1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

i am struggling badly with shooting HELP

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by valboskie, Jun 29, 2014.

1. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

where to start.
    i have been back shooting just over 2 years i bought an air arms s400f classic .177 and thought it was brilliant i only used it in our indoor range and our out door range shooting from under cover ,i ordered a ginb stock for my s400 right away but it took about 4 months to come ,in that time i bought a sfs stage 2 tuned 97kt and i started shooting hft last year and shot the recoiling class with the 97 and a hawke sr6 scope.
    my best score was a 47 which was my first ever shoot,i shot in 8 events and a part from one event i was in the 40s and was very happy with that.

This year i wanted to kick on and get a 50 that was the goal .
    at xmas i bought a webley venom lazaglide hw95 in a warren edwards ft stock but my wife surprised me with an hw98 and the shop fitted a vmach kit as well a brilliant present i thought so i used the venom rifle for a few weeks just plinking and moved it on so i could concentrate on my 98 .
    i bought an eb sniper for this rifle ,
    my scores this season have plummeted i am averaging 35 it is really getting to me ,when i practice on the plinking range everything is fine i hit what i aim at mostly ,

so 2 weeks ago i took drastic action i bought an air arms mpr with fac cylinder and ev2 butt plate and some rowan bits i thought this is the rifle for me
    on the zero range it is so accurate tiny groups are the norm its brilliant .
    i could not decide which scope to buy for it so i bought another eb sniper as i had been using one on my hw98, we have a permanent ukahft coarse set up at our club so on friday and today i made up a range card so i could shoot it again it had been set up and used 4 weeks ago in a sarpa shoot and the targets have not been changed yet i shot a 35 on my home coarse with the 98 gutted .
    i set up paper in our indoor range at 8 10 12 15 17 yards parallaxed my scope to 23 yards i zeroed at 25 yards and got to work,
    i got my aim point for 8 yards 2.5 mildots hold over and took a few shots they were all going two pellets width left so i changed the angle and moved the cheek piece about checked my zero but could not get any change the shots still went 2 pellets width left,
    it was the exact same at 8 10 12 and 15 at 17 yards it was fine just less than a pellet width left i could live with that .
    it was so frustrating if i aim right the 2 pellets width it hits spot on but that's not ideal if there is any wind trying to work everything out .

i went and tried the coarse twice today and could only manage a 41 and 43 i don't know what to do i was so p122ed off today i was thinking of selling up and throwing in the towel and go back to playing golf.
    in 2 years i have had 3 hw97s 1 hw98s 1 tx200 mk3 1 venom hw95 with a 98 barrel an s400 and now an mpr
    scopes i have are a hawke sr6, 2 hawke airmax ev map6 hawke eclipse hawke panorama half mildot mtc viper 10x42 2 eb snipers

i honestly do not know what to do or to try next i just might not have what it takes or i am just a 2h1t shot .
    i enjoy shooting but its beginning to stop being fun
    my last shoot at cloybank 3 weeks ago i got a new record of 13 ones in a row the two guys i was shooting with were trying to encourage me and will the targets to go down it was just embarrassing in the end
    please someone give me some words of wisdom lol Help

2. Scott srs

Scott srs Well-Known Member

Dust of the golf clubs ?

3. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I cannot help but please don't go back to playing golf,no one deserves that :D

4. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

It's sounding a bit like you have a little crossover. Dose it start to go to the right after zero range?

if it does then try some BKL mounts they sorted the same problem for me only mine was right then going left after zero range.

5. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

im not sure it was windy today our indoor rang is only 25 yards my zero .
    i just bought a set of sports match mounts for the scope.
    i have never heard of cross over so that's something new .
    thank you for the help

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I can't give you any HFT specific advice but I'm familiar with this scenario in my own bell target shooting. Last season was my second season, and I started well, getting a "possible" (long story, but basically a very high score) just before Christmas. I was very pleased to have made a good score and thought that I was over the hump and could reasonably expect to shoot pretty well from there on in.

How wrong could I be? I shot disastrously until nearly the end of the season. I tried everything (practising, changing hold, changing clothing, changing stance, adapting my breathing, adapting my trigger technique) and all that happened was I got so wound up that I considered giving it up. It was driving me mad that despite shooting twice a week that my score got worse. This continued right up to the point where I stopped caring whether I got dropped from the team, beating my opponent or making any sort of score, at which point things got markedly better. I didn't get another possible last season but I did make some pretty damned good scored, even if I say so myself.

You know you can shoot; you know your rifles are accurate. Neither if these is the problem. Target shooting (at least the sorts I know anything about) is a psychological sport - it's not the rifle or the target that causes you problems - it's you. I think, and I could be wrong but I don't think I am, that you are pressuring yourself too much and are over-thinking the shots, worrying about your last score and thinking about your next. The only thing that counts when you are making the shot is THAT shot. What you scored on the last shot will not change, but if you worry about it it may distract you sufficiently from the shot you should be concentrating on. Certainly with bell target shooting, and possibly with HFT, it's shooters that beat themselves by pressuring themselves into making mistakes. It's easy to focus on a whole competition or round and worry that your score should be higher, but that only leads to it falling further.

I think the first thing you should do is a bit of plinking, and don't worry about misses. Just relax and have fun - that's what shooting's about, right?

Let us know how you get on, fella.

Cheers,

JR

7. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

what jkr said,....i reckon is a mindset mate,....shoot a targets like you dont give a chuff...in fact ..."dont give a chuff"...your still doing summat you enjoy,...whats a score dude....?....just numbers on paper,...let the mind take over, with pahhs and what ifs and it all becomes very important....do what you enjoy and dont fret too much, :up:..you have the tackle,...and you know you have the ability,...;)...dont ffs pick up the golf clubs again,...you,ll only wish you had a rifle with you while you were ruining a good walk :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  8. milek

milek Honorary Member

Don't fight the parallax Val, work with it. I have to adjust accordingly up to around 17 yards with my setup and as long as I know the distance(ish) I know where to aim. I learnt recently that you can't buy your way out of it as every PCP I had was better than me. I paired up with some quality shooters who gave me advice about my shooting and how to break the course up into three sections and tackle each section in turn. The best advice I ever gave myself was to not come off the zero range until I was absolutely 100% sure in my zero. As you say, you have enough to think about with everything else including the wind to have any doubts about your poi. The lad's have said it above, stop beating yourself up and try and enjoy it more. I got a 45 today if that's any consolation.

9. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

Can you work out from where you are hitting the face plate why you are missing the kz, is it errors in rangefinding, mis judging wind or maybe the wobbles. What targets do you find the hardest to hit, the shorter ones or the longer ones. Try playing with chairgun to bring all your aim points closer together. 1 MD covers all my aim points between 10 & 45yds using a 37yd zero

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

I think sometimes folks get caught out with the differences between plinking ranges and actual competition courses. Whilst most practice ranges have target positions mostly mapped around 5 and 10 yard increments, a good course setter will set out at distances like 14, 23, 37 etc. and with a mix of kill sizes possibly out to the maximum permitted.
    I've scored from 53 down to 38 in competitions throughout the past season, and honestly say that every shot I've missed I can attribute to either mis ranging or under estimating the wind. This isn't down to my equipment it's just the fact I don't practice enough to score at the higher level. Like JRK says, forget what you've scored before, relax and enjoy your shooting.
    Regards,Stu.

11. radiofan

radiofan Engaging Member

Regarding the two pellet-widths POI chang, it could be one or more of 6 things:

1. Bent barrel, unlikely, especially if it happens with the other rifles.
    2. Wonky mounts. Make sure the mounts are the same type and are screwed from the same side.
    3. Scope mounted at a slant. Use the plumb line and spirit level method to set the scope vertical.
    4. Parallax error. Most likely. Unavoidable when you can't adjust the scope. When shooting, make sure that your eyeball is centred in the eyepiece of the scope. Pigs ears/Scope maximisers can help. I pull back untill a dark shadow appears around the edge of the image, then center it.
    5. Pellets spiral. Sometimes stabilize at distance. Consider different pellets or a stripper.
    6. Crap shot. Stick to one gun, practise lots.

As for yout HFT scores, don't be too disheartened, the rules keep changing, making the courses harder year after year. Work on rangefinding technique.

12. loki_79

loki_79 Donator

I agree, I had the same problem and fixed it 100% with BKL mounts. As said above, it should also go right by a similar amount (2mm) at 40 yards if your zero is 25 yards. If you want to make double sure, you could take your mounts off and rotate both through 180 degrees, then you should start missing on the right at close range, and left at distance.

13. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

Start with the basics ,
    are you shooting left or right handed ?
    have you a domanent eye ?

14. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

i shoot right handed but i am left eye domanent
    i have another scope i could try with different mounts to see if that makes a difference .
    it might as said above be parallax error .
    at 35 yards i needed to aim left edge on a 35mm kill i put that down to the light breeze i said wind earlier but it was under 4mph nearer 2 to 3 at 40 and 45 half a mildot 0r just under to the left .
    i hope the barrel is not bent i have only bought the rifle the mounts are new and i have had the scope 4 days
    i am using the pellets recommended to me by the previous owner craig-p as he pellet tested and these worked best in the rifle aa diablo fields
    there is an air stripper on the rifle .
    i used a plumb line and 2 spirit levels i put the plumb line at 20 yards put one spirit level on the scope turret the other on the stock behind the bolt
    got the 2 bubbles in the middle and checked the plumb line was good i had to turn the scope very slightly left but the bubble was still between the lines in the spirit level
    i have another set of sports match medium mounts on my other eb sniper i could try those also a set of high mounts .

with the rifle shooting left i feel i cant trust it when im shooting the close targets and it maybe shooting right after my zero i need to sort this out
    atb
    David

15. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

I think that a lot of it's in our heads. I hear this time and time again at my club, and have experienced it myself. You shoot really well on practise cards, but as soon as it's a competition card, it all goes to pot. I do think that there's a lot to be said about having a couldn't care less attitude when shooting competition, and don't try any harder than you do in practise. Saying that, I go through periods when I shoot really well, then I shoot poorly. Sometimes I'm rock steady and sometimes my body's shaky. We are not machines, and there are many things that can effect us. We all have bad days and good days. I can appreciate how you feel by wanting to throw the towel in. I shot terribly today, and it really p****d me off, but I know that if I keep at it, I will improve. Hang in there buddy, and don't take it too seriously. ;)

16. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

Does your MPR have a barrel band

17. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

yes the mpr has a barrel band the previous owner fitted a fac cylinder to the rifle and a fac barrel band
    cheers
    David

18. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

Can you try it without the band, is it putting a strain on the barrel?

19. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

my main problem is the rifle shooting nearly 10mm to the left at 8 to 16 yards if i could sort that then i know its me at fault not my equipment
    cheers
    David

20. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

i am new to pcps but i will give it a go removing the band and seeing if that helps