1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Hw99s Project , Advice ...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by AndyGFitness, Jun 27, 2019.

1. AndyGFitness

AndyGFitness Measure twice ... still fXck it up

I have had a Hw99s for a while now and it is a great little rifle ! It is one of the recent models so it doesn’t have the galling issue so don’t have to worry about that, It is a .22 with a hawke 3-9x40 scope , using AA field pellets.

I just want to make clear the rifle is brilliant as is and Im having it as a project because i want to make it feel more like my own not because of any issues .

I am toying with a few ideas but there’s a lot of people on here with good ideas so wanted to see what people thought would make it good project...

I was thinking I could

BARREL
    - remove the iron sights
    -add a barrel shroud ( if anyone knows anyone/ anywhere that’s good that’s always a help)
    -possibly add a moderator or just use a shroud similar to the look of a gamo maxxim elite ,

STOCK
    I like the stock as is and will keep that way but I would look into gettin one in synthetic black just for the choice tbh

SCOPE
    I like how light the rifle is so because of that I will probably use it with pest control round the 10-30m range so I don’t need a scope with particularly a lot of range , I am not sure but I like the idea of something similar to UTG 3-9x32 bug buster scope ... doesn’t have to be that make or anything but I like that short and compact styling such a light rifle.

TRIGGER
    The trigger I think is brilliant ! I am happy with it but if anyone has tried anything and found major benefits I’d like to know...

INTERNALS

I see that there’s a lot of internal kits that you can do at home from and I see one brand popping up again and again and it’s tbt ? Or if anyone else prefers another kit ?

Or

Do I send it off to somewhere like Sandwell sports and have a shop/person do it but I am fairly new to air rifles I wouldn’t learn anything this way ...

I want the rifle to still run in the mid - high 11 ft lbs in .22

You
    This rifle is going to be my new project so any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated! I know there are a lot of people on here who know a lot about air rifles so I hope you can give me some advice ...

I know the post is a bit long but thank you for reading

2. Carlos76

Carlos76 Pro Poster

Get in touch with blackmax he is our hw guru:thumb:

Blackmax and AndyGFitness like this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Hi Andy,

Galling..... here’s a test.... sweep the barrel up and down really fast for around 50 times. You’ll know for sure it’s not galling, but I’d be surprised if it isn’t.

Barrel... I had a bespoke mod made for mine by @mattw975 and its superb.

Scope... I have a 4-12x40 AO Airmax on my 99 and it’s superb. But we all like different scopes.

Trigger... post it to @Blackmax and he’ll return it in a few days stripped, cleaned, polished and correctly set. You think it’s good now, wait until Andy has had a play with it!

Internals... @Tinbum TbT standard kit is all it needs, worth ordering a new piston and breech seal at the same time. You’ll likely not need them but good to have as spares.

Send it to Sandwell? Nahhh! Send it to @Blackmax - he’s mastered the 99 and can do all the anti galling stuff too.

4. Carlos76

Carlos76 Pro Poster

Been searching for a nice 99 meself:D

5. sagalout

sagalout Apparently I need more guns.

@mikeyhall1 can you/do you use your mod as a cocking handle? How is it attached? Thanks.

6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

I personally wouldn’t use any mod as a cocking handle as I think with most, if not all it’s all to easy to apply adverse pressure to a mod and misalign it.

This one slips on after the front sight groves have been filed away and secured with a grub screw.

Blackmax, mattw975 and sagalout like this.
  7. SeanE

SeanE Insert whitty comment here.

Inspiration photo :thumb:

Attached Files:

8. Pixels

Pixels Engaging Member

I have a full length baffled shroud on mine made by @bl4de and it's a beauty. Fits over the open sight groves. Nice and chunky looking, which I like, and whisper quiet.

hw99.jpg

It doesn't go right up to the block because that's where my sling attaches. Were I to order another for my Imp, I would have it go the full length and find a barrel band to fit over the shroud.

I have used Wonkey Donkey for my HW99s drop in kit needs and they're perfect. Less preload than factory springs, easier to cock and just as powerful. I've not used TbT kits but he has a reputation for making great drop in kits. Honestly, whoever you buy a drop in kit from, Tinbum, Wonkey Donkey, Welsh Willy; it will transform the gun. They're easy to install yourself, there are plenty of stripdown videos on youtube to guide you through it.

9. sagalout

sagalout Apparently I need more guns.

Thanks, Mikey

Oooooh, I really like that @Pixels I neeeeeeeeed one. @bl4de PM coming your way :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  10. Nifty77

Nifty77 Engaging Member

I'm thinking of taking the lazy man approach to a project 99...! (Post coming in the Wanted section soon.)
    I barely get any time to shoot, let alone take on a project - so am happy to forego the satisfaction of doing the job myself!
    Good luck to you on you project - I'm sure you'll learn a lot on the journey, and there are some fantastic people on this forum who will be only to happy to help you out.

11. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

The 99 is so simple to strip I really would consider having a go yourself. If the power is good and the spring is straight then all you need is a standard guide set. Strip, degrease, polish the piston and relube (with Bum-Slide if you're feeling flash)

If yu don't want to do it yourself then you can take it to Blackmax if you're in that area, or post it to us. We are currently booking about two weeks ahead but get the rifle done and on it's way within one or two working days.:)

Blackmax likes this.
  12. PhatMan

PhatMan Posting Addict

Andy,

Why do you need power to be 11.5 - 12 ft.lb ?

The less margin you have, the more the chance of being over the limit with some pellet or other.

1) There is b****r all difference in trajectory between 11 & 12 ft.lb.

2) If you hunt, the critters will not tell the difference between 11 & 12 ft.lb.

If you insist on going to the max, please get yourself a 'chrono' !!

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

Burner, bob4026 and Blackmax like this.
  13. sithe79

sithe79 Donator

If you decide to send your trigger to @Blackmax I would definitely recommend getting him to install an extra setback brass Rowan trigger. The trigger tune is awesome, and the setback trigger really makes a difference. Good luck with your project!
    Atb,
    Simon

bob4026 and Blackmax like this.
  14. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Firstly and most importantly for me is to mirror what Russ said and that's reduce your expectations power wise to 11-11.2. The likelihood is the power will increase a little anyway as the gun runs in. The other risks have already been outlined to you, suffice to say stay legal.

As for kits I'd recommend a TBT kit, they're an excellent cost effective way of making a significant difference to your gun. While you're at it you can kill two birds with one stone and look at Nick's barrel shrouds.

As for galling it's not a matter of if, it's a case of when so I'd get yourself up to speed on the many tutorials and threads on here regarding the matter.

The Rekord trigger as it is is a great unit, if not still the best on a springer, even after sixty odd years since its conception. Correctly adjusted, the Rekord is excellent but can be improved by tuning, I've put a tutorial on the forum if you search. Correct tuning and lubrucation will prevent wear and corrosion.

I hope this helps.

Andy

15. shauny

shauny Top Poster

if you do another and want to fit a sling over the shroud,use some shotgun barrel sling mounts

Attached Files:

Gary Jones, sagalout and Pixels like this.
  16. Neil Curtis

Neil Curtis Well-Known Member

Mine is a perfect example of forum tuned.Shoots sweet as a nut at a steady 11.3ft/lb on superdomes. Tbt inside and matty mod up front. These guys will see you right. Enjoy the gun mate.

Howlin Wolf and Blackmax like this.
  17. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

As this ^^^.

18. AndyGFitness

Thank you everyone for the comments so far !

blackmax + phatman

i may be completely wrong but i had been told that in .22 it runs best at that ... im not fussed on the power because either way the rabbits gonna drop if your shots on target. i was going off advice from a local range member ... there may be a few things i get wrong but thats why i am glad i posted on here ! im more than open to other peoples ideas and advice and it may not seem t but i do greatly appriciate it.

robthedog and Howlin Wolf like this.
  19. shauny

shauny Top Poster

the .22 will run nice right up to 12,and the .177 runs nicest at usually mid to high 10( i say usually as there will be a few that will go past 11 and still shoot nice)

Blackmax likes this.
  20. AndyGFitness

so far i had decided TBT kit is going to be the way forward , i am unsure where to get it so if someone would send me a link that would be great !

barrel shroud will most likely be a full length version of 'pixels' which will be made by 'bl4de' ... i havent seen any picture of nicks or had any info on his but i would love to if anyone knows any links or has any....

im struggling to find a black synthetic stock to fit the hw99s , i heard the hw50 is the same stock but there where some synthetic stocks going around ... again this was off the member who told me about the power to run it at so not sure how right he is .