1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Hw99 vs 95

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, May 18, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

What's peoples views on how they compare? As I've used a 95 both tuned and untuned as well as a 98.

But these 99's and tinbums tuning kits are getting great reviews.

littleJon365 likes this.
  2. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Hi Tom,

Haven't used a 95 so can't compare but I have a tuned 99 and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot. Nice a light weight, very accurate. As mine is the Imp it also has the shortened barrel. If I didn't already have it I would have bought TinBums own offering when it went up for sale a little while ago (especially at the price it went up for). :)

cheers
    Tim

3. 177

177 Donator

I recently downsized my air rifles into low single figures.

That's the first time in two decades I've been into single figures, never mind low single figures.

Of those that remain I have an old and very tuned .20 HW95, a new and 'quite' ;) tuned .22 HW95 luxus, and my shortened and tuned HW99s in .177

I have a PCP and a gas ram rifle and that's it where air guns are concerned. Astonishing for me, believe me :rolleyes:

Apologies for the rubbish picture:

[​IMG]

I've said this before but, given the comparatively low asking price of the HW99s, I see no compelling reason to buy an HW95. You could get the 99 and tune it or have it tuned for the price of an off-the-peg 95.

The 99 in .22 shoots nicer out of the box than the 95 in the same calibre. Despite being smaller and lighter the 99 seems not to suffer the same muzzle flip as the 95 and I find it a much easier to gun to get along with and shoot accurately.

In .177 the 99 can struggle a little to make power but they can be made to run nicely at 11+ if that's what you want. I set mine at 11.4 for a while in .177 and then backed it off to 10.6 which is more than enough for sub 35 yard hunting, and it's easier to cock and nicer to shoot at the lower power.

Remember that 12 FPE is a limit to work within and not a target to reach...

Having had several of both I think I prefer the shooting and handling characteristics of the HW99s.

Your mileage may vary...

Reevo17, Hampshire Tog and foxtrott like this.
  4. cornishcreek

cornishcreek Donator

99 is a sweet rifle I've had both cals in 99 and 95 the one I still have is a 99s .22 say no more, it dose need a barrel weight or mod.

5. hairyarms

hairyarms .

View attachment 96567
    I have put a muzzle weight on mine.More of a cocking aid though,i have owned a.177 and a.22 95 and can honestly say this .177 99 is the more accurate gun.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  6. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

just to echo what others have already said, the 99 is imo also easier to shoot more accurately than the 95, ive had both and still own my 99

7. themadspread

themadspread Donator

why do people say wineracks are ugly those pics above all look belters to me

foxtrott likes this.
  8. Hoodster

Hoodster Engaging Member

I think the weihrauch break barrels look very nice sleek classic sporter stocks my favourite look on a rifle however imo there thumbhole stocks look ghastly and the sporter stock on the hw100 series looks awful with it's square cheek piece but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and each to their own and all that :)

9. 177

177 Donator

My current HW99s was originally .177

Having also owned a .22 example and having experienced how much nicer the .22 is to shoot, I ordered a .22 barrel from Germany and proceeded to cut down and dress a Titan mainspring to suit the larger calibre.

Ironically, I ended up reinstating the original internals and barrel, after deciding that it might shoot nicer in .22 but I was able to shoot the .177 configuration more accurately.

Fast forward to this morning where I had the .177 HW99s, the .20 HW95 and the .22 HW95 at Swarland Range. I was shooting at map pin heads at 30 yards :D

Using the .177 HW99s I was able to hit a few on the first shot but I was also about a pellet's width away on some shots. I jokingly suggested that maybe a bigger calibre might mean I would actually hit more map pin heads, and when I switched up to the .22 HW95 that proved to be the case.

That probably just goes to show something :rolleyes:

:D

Today clearly wasn't my day - the very best springer group I've ever shot was with this self-same HW99s in .177 flavour.

5 shots using Air Arms Field pellets, bench rested, at 40 yards:

[​IMG]

Yes, really :cool:

The potential is always there - today it was my fault that I didn't quite coax it out of the rig ;)

Hampshire Tog and foxtrott like this.
  10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Definately :D
    I think the thumbhole 97 looks way better than the un-inspiration sporter on them.

11. MAXWELL

MAXWELL Engaging Member

Do people prefer the shortened 99 barrel compared to the standard and if so what are the benefits

12. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

13. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

Having owned two hw95 and about eight 99 i bought the latest two days ago in .177 there is not the slightest doubt in my mind which gun has the edge. It will be no surprise given my recent problems with the 95 when i say the 99. For such a light gun it is very accurate and does not suffer from hold sensitivity unlike the 95. Even in .177 there is no need for weight on the barrel. Even though i add a tinbum steel sleeve to mine its just for the bull barrel look. I really like the 99 and cannot understand its critics when for half an hours work you can own the gun it will become. Oh and as said by .177 in the smaller calibre keep the power to about 10.5 ft lbs. The one i fixed brand new 2 days ago is 10.0ft lbs which i expect to rise as i shoot the gun.

14. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

Doesn't the 99 not shoot as nice if you cut the barrel down? I think there was a thread about the cut down sfs 99 not being as nice as the full length, maybe too much work involved to get it smooth again?

15. telephonepete

telephonepete Donator

I dont know my sandwell imp in .22 was rubbish. Why cut the barrel down and put the length back in the form of a silencer. Its not a loud springer. Sandwell said to me that chopping the barrel gave them lots of polishing to do to regain the lost power. I really dont get it.

foxtrott likes this.
  16. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

No and none - the 99s handles beautifully as-is...

17. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Only had the '95' but I've had 2, the second of which was returned due to a low power issue and was found to have something protruding into the compression chamber which had buggered the piston/seal and comp tube so I refused a replacement and ended up with the rifle I'm currently running...

Would love to try a '99' but I'm not confident I'd put my money on a 'Weihrauch' again if I'm honest, especially as the '99' already has a widely recognised issue let alone the possibility of something you don't know about...

Weihrauch QC seems to be heading south rapidly, I hear so many people say that the 97 is more than a match for AA's TX200 'uhhhhh' no it ain't, not without a fair amount of work first it ain't...

foxtrott likes this.
  18. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

The 99 will need more preload to make up lost power if the barrel is shortened. Hence probably not shoot as nicely

foxtrott likes this.
  19. shauny

shauny Top Poster

they shoot nicer with a full length barrel.

foxtrott and robs5230 like this.
  20. Morton54

Morton54 Engaging Member

Having bought the HW95K a couple of months ago your post is disturbing reading.. How would I know my rifle is not suffering from some similar faults??