1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

hw99s

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tom_mitchell, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tom_mitchell

tom_mitchell Well-Known Member

hi guys im going to look at one of these rifles on Thursday from a localish dealer its second hand and is 195 quid..

just wondering as you lot seem to be experts is there anything I should be looking for with it? and does anyone know much about the dealer Essex sporting in Chelmsford?

heres a link to the gun trader add...
    http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Weihrauch_Air-Rifle_Hw-99s_For-Sale_140114112925001
    does anyone think I can get something better for a 200 quid budget?

thanks once again

Tom :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. JD

JD Donator

Edit, there wasn't a link when I first replyed.

It looks tidy enough, ask for the rifle to be put across a chrono,
    to find out if its full power or there abouts.

3. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

if it comes with a decent 3-9 scope, something like a hawke... not bad price..

but as said above its near enough to full price to just buy a new one...

edit...

ad just appeared and comes with scope and mod and sling xo not bad as far as i can see..

ya should get some kind of warrenty from a dealer should any problems arise..

4. tom_mitchell

5. tom_mitchell

the dealer isn't sure on the age of it. can any of you give any advice on that. every pic I look at online has engraving on the side and this one doesn't. hoping its not really old and in need of servicing etc....

6. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

that barrel looks short compared to the 99 i had...

anyone with more experience of 99s care to comment...

7. leaky5

leaky5 Donator

Check between the cocking link and cylinder for signs of rubbing.

8. tom_mitchell

I wondered that too... this is why im here asking :)

9. 177

177 Donator

It's an older model - the newer ones are chequered.

That means it may or may not have had the cocking linkage galling issue sorted.

On the plus side, it may well have, because someone has gone to the trouble of shortening it, having a moderator fitted, and the sling barrel fitting looks like a decent one, which is encouraging.

Ask the vendor for a chrono report and indicate your interest. If they say they can't or won't, move along, nothing to see...

Looking at features instead of price, that's a massive scope to put on a small rifle and it's not an AO model so it will need manually parallax adjusting to 30 yards or thereabouts to be of use. Even then, some diffusion may occur on a scope of that size.

It's not a great price but it's not too bad either, considering it's coming from a dealer.

10. tom_mitchell

so I currently have a Chinese side lever which is what im replacing with this next rifle... ive recently purchased a hawke sport hd 3-9x40 scope which I could transfer across so do u think its worth going for this one or should I just invest the little bit more and go for a new one and then look at moderators and slings myself? I quite fancy one of leakys paracord slings...

11. 177

177 Donator

That's not my call to make - it's obviously not a new gun but it also looks to be in good fettle from the pictures.

Id suggest you do what I mentioned earlier - ask the vendor for a chrono report with a view of buying. Dangle the carrot and see what they say.

If they can't be arsed then you shouldn't deal with them on general principle.

If the chrono report shows an unusually high or low power, or extreme velocity spreads, walk away.

If it's bang on the money and only a few FPS from shot to shot it might be worth a punt.

12. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

what ya gonna be using the 99 for?

most of the noise mine made was from the spring and a mod wont help that...

from what ive read they can be made quieter but takes a bit of work...

13. tom_mitchell

to be fair to start with im only using it at petes air gun farm to the range. with the hope that ill get out into some permissions at some point in the future... ill ask them about a chrono report and see what they say Ive asked them a few questions about it so far this is the last reply I got from them..

We have a 6 month warrantee with any used guns that we sell, we do a standard test fire and examine the gun for any major wear on the outside. The gun has been test fired and groups well and is accurate. However we do not have the facilities on site for you to test fire

14. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Galling issue! I was under the impression that Weihrauchs were perfect and didn't give any trouble.That's what some members would have us think.

15. tom_mitchell

just replied to them again with this hi guys sorry to bother you once again im just quite the finicky sort :) is there any chance of seeing the results of a chrono report of the air rifle just to see what figures its bringing back..

I am deffinatly interested in picking it up on Thursday if the figures come back positive...

thankyou once again for your time

Tom Mitchell

16. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

[​IMG]

17. tom_mitchell

what is a galling issue if u don't mind me asking?

18. JD

JD Donator

If your a biggish sort of bloke Tom ? a rifle better suited to your size, might be something to consider.

19. 177

177 Donator

Ummm... the galling issue on the HW99s has been very well covered on pretty much every air rifle forum (including this one) and most of the magazines.

I've not seen any defenders of it but I have seen a lot of concerned owners or people who have been interested in the HW99s but who have refrained from buying into it until the problem is/was resolved.

These days most folks recommend tuning in the same sentence as Weihrauch, so brand perception remains strong but an awareness of how to improve on the products is now commonplace.

20. tom_mitchell

hahaha im so confused now so I have a galling issue (don't know what that is) and is the 99 quite a small rifle? im 5ft 9 but fairly broad shouldered. (lots of my life carrying a Bergen)..

so let me go at this another way... is there a rifle anyone would recommend? I also looked at some gamos but people seem to say the quality on those are not so good either...