Standard lenght is the barrel it's self so putting a full lenght barrel on a carbine would simply make it bigger.

Except in some Pcp's i believe in some carbine models not only is the barrel shortened but so is the air cylinder so it is made shorter and lighter, but a smaller air cylinder means less air which means less shots pre fill.

Thats my observations anyway.

10. bobbie1

bobbie1 Busy Member

It depends weather the pellet was still accelerating when it left the shorter barrel, if it was it may produce more power with the longer barrel,
    if it was at it's peak when the pellet left the shorter barrel it would lose power with the longer barrel ,

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  11. walker

walker Busy Member

you put a longer barrel on a pcp i think the power would go up slightly. if you chop a barrel down you lose power as more air is needed to get the pellet up to speed because it leaves the barrel earlier as its shorter. i think thats right?

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I believe a longer barrel will take wind better, hence making it more accurate at range.

I love carbines and have had some absolute belters but in my experience if you were to set targets at say 50 yrds and measure the centre to centre distances of a 5 shot group from every airgun Ive ever owned, I think the longest would be the most accurate for sure, but you wouldn't notice a difference up to 30 yrds.

I got a .177 rapid at the moment I would love to shorten, but I could never chop that barrel its a stonker.

13. Tinbum

Haha, that is you're whacky English senses of humour no?

The wind drift is effected by the velocity, BC and distance travelled. The length of barrel has nothing to do with it excepting that;

a) the velocity may be increased
    b) the distance from muzzle to target is 2" less

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Its also determined by the rotation of the projectile, try shooting a pellet from a smooth bore compared to a rifled barrel and see what you get.

Remember when a pellet travelling down a long barrel its being driven, when it comes out of a barrel its on its own from that point onwards, unfortunately we cant measure the rotation speed of a pellet at say 30-50 yrd down range but I would guess there is a relationship between rate of spin and length of barrel.

When you look at the group from a gun with a 7 inch barrel compared to say a 19 inch barrel, when using the same pellet doing the same velocity, the 19 inch barrel will put in a better group at 40-50 yrd in my experience.

A good example is a comparison of an fn12 to say an fn19 go shoot a few 45 yrd groups with both I think the longer gun will take wind better hence being the more accurate.;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  15. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ill give you an example I have a .177 hw100tk obviously very short barrel.

I also have a regged Mk2 Rapid with a 19" .177.

They both do 11.3 ft/ibs with airarms field, they are both regged, they will both shoot one hole groups at 30yrds.

But push that to 40 things change a bit, then 45 and 50 is a game changer, the rapid seems better at range.

So My hw barrel is good the gun is consistent everything is as it should be, but the Rapid has a longer barrel so inmo that makes it take wind better,

Some people like to blame either the scope or the pellet or barrel crown, etc etc I think its often overlooked that one barrel will surely result in a different rate of spin to another and this has an effect on accuracy at range.

16. El Caro

El Caro Keyboard Hero

Even with different lengths of barrel, given the rate of twist of the rifling is the same, the rate of spin of the pellet will be the same. It cannot be otherwise:).

17. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Make of barrel?
    What barrel is your HW wearing?
    What make of barrel is your Rapid wearing?

Different barrels have different rifiling cuts - Lowther Walther and BSA use lands and grooves, Anschutz (many Rapids use these, unless they have been rebarrelled) use a knife edge rifling. I am sure these have a bearing on long range accuracy

18. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

That doesnt matter the twist rate can be the same, but on different legth barrels will spin pellets at a different rates, at given ranges thats just physics its a bit like saying drop 3 apples out of the sky and they will all fall at the same speed, the atmosphere creates the variable immediately as the projectile leaves the barrel.

Its not the fact that a few inches makes much more difference to velocity as hammer/strength or reg pressure determins this on the individual rifle, more the fact for a few more inches the pellet is being driven rather than experiencing drag, in other words with the tiny ammounts of power an airgun makes a few inches on a barrel can make a world of difference, if we could measure the spin on a pellet downrange all barrels would spin a pellet at slightly different rates, the difference may be minute from one to another but it would be there im sure.

19. El Caro

El Caro Keyboard Hero

20. metalman

metalman Big Poster