1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I ended up getting a bow

Discussion in 'Archery' started by WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun, Jan 16, 2017.

1. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun Engaging Member

After much arguing, discussion on here (in which pretty much all aspects of my character were questioned) and faffing about, it was decided that an airgun wasn't going to happen for at least a few years until my son is a bit older.

So we got him a basic compound bow for Christmas - A Barnett Banshee. He's 8 years old and a strong lad but seriously struggles to pull it right back but he's rapidly getting there - no problem for me however and we were soon improving in our groups (I help him shoot) with our shots. What struck me was how powerful this little 25lbs bow is - it almost flings arrows through our 3" thick foam target; one "stray"arrow ended up in the field behind us (owned by a farmer we know, we have permission); not just slightly into the field but a good 40 metres into it (and our garden isn't small)! And an arrow in the fence needed digging out with a knife; this is with "safety" points which are fairly blunt.

Anyway I did some investigation and decided to get a bow that fits me better - so I am awaiting a Hoyt Ignition with a sight, rest, 5 arrows, some string for a D-loop and a wrist release. It's amusing that this can actually fell fairly sizeable game whereas a .22 is out of it's depth beyond a squirrel, rabbit or medium sized bird but for some reason it's okay!! So something to get into - I'll be getting certified ASAP so I can shoot at my local club and also learn alongside my son as he grows (as it happens the Hoyt will be ideal for him when he outgrows the Barnett).

So a slightly odd route to a new sport but I sort of got there in the end - no good for rabbiting or similar as it's totally illegal but I'll enjoy target shooting and suspect I'll head down the field/3D route.

2. ukglyn

ukglyn Big Poster

Enjoy your bow, just remember it is illegal to hunt with a bow in the uk though.

3. Wayne Dunstan

Wayne Dunstan Posting Addict

Used to love my Archery, had a hoyt pro38 fantastic bow used to shoot out to 100 yards at club, had to give it up because my previous job pretty much destroyed my elbows why I got back into airguns, have fun and enjoy your new sport.

4. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

Yep - hence mentioning it. No hunting, just target shooting.

5. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Is it one with rubber suckers on the arrows? Or did she allow you to have pointy bits ? :D

6. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

:D

This is the weird thing; even my sons now has fairly sharp arrows: it would kill someone if it hit them in the right place.
    mons was delivered earlier and it's an absolute beast; the power is incredible. This would do considerably more damage than a sub 12lbs-ft .22 air rifle yet it's allowed in this household.
    I'm currently pretty useless but getting coaching ASAP. And the arrows are very pointy indeed. Most go straight through our 3" thick foam target and some have almost gone through the large backing barrier I have set up (an enormous but very thick cardboard box that our T6 VW camper bike rack was delivered in.

Its going to be fun; actually it already is!

7. Snowbeast

Snowbeast Donator

awesome! What poundage are you shooting at? I have a PSE Vendetta set at 65# and at 25m it goes 6-12inches into my target.
    We are allowed to hunt in South Africa.
    I respect the laws in your country so I won't talk much about hunting with a bow, but will mention an arrow will pass through a Kudu.

My PSE dream Season would shoot a 500gr arrow at 280fps which is 87fpe.

Enjoy the time shooting with your child!

8. ukglyn

ukglyn Big Poster

Sorry ive just re read your post, i read it wrong the first time, where you mentioned that it could kill fairly big game. I now see you were comparing it power wise to an air rifle.

Ive been tempted in the past to get a bow, but SO far have resited the temptation.

9. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

This may sound dumb (many dumb comments will be made by yours truly until I get the hang of things) but I'd asked it to be set to 28"draw length and 50lbs weight. However I've noticed the draw length bolts are on the 25 mark - the "factory" figure is 25" and 70lbs. It was harder than expected to pull back (probably sounds a bit sad but I am pretty strong after a lifetime of weights, martial arts, etc) so I'm wondering if it's on the factory setting full draw weight? I've emailed them and asked.

I'm getting coaching from the local archery club ASAP - looks like I need it. My first comedy error was installing the arrow rest on the wrong side (front rather than back) side of the bow....

The blurb tells me it shoots at 300fps.

10. Snowbeast

Snowbeast Donator

Did the coach set it for you? The idea in Archery is to have the bow set up exactly to your body size. I measure out as a 28" draw length, but I have a wrecked shoulder from a huge mountain bike fall so I shoot at 27.5". It's the same principle as shooting a springer. Every shot will be shot from the same position.
    Your coach should set you up in your first lesson and then focus on form from there. If you are still unhappy with the Draw Length I will quickly research how your cams work and let you know how to adjust them (each bow is marked slightly different.)

don't feel bad for not pulling 70lbs off the bat, you use completely different muscles to pull a bow. It's all in the shoulders.
    I started at 55lbs.
    I personally shoot 60lbs in the off season as I can shoot more targets for longer and then work my way up to 65 or 70lbs in hunting season. when hunting it's just a couple shots to sight in on the day and one at your quarry.

If the blurb says 300fps its usually measured at 70lbs and 30" Draw length. I cant remember what the arrow weight used to measure is.

Once you are happy with your setup (Draw Length and Poundage) then get arrows specific to that.
    I'm racing off to an appointment in the village next door, but feel free to pm me your email addy and I'll send you some literature.

11. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

Wow thanks snow! I measured my draw length on a couple of ways and averaged out to 28.4" so set it to 28" last night which actually cranks the draw weight up slightly but it's still manageable.
    Waiting to hear back from a potential coach; I'll also need (I think) to install a peep sight which looks like a job for someone with some experience and add a d-loop; waiting for the string to arrive! Quite a few extras needed!

12. Ashley.H

Ashley.H Busy Member

Glad to see you managed to treat yourself, although not an airgun yet, but some archery seems to be a good alternative for you both. Hope you enjoy it :up:

13. simonc_here

simonc_here Engaging Member

I'd get someone to do the D loop for you as well. You don't want that coming loose at full draw!
    Also Max competition peak draw weight for compound is 60lbs.

Simon

14. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Buy a air rifle, tie a bit on string on it and tell the wife it a bow:D, enjoy your bow :up:

15. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

Fairly sure I'm a fair way off competing!! But good to know; easy to wind it down to 60.
    As a Coastguard, I'm fairly careful with knots (wrong/badly tied knot = death) but I will get it checked over.

Here it is;

View attachment 151744

The peep sight arrived today just in time for two hours coaching tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  16. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

Now that's what I call a bow:up:

17. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

First coaching session yesterday; absolutely loved it! Fitted the peep sight (very fiddly), was given a large shopping list of things I need (more arrows, quiver, bow stand, a scope eventually, bow case and more!) then shot a load of arrows. Only close but was gob smacked at the accuracy even in the hands of an idiot like me.

More coaching then I'll join the club and have "free" access to the range, set in a lovely country estate nearby.
    Looks like I'll need a bigger bow at some stage; mine is quite small and the camouflage (not my choice!) might not be allowed in some competitions but I'm a way off that yet.

Got a much better target boss for home too; multi layered foam that easily stops the arrows.

18. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

Accuracy improving now I've "zeroed" the sight and stuck the peep sight in.
    Also had to order a pile more bits and bobs!

19. Ratdog

Ratdog Banned

Had lots of bows mate and they are good fun, crossbows too.
    Trad gear and compound.
    Compound are stupid accurate today.
    Shame about the hunting laws as with the right arrow head an arrow is a match to a bullet.

Encourage your son, my daughter became an excellent shot.

R.

20. WifeWontLetMeGetanAirgun

And now I've ordered a Hoyt Ruckus for my 8 year old boy! He came along to coaching and loved it so we get to learn something new together!
    Did a bit of scoring and got a fair few 9s (and a couple of 10s) at 20 yards so an okay start.
    I've also got a few bits on the way - a new sight, scope and some other bits and bobs. I've cleared over a grand so far...!!
    But really enjoying it all.
    More coaching this Saturday.