1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

I Can Feel It Sucking Me In..

Discussion in 'Archery' started by cloverleaf, Jun 24, 2018.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Had my third casual go at archery yesterday at a local fete. The first try was at the same event a few years ago; where repeated bruising to my forearm from the string put me off. I had a pop at a stag do a few weeks ago and that was more enjoyable as I had a bit more tuition, although the gear was predictably a bit ropey.

Finally, yesterday I got some great advice and was rewarded with some fairly promising groups; managing to drop my arrows consistently into a 6"ish circle at the 10-15yd we were shooting. Not great by airgun standards, but considering that I've probably fired less than 50 arrows in my life and the bows are un-sighted, I was pretty pleased.

The targets were maybe 3' square and the poor b*****s running the shoot were frequently out with metal detectors behind them trying to retrieve stray arrows - so evidently not everyone was enjoying my level of success :p

Really tempted to pay the local club a visit now as they were very friendly and encouraging, while the prospect of being able to casually dip my toe into the water of a fresh, potentially more simple interest really appeals.

That is all :)

Redcap 114, Scott, David M and 3 others like this.
  2. foxtrott

foxtrott Big Poster

Ive heard Bsa are starting to do bows if you fancy one:eek:
    Just joking I've done some compound bow shooting with fibre optic sights etc and long bow shooting it's a enjoyable hobby with a lot more skill than using a pcp so give it a go why not

cloverleaf likes this.
  3. SteveO

SteveO Account Parked

cloverleaf and foxtrott like this.
  4. Akita177

Akita177 Account parked

cloverleaf likes this.
  5. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

6. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

Go for it. I stopped principally because my hands couldn't take the punishment. I shot oriental bows, no sights, no Olympic nonsense with sights. IMHO, bows should be shot instinctively like catapults, a sort of martial art, otherwise a rifle is better. Though stick-in-the-mud people I met couldn't see that POV and were almost to a man/woman opposed to gun ownership.:D
    Archery clubs can be a bit up themselves, again IMHO, but it's a good sport. I found my fitness was boosted massively. Hours of walking to retrieve arrows is exercise and it most certainly builds upper body strength.
    I presume you know that you have to do an Archery GB course over six weeks 'to get your ticket'? The drop-out rate when I did that and the following few months was something over 90 per cent.

cloverleaf likes this.
  7. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

It's something I've always wanted to have a go at, but never have. The opportunity has never presented itself and the urge has obviously never been strong enough for me to make the effort.

Go for it Mike; it sounds like you're going to be a 'natural'.

cloverleaf likes this.
  8. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Engaging Member

I have always fancied giving it a go, I am very new to Air Rifles (2 weeks) so I will try and learn to shoot first

TheNewbieShooter and cloverleaf like this.
  9. stew87

stew87 Certified

I looked into archery few years ago after much the same reasons you have a few casual goes and wanting to get into it a bit more looked at my local clubs they are full and had a massive waiting list :(

Bit much for my small garden really although the wife does it with scouts now so I may try and get into it again

Best of luck I don't think the outfit above is mandatory though ;)

cloverleaf likes this.
  10. tt123

tt123 Engaging Member

Archery can be good fun, and pretty challenging. Some of the clubs do 3d field target shooting too.

cloverleaf and foxtrott like this.
  11. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Hazel cut at this time year makes great 'bows & arrows' well it did 60 odd years ago ... :thumb:

Have fun Mike ..;)

cloverleaf likes this.
  12. mic123

mic123 Member

Depends what you are shooting. If you are still havi ng the slap on the forearm, bend your arm slightly or your bowarm hand knuckles on the riser should be about 45 degrees , this moves your forearm out of the way of the string when you release

cloverleaf likes this.
  13. plinkerton

plinkerton Busy Member

Your a long time dead, do what you can for as long as you can as a long time dead.

Just join a club and enjoy!

cloverleaf likes this.
  14. shauny

shauny Top Poster

if you doing right,you will not need an arm guard .keep it simple,its much more enjoyable
    "robin hood" style with no sights or gizzmos, also not that expensive.im using this....

Attached Files:

15. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Pepe Le Pew

I've always fancied giving archery a go!

Like you I've had a few informal plays but I think the Mrs would kill me if I took something else up......

cloverleaf likes this.
  16. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Bow Sling Arrows :thumb:

Ray

cloverleaf likes this.
  17. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Cheers guys :)

As usual I've looked at all manner of hardware but speccing a bow seems like a lot more work than buying a rifle (well, there are a lot more variables although hopefully fewer quality issues!). In light of this and my complete lack of knowledge I'd do well to start at the bottom and use club gear until I really know what I want.

Unfortunately it seems that the club hosting the event at the weekend is all out of beginner's courses this year (which seems a little strange given the time of year, but there we go), so I might be out of luck for the foreseeable. Tbh I doubt there's much stopping me from buying all the gear and using it outside at my shooting club, however I'd welcome the tuition and opportunity to try a range of gear, while I think going all-in to start with could be counterproductive and kill some of the enjoyment.

For the time being I'm loving the simplicity of a decent recurve, however if I get into it I can see how the additional performance of a compound would appeal. Having looked at some of the gear available there's so much choice, I'd not have a clue where to start. Hopefully there are some decent European / even British makes as all the yank stuff seems typically over-priced as usual.

Anyway, will actively pursue it at some point as I've finally been pushed over the edge, however I also have lots of other stuff to be getting on with too; so there's no rush!

Sky likes this.
  18. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

I tried it once and found it difficult to keep still, I was all a Quiver :D

Ray

19. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

I was looking into this recently. There's the cost of the initial course (required) £60 then fees are £96/year plus £47 Archery GB membership (compulsary). Didn't fancy lashing out over £200 just to join a club only open a couple of evenings a week. May be cheaper or more expensive near you.

20. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

I brought a good take down recurve bow and nearly all the equipment for about £250 from Archery World in Preston, including 1/2 an hour of one to one tuition back in 2010, I later brought a number of books written by renowned archers as it is quite a technical sport setting up the bow (brace, tiller etc) and matching everything (arrows, sights) to work together, as well as learning how to shoot the damn thing but learning new stuff is great when you get the results.
    The take down bow I have only has 22 lbs limbs which allows me plenty of practice with out getting tired or straining muscles, and is also low enough power to allow safe practice at home with a suitable backstop, with the bow being a take down I can up grade the limbs strength to suit future archery activities.
    I would like to eventually go to instinctive bow shooting (Hoyt recurve hunting bow maybe) but for now having sights helps me to learn roughly where I should be aiming at different ranges, I really don't practice nearly enough but whenever I get the bow out it is a really rewarding session.

Attached Files:

Squidwards Ghost likes this.