1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Good news Hw97 Workover

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by monsta41, Mar 13, 2018.

1. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

I've just been to see Andy (blackmax) to pick up my hw97 after he did some work on it for me. First a bit of background..

The rifle was originally played with by someone else and they fitted a chambers kit into it for me, but i started to notice problems with it and thought it was over powered as it started acting up, it got noisy and started shooting groups like a shotgun, and wouldnt even hit a target card at 12m, well Andy chronoed it and it wasnt over which was a relief so he opened it up and basically discovered it was pretty much butchered inside..

The spring wasnt finished properly and the guy has left the washer and weight inside the chamber...the spring guide and tophat also were so loose they rattled about inside the spring. so after a bit of thinking i decided to pay out £40 for a TbT maxi tuning kit http://www.airrifletuning.com/product/weihrauch-hw97-77-maxi-tuning-kit/ and have Andy fit it for me. So he set about installing the kit in the rifle, he had to cut the spring down and refinish the ends to keep the rifle legal and roughly the power i wanted it at, around 11.2 ftlb. As part of his work he cleaned and polished everything and lubricated it all with TbT Bumslide.

Then he Tuned the trigger for me, stripping it down and cleaning everything before polishing all the bearing surfaces and lubing it and reassembling everything and put everything back in the action.

Now the gun was back together he shot some different brands of pellets through it, and it was around 11.2 ftlb and about 5fps spread here are some of the results.

JSB's 15.9 - 566/562/562/565/565 - 11.3 fpe.
    H & N FTT 14.66 - 581/582/583/578/578 - 11.1 fpe.
    Falcon Accuracy Plus 13.43 - 613/608/608/612/612 - 11.2 fpe.

So now with it shooting more consistantly he set about the next stage of the work, he opened up the mod and removed the woefully sad weihrauch internals and fitted a 2 chamber set with a baffle he turned on his lathe and wrapped them up in accoustic material.

So now the result of Andys work speaks for itself, and i'm very happy with it.
    Cocking is lighter and smoother.
    The gun shoots very consistantly.
    Its much quieter than it ever was with no twang from the action and hardly any bang from the muzzle.
    The trigger is crisp and smooth like glass, with a very nice smooth pull and release.
    And there is now a nice TbT sticker on the action.

Now I have to re-fit the scope, zero it and shoot some groups (i'll get some pics when I have time)

I would like to say a big thank you to Tinbum (Nick) for the kit and an even bigger thank you to Blackmax (Andy) for doing a sterling job making my hw97 shoot how it should have been in the first place, and it only took him a couple of days, and the cost was very reasonable considering all the work he has done on the rifle.

If you are thinking of getting your rifle worked on I would definately recommend getting Andy to do the work for you, you can message him on here @Blackmax.

Thanks for reading :) I hope this helps you make your mind up if you are thinking of having your gun worked on.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Isn't great that you can get a skilled and trusted member to work on your rifle and know it will be done properly.
    Well done Andy, good post Carl..

Ray

Scott, monsta41 and dan00001 like this.
  3. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

yes it is ray, and the best bit, he only lives a 10 minute drive away :)

4. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Result all round Carl ;)

Ray

monsta41 likes this.
  5. Blackmax

Blackmax Very Active

Thanks for your positive comments Carl, I'm glad your pleased with it and a real pleasure sorting it out for you.

monsta41 likes this.
  6. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

:hunting:you're welcome andy, but the pleasure is going to be all mine :up:

Blackmax likes this.
  7. Scott

Scott Very Active

Nice one Andy :up:

Carl Its a shame you got Andy to do all that amazing work improving your 97 and you still can't hit anything with it.... :facepalm:
    What to do is just send it up to me and I'll look after it properly mate :up: :D ;) :p

PumpnGun and Blackmax like this.
  8. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

ill show you at the meet lol... ill get my eye in with it ;) scott this smilie looks like you lol we can have a little comp to ourselves lol
    maybe ill use my old mk1 stingray that andy also did for me

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    PumpnGun, Blackmax and Scott like this.
  9. Rob-ontarget

Rob-ontarget Keyboard Hero

Sounds like a result..
    If i were to buy another springer i think id choose a 97 and send it to Blackmax too..:up::up:

Blackmax and monsta41 like this.
  10. KEEP A LOW PROFILE

KEEP A LOW PROFILE Engaging Member

Looks like you have got your 97 well sorted Monsta, you sound really pleased with the result. Hope the grouping reflects all the work that's been done :thumb:.

KALP

monsta41 likes this.
  11. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

im sure it will mate...

KEEP A LOW PROFILE likes this.
  12. Blackmax

Blackmax Very Active

By the way Carl, I've written out a card for the AGF charity draw with a free full service, standard TBT tuning kit including fitting and if it's an HW I'll do the trigger too.

Scott and monsta41 like this.
  13. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

I hope it lasts longer than mine Carl! My 97 fell apart last night! Only kidding!!!

I’m in total agreement! Meeting @Blackmax , discussing what to do, having the work done and the end result has been a very pleasant experience indeed.

Andy has done my 95 and 97 and I couldn’t be more pleased. And Andy was very kind to offer advice when I decided to have a go myself on the 99!! True gent!

monsta41 and Blackmax like this.